Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Yhetti

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:-snip-
I feel like if they did do a Mod API, it would probably be completely useless to you as you do so many modifications to things like player movements and hunger anyways. If the new worldgen is any good, then I would agree, it would be worth it just for that. But some of the things, like horses, were done much better by Better than Horses anyways, so it would be cool to see the community completely in control of what goes into the game.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote: I feel like if they did do a Mod API, it would probably be completely useless to you as you do so many modifications to things like player movements and hunger anyways.
It would still be useful in simplifying things.

However, it's become clear to me that what I consider to be a mod API, and what Mojang do, are two entirely different things. I just want a nice set of useful hooks, maybe some code refactoring in a few select areas to facilitate modding, some basic ML style functionality, and to get rid of extraneous tools like MCP (like why if Mojang supports modding they obfuscate the code and make us artificially dependent on a third party tool is beyond me), and I consider that the base-line out of what I'd expect from an API (heck, I thought we'd be getting that level of functionality maybe a year and a half ago). They seem to view it more as some kind of theoretical exercise in automatic mod distribution while making modding actually be more time consuming and more limited in the process, and it appears to be going nowhere fast.

I'm just really not on the same page as them anymore, and that applies to a wide range of areas.
waffleminer

Post by waffleminer »

mojang made a new post about the upcoming world changeshttps://mojang.com/2013/08/minecraft-wo ... or-update/

tl;dr version more islands/less oceans, biomes are now divide into 4 categories:snow-covered, cold, medium, and dry/warm, they will try to avoid spawning next to biomes that are too diferent, new biomes, rare variation biomes, and new plants/trees.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

They maps they show actually look pretty nice. I think they may have gone overboard on shrinking the oceans though...
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Sarudak wrote:They maps they show actually look pretty nice. I think they may have gone overboard on shrinking the oceans though...
They definitely went overboard. I can see why they want to trim them down a little, since they can often be ridiculously large, but oceans are... you know, large. It doesn't look like the new oceans are nearly large enough to isolate the continents in any significant way.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, the ocean thing basically says to me that they've given up on making underwater content interesting.
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

I dunno I remember back in beta when finding a really big body of water was kinda exciting. It would be nice to have this kind of water formations but still with the occasional ocean. I still think that the oceans now should be at "least" half the size they are now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think the ocean thing will likely be the final nail the coffin for me ever updating past 1.5. I've spent way too long balancing BTW to just throw the existing geography completely out the window, and likely have to rebalance and make interesting a bunch of new biomes when I'm just finally achieving that with the last ones they added (jungles & swamps). I'm also fairly certain that any new biomes will have zero consideration towards actual game design and just be pretty(?) new locations that only provide aesthetic variety with no real gameplay impact.

Not my final decision (still want to see and play the final product), but it's looking more and more unlikely that I'll be updating with each new revelation. They'd really have to pull something magical out of their hat now, and their track record doesn't suggest that's likely to happen.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Shipwrecks and maybe ruins rarely on the sea bed would have been a neat addition.

While I agree the oceans are a little much having a Pangea with sporadic lakes is equally displeasing.

Unfortunate they just add new biomes to include more blocks.

Edit: Lol! Off the MC forums...

vMC 1.7 - The Minnesota Update
Spoiler
Show
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

To be honest, that doesn't look too bad. Definitely better than the current generator where it's just full of oceans. I'll have to wait for the update before judging it.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I like the new landmasses :) long ago i heard that if you explored enough, a map from far away would just look grey with all the colors mixed together. But the way it generates now is so blue and uneven with other biomes that its difficult to explore really far without being lost at sea. The ocean biomes in the example map look small, but compared to those tiny little plains and forest biomes, I think we're mistaking them to being smaller than they are, they could possibly be "Large Biome" size. Plus the increase in islands makes for interesting features and possible places for "land" marks to be built on for sea travel.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
devak

Post by devak »

I was quite exited seeing the new biome overview. Then i noticed purple and realized that's probably mushroom biome.

I already find them hard to find now, how on earth do i manage it in 1.7?
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

I think FC won't like Grum's last tweet a bit ...
Erik Broes ‏@_grum 2h
I think I just did the biggest refactor in Minecraft history, 222 commits, 379 files changed, 25023 lines of diffs. Breaks all the things!
https://twitter.com/_grum
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Jeb has made the oceans a little bigger/more frequent.
http://m.imgur.com/a/HiVco
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

I may be a minority, but I really, really like the overwhelmingly huge oceans MineCraft has always had. They kinda remind me of, I dunno, real oceans?

They also present a cool gameplay challenge, since once you set out on one of those oceans you never know how many days it'll be before you hit land - and worse it's really, really easy to get lost.

This change where everything is inland seas rather than oceans really disappoints me. :(
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Actually the 'oceans' used to be quite small to the point where I had trouble finding open water more than 200 meters across. The ones we have in 1.5 are good but I would prefer bigger, 5 kilometer in the smallest dimension oceans so this feels like sprinting in the wrong direction to me.
Better is the enemy of Good
micrometalus

Post by micrometalus »

SterlingRed wrote:Jeb has made the oceans a little bigger/more frequent.
http://m.imgur.com/a/HiVco

This doesnt feel so bad now, but i wouldnt mind this in combination with a very infrequent large 'ocean'. Would feel more like the difference between lakes, seas, and oceans.
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Ugh. :(
New sliders.
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 4312328192
Nathan Adams
@Dinnerbone
I added some more sliders. dinnerbone.com/media/uploads/…
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

kjbrona wrote:Ugh. :(
New sliders.
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 4312328192
Nathan Adams
@Dinnerbone
I added some more sliders. dinnerbone.com/media/uploads/…

The slider for the weather seems the only pratical one since I normaly play with headphones on and rainsound pretty much renders the game unplayable ( I know I could turn down the particals - but placenta... you know?)
Still having the possibilaty to get agressie mobs unreasonable loud in comperison to the other sounds seems like a new way for cheating - why does mojang make the game easier and cheatier with every update?
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

AddyBaha wrote:
The slider for the weather seems the only pratical one since I normaly play with headphones on and rainsound pretty much renders the game unplayable ( I know I could turn down the particals - but placenta... you know?)
Still having the possibilaty to get agressie mobs unreasonable loud in comperison to the other sounds seems like a new way for cheating - why does mojang make the game easier and cheatier with every update?
Eh I don't know, the passive/friendly slider seems useful to me... I hate going near any of my farms for any length of time since the constant Mooing and baaing drive me mad. Especially when the farms start to get big, and I have to put machines near em.

I get what your saying about aggressive being cheaty though....makes the sneakiness of a creeper kinda not worth it.
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

In btw managing noise levels around your base is actually kind of a feature. That's why millstones are so loud, it forces you to spread your base out a little.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Two changes that you CAN'T bitch about.

@Dinnerbone:

2013-08-30 10:24:46 UTC

First up, you can clone books now. Same as maps, any amount of unwritten books + a written one. They stack too. dinnerbone.com

@Dinnerbone:

2013-08-30 10:25:09 UTC

Hitting an item frames gives you the item, hitting an empty item frame gives you the item frame. Also, this: dinnerbone.com
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

thekyz wrote:I think FC won't like Grum's last tweet a bit ...
Erik Broes ‏@_grum 2h
I think I just did the biggest refactor in Minecraft history, 222 commits, 379 files changed, 25023 lines of diffs. Breaks all the things!
https://twitter.com/_grum
100+ lines of diff per commit on average? Maybe java is a bit bulkier than I remember but that seems by far too excessive. That doesn't just break others code, that breaks the ability to merge branches within the existing code base.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And just when I thought they were all out of final nails :)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

kjbrona wrote:Ugh. :(
New sliders.
Actually, that's not terrible. Remember that there are quite a lot of competing solutions to sound feeding quite a lot of different solutions to play the sound - people using realtek ALC into Audio Technica Studio Monitor headphones will have relatively noisier rain than people using Burr-Brown into a Wharfdale Diamond 5.1 setup as just one example. Giving us separate volume controls for different channels is most definitely a good thing.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.