Hardcore Headwear SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Jeet

Re: Hardcore Headwear SPOILERS

Post by Jeet »

Nice sound effect on that too by the way.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Jeet wrote:FlowerChild you bastard..... :)
<dances>

Sounds like that incident worked out exactly according to plan ;)

And yes, the oceans are a rather dangerous place at night now (much like the rest of the world). You don't want to be traveling on or near them once the sun goes down.

In addition to plugging the design holes in terms of oceans being a rather exploity safe-zone at night, I'm also hoping this will make ocean travel more interesting, with the need to at least find an island to spend the night on when exploring.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Woot...well done and well played sir :) This spells the end of me using oceans for safe spots...
Six

Post by Six »

Ahhhh, the night was the key. Very nice sir.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote:Ahhhh, the night was the key. Very nice sir.
Yeah, that bit is slightly less obvious then I had hoped it would be, as one of the things I triaged for the release at the end would have made it more apparent.

Will get that in shortly though :)

Not just night BTW: darkness in general. Their behavior is similar to spiders that way, so descending into the depths of the ocean is always dangerous.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

I just tested this out, and this is the only thing I have to say
Spoiler
Show
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:...
In addition to plugging the design holes in terms of oceans being a rather exploity safe-zone at night, I'm also hoping this will make ocean travel more interesting, with the need to at least find an island to spend the night on when exploring.
Doing the swamp update first was brilliant. Out in the middle of an ocean with the sun setting fast there is one vital item you need above all others. The humble lilypad which now requires the player to brave the witches of the swamps to collect.
Better is the enemy of Good
piter_50

Post by piter_50 »

I am glad squids got upgraded from boat breaking speed bump hazard to...well this!

Can witches spawn on land only? I had used a swamp as a safe haven just the other day prior to update. I found a bunch of shallow water with no nearby islands, dropped a sand block, and stood on it until sunrise whilst collecting nearby lilypads.
Panda

Post by Panda »

So right as i have my first squid attack i was playing my itunes with minecraft. Right after my itunes switched songs a squid latched on and... well.. this was the song it choose....

This feels soo sensually wrong... ///_///
Never say no to Panda.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Panda wrote: This feels soo sensually wrong... ///_///
Bow chikka bow wow. lol
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Ok this is what has happened today:
I had died previously when I had made a nether tunnel to find an inhabited village, built a new portal and popped up a very long way from home where I proceeded to get killed by a creeper + skeleton combo.
So, I finally found redstone and was heading back to my main base after a long time spent trying to recover from said death. The compass pointed me straight over an ocean, so I built a boat and started travelling. I kept dodging squids mainly to make sure that they didnt break my boat, but as soon as it turned night I noticed that they made this strange sound whenever I got close. It scared the shit out of me. I couldn't go ashore due to all the monsters spawning, but I was too scared of the squids to slow down my boat in the open water. I kept going in large circles trying to zig-zag my way through the clusters of squids while waiting for the sun to save me.
Once daytime came I managed to go ashore and shortly there after I found my old base. I grabbed a shovel, axe and pickaxe (all made of stone), threw anything else I had into a chest and headed to my nether portal. I wanted to go to where I had died in order to recover my lost gear (mostly my mattock and battle axe). As soon as I exited the portal it was early morning and most mobs were starting to catch fire. A creeper exploded right next to me, breaking the portal, and the nearby water had a skeleton floating right next to my gear. After managing to get rid of the skeleton I picked up the floating stuff and started diving towards the bottom to hopefully get a hold of my SFS tools. Just as things got gloomy I saw a squid swim right at my face and it didn't take long until I was dead, respawned and lost.
This time I spawned near a swamp, and while the witches are scary and definitely keep me on the cautious side, I have to say that squids are even scarier. Trying to outrun a single squid in 1 block shallow water at night was among the most intense situations I've had in BTW so far.

Thank you for this FC, it's been an awesome experience so far!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Tekei wrote:Thank you for this FC, it's been an awesome experience so far!
Hehe...awesome stuff man. Thanks for taking the time to write the story up, as it's extremely gratifying for me to hear how these things impact people's play experience after putting so much work into them :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Panda wrote:So right as i have my first squid attack i was playing my itunes with minecraft. Right after my itunes switched songs a squid latched on and... well.. this was the song it choose....
Spoiler
Show
This feels soo sensually wrong... ///_///
Now listen to this song while looking at these images the internet was so nice to provide...
Spoiler
Show
Its amazing the stuff that exists on the internet...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rule 34. :-P
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

I'm glad that sea travel/sea as a safe spot has finally been nerfed to some degree. And aside from all the head hugging, squids can also now send you GOD DAMN FLYING. I ran into a group of them in a boat and I got thrown across the water like a rag doll, although that's probably the most optimal result when encoutering a squid now. I'm going to do some testing to see if I can harness this power in some way, squids seems like they might just be a viable mode of fast travel...

I'm also becoming more and more convinced that the nether is the safest place in the BTW world now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The flinging may be overdone on occasion, as I didn't take into account the possibility of getting hit with multiple tentacles at once, and cap the velocity attained based on that.

I just fixed that earlier today for the next release. If you're hit by only one squid, you'll see you only go flying a limited distance, and that was the result I was aiming for rather than the epic flight trajectories that people are sometimes taking right now if ganged up on ;)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

So, tonight I started to build my mob trap (similar setup as Vioki and Charley use in the LP where I build it in an ocean in order to skip having to deal with screw pumps etc).
I was naive enough to think that I could be safe enough from the hats working in day light but I soon learned that the ocean I'm building in is way too deep to be safe.
All I can say is that Vioki and Charley should be happy that they built their trap before hardcore hats. ;)

Hardcore headwear is rapidly turning into my most common cause of death. I was lucky enough to spawn very close to my base this time, but I guess I should go to bed before I die to my own stupidity again.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...it's definitely an adjustment to learn to fear the water. There's a lot of subtle ramifications to gameplay in what that does.

For example, the old trick of building farms out on the water is not quite as appealing as it once was. Same for "safe" paths made out of a single block of cobble or whatever just cutting through the ocean. Heck, it even encourages building docks for your boats so that you don't disembark in deep water and accidentally fall down into the gloom.

I think we all became habituated to water acting as a safe-zone of sorts, which has crept into our playstyle in many different ways. I'm sure people will be adjusting for quite awhile to come to all those little things, and yes, it does make underwater construction projects quite a bit more dangerous ;)
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Daisjun wrote:I'm glad that sea travel/sea as a safe spot has finally been nerfed to some degree. And aside from all the head hugging, squids can also now send you GOD DAMN FLYING. I ran into a group of them in a boat and I got thrown across the water like a rag doll, although that's probably the most optimal result when encoutering a squid now. I'm going to do some testing to see if I can harness this power in some way, squids seems like they might just be a viable mode of fast travel...

I'm also becoming more and more convinced that the nether is the safest place in the BTW world now.
Ohhhh!!!! This totally reminds me of the Icarian flight scroll from Morrowind!!!! BEST THING EVAR!!!
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehehe...just wanted to say that I've been putting a lot of work into further refining the squid behavior for next release, and I'm particularly pleased with the results.

I've been having waaaaay too much fun implementing this stuff :)
Nethel

Post by Nethel »

In my new world I built my crops on the surface of a nearby lake, as I'm sure many people have. Didn't think the changes were going to affect my build much, as all my irrigation canals are enclosed, my walkways on top of them. Silly me. I now have roving packs of hunter-killer squid swimming through my canals, following my every step, taking swipes at me whenever there's a gap.

Best release ever.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nethel wrote:Best release ever.
Thanks man! I've been a little surprised at how there's been no comment on the refinements I made in this last release. IMO, the levels of chaos it causes are truly inspiring and resulted in some real lol moments for me.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I would love to comment on such mayhem FC. But the sea, she scares me. I stay away.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, the sea scares me too, but the chaos in question tends to occur even when you're away from the ocean.

You guys will know it when you see it ;)
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Briali wrote:...a good plate helm will protect you from being eaten by hats...
A good plate helm will not, however, protect you from being launched out of your boat, nor from sinking inexorably to the bottom because you're wearing a good plate helm, nor from removing said good plate helm to swim desperately towards the surface, and finally, the good plate helm you aren't wearing anymore definitely won't protect you from being eaten by hats.

EDIT: And losing your good plate helm, which cost way too much SFS in the first place. Damn you, FC.