Tech-tree progression without dying

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
JiiKoo

Tech-tree progression without dying

Post by JiiKoo »

While lurking around, I saw this in the MCF thread
Flowerchild wrote:I know of only one BTW player that is able to play through the entire mod's tech-tree without dying a single time, and she gets mad props for it.
and got to thinking. How far do you guys get before your first death? I haven't started new worlds after 4.891 and put that one on a short hiatus after my recent stupid death in the Nether involving tunneling near the top of the Nether and not noticing a step was missing before trying to jump on it... I'd just gotten up to SFS and was about to start looking for a village before that happened. I do believe with the changes to the Nether and other things since then getting that far from scratch could be a bit more difficult, though.

A related thing I was curious about is what is actually considered the last branch of the tech-tree as it stands? I'm thinking a beacon, but I could be totally wrong. It sounds like a challenge I'd like to take on, even if it would be next to impossible to prove it in the unlikely event I succeeded.
Mason11987

Re: Tech-tree progression without dying

Post by Mason11987 »

JiiKoo wrote:While lurking around, I saw this in the MCF thread
Flowerchild wrote:I know of only one BTW player that is able to play through the entire mod's tech-tree without dying a single time, and she gets mad props for it.
and got to thinking. How far do you guys get before your first death? I haven't started new worlds after 4.891 and put that one on a short hiatus after my recent stupid death in the Nether involving tunneling near the top of the Nether and not noticing a step was missing before trying to jump on it... I'd just gotten up to SFS and was about to start looking for a village before that happened. I do believe with the changes to the Nether and other things since then getting that far from scratch could be a bit more difficult, though.

A related thing I was curious about is what is actually considered the last branch of the tech-tree as it stands? I'm thinking a beacon, but I could be totally wrong. It sounds like a challenge I'd like to take on, even if it would be next to impossible to prove it in the unlikely event I succeeded.
I would say this feat would mean having your first death be covered by your full soul forged steel beacon. In effect, never experiencing hardcore spawn. Since that probably necessitates a soul forged steel factory.

But it might also mean building various automation builds not required for soul forged steel, like an animal farm, or hemp farm, or pump tower, or a huge auto-sorting mob trap.

I've only made a few runs since the early game got hard, and I never made it to diamonds without a death yet.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I've made it to Mech power without dying at all, I'm currently trying to find wolves to get a saw and bellows. I also still need to find a fortress for blazes. I suspect i may face my first ever true hardcore spawn. The only two I have ever had before put me at the doorstep to my bases (2 different worlds), and i have always restarted before really getting going in a world other than those 2 worlds. I do believe FC has cured me of world restart syndrome, though, as i have worked my ass off to get where i am.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

JiiKoo wrote:How far do you guys get before your first death?
The most dangerous phase of the early-to-mid game for me (and my most common first death) is after I've worked up to iron tools and I'm exploring the deepest caves I can find in the hopes of running across some diamonds. If I can get past that, things usually go more smoothly.
JiiKoo wrote:I'm thinking a beacon, but I could be totally wrong. It sounds like a challenge I'd like to take on, even if it would be next to impossible to prove it in the unlikely event I succeeded.
I think once you have an SFS beacon you can safely argue you've survived the entire tech tree :)
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Usually my first deaths start occurring when looking for diamonds and mostly because i become impatient and frustrated. Itry to accelerate how the rate i'm moving through the cave rather than taking time to bait things out of the darkness.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Usually my first deaths start occurring when looking for diamonds and mostly because i become impatient and frustrated. Itry to accelerate how the rate i'm moving through the cave rather than taking time to bait things out of the darkness.
That's my bane as well. Looking for diamond/redstone is what usually kills me. That and nether strongholds.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Mine is usually nether fortresses. The number of times that I go hunting for blaze rods and then have blazes spawn in the previously "secured" passages back to base is really annoying. I've made it past that point once or twice with out death, but I've never made it to Beacons. Prior to getting blaze rods it's all about patience and mitigating risk. After blaze rods, I tend to have enough automation that I have solid equipment at which means if I die, I was being quite dumb.
Last edited by PatriotBob on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, looking for diamonds used to kill me the most as well until I implemented a self-imposed rule that I wouldn't descend into the bottom strata without an iron sword and full armor (cloth/leather/padded).

I still consider Soulforged Steel to be the "top" of the tech tree with most of what follows being endgame content.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

You can easily get to SFS without dying. One thing that early game has taught me is not to rush. I see no need to rush early game. I've become a very strategic player because of that. My observations/rules from playing numerous early game runs to SFS without death are.

- Going nomadic will kill you imho, constantly going into new areas that you are not familiar with.
- Taking risks that don't need to be taken. Caving is one of those risks. And as boring as it is hiding at night is best (gather cobble if you are bored)
- Too focused on iron, coal is more important early game. And imho iron hoe is the best first iron tool.
- Food is more important then anything. (psst. fishing)
- Never rush the early game.

Until I have an iron sword I scour the surrounding areas for surface coal/iron. Like FC said caving only when I have a sword/armour and lots of torches. When it comes to middle-late game the same observations apply.

Slow and methodical always gets me there.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

The first death that got me in my newest world was falling into a ravine that was exposed to the surface through a single-block hole. The other was the trolly lava from past versions flaming me in the nether fortress.

I don't have the best of luck.
LupusExMachina

Post by LupusExMachina »

After dying a couple of times on my first few hardcore early game tries, I once made it up to a full set of iron tools without dying.

Back there the creeper drop of death was still in the game.
That combined with a skeleton got me.

Sadly I only learned a while after that, that compasses point to the original spawn.
Now I have a couple of nicely developed early game bases waiting to be rediscovered in my world :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I had a bit of a rough start after the early game changes adjusting my play style and being a lot more cautious. Generally now I don't die prior to accessing the nether unless it's from some extreme circumstances. Most recently I had just got my first iron pick all bright and shiny in the new world I was playing after returning to play for the first time in a few months. I had leather pants, a wool hat, plenty of food and torches and was cave diving to get some more iron/ access the last strata. I ran into a particularly open cavern and quickly made my way into the nearest side branch. As I was trying to light it up and block myself in, I heard zombies behind me and turned to see no less than 6 zombies emerge from various side caves to come after me. As I was battling them, I forgot I hadn't lit everything up in the side branch I ducked into, and got attacked from behind as well. I knew I was doomed there so I jumped off the ledge into the dark cavernous space in an attempt to give myself some room to pick them off, and I found myself backing into another unlit side cavern with gloom setting in still with 5 zombies 2 with shovels (more had showed up, I know I killed at least 5) . I died. It was crazy outside of a spawner I've never been ganked by that many before. I suspect there was a spawner nearby the previous branch I was in and walking out into this space allowed them to path to me.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

In current world I had one death due to lag in the nether. By my screen, I had successfully tunneled into the wall but on returning and looking for stuff, found no hole in the wall. Had a few in that initial time right after that... wolves and fist fights don't mix. Oh, and one intentional one to test out our plan for dealing with HC spawns.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.