Best biome to settle in. (SPOILERS)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MaxAstro

Re: Best biome to settle in. (SPOILERS)

Post by MaxAstro »

My biome-settling choice is typically influenced by one thing only: I ~hate~ having to deal with storms re: windmills.

So I don't really care what biome my main base is - as long as it's not jungle - but I will almost always settle on the border between another biome and desert.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
jagoly

Post by jagoly »

Earlygame, I've settled at the base of some extreme hills. They have plenty of nice advantages to make up for the extra hunger usage:
  • They are great landmarks, as I get lost very easily.
    They (mine at least) are full of shallow pools, perfect for farms, and no hats.
    You can use the peaks as lookouts for hostiles, before building a mob trap.
    Plenty of exposed coal, and small caves.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

I've skipped a lot of this thread as I'm still working my way through from a new game (in an old world) and haven't discovered everything I missed out on yet but in my opinion, you need to be near water and a high pond is ideal as you can terrace the land below it for a simple farm, then when you reach sea level (or your local lowpoint) you divert it underground to power your machines and transport/sorting systems!

Ideally this would be in a forest biome of either type for easy access to wood and I am quite partial, even since the btw adjustments to snow, to a snowy region because mobs really stand out against the white. The pine trees do not get as dense as oak so the forest never gets too dangerous and pine forests rarely give mobs a path up to the canopy level.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
ion

Post by ion »

by now with the changes made to sapling growth best is to settle into a forest biome. lot's of wood to chop and animals to kill, just beware of wolves