Patch 1.8 is "leaked"

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Tekei

Re: Patch 1.8 is "leaked"

Post by Tekei »

I'm pretty sure the first one means that you can't plant melons and pumpkins on tilled earth.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

On a positive note, the number of Strongholds per world has been bumped up to 3... Hopefully we'll be able to find a few now =]
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

I knew t. Jeb just tweeted that there won't be an update today. He also said that he will update the pre-release tomorrow. Lame.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'll be gone until Thursday or Friday, I'm guessing 1.8 (and possibly 1.8.1 and 1.8.2) will be out by then.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

PuppetRebel wrote:I knew t. Jeb just tweeted that there won't be an update today. He also said that he will update the pre-release tomorrow. Lame.
Whats lame about it? I'm happy they're at least trying to keep the releases clean, besides, the pre-release will let you test it anyway so what is there to complain about?
He also didn't say he'll update the pre-release tomorrow. He said:
There wont be an update today, but tomorrow I will *at least* update the prerelease
That means that IF he can't release the "real" 1.8 tomorrow he will at least update the pre-release.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Triskelli wrote:On a positive note, the number of Strongholds per world has been bumped up to 3... Hopefully we'll be able to find a few now =]
Hopefully they will have a use before they release 1.8...
But I guess I will do as Battosay said already. I already downgraded to 1.7.3 and installed my mods again - at least until IC² updates, which I need because of the world seed changes :/.
I have yet to see a seed that yields an awsome river like in the screenshot they released. The best I've got so far was that island seed and one for flat plane in a jungle biome, which was so boring that I already forgot it ^^.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Tekei wrote:
PuppetRebel wrote:I knew t. Jeb just tweeted that there won't be an update today. He also said that he will update the pre-release tomorrow. Lame.
Whats lame about it? I'm happy they're at least trying to keep the releases clean, besides, the pre-release will let you test it anyway so what is there to complain about?
He also didn't say he'll update the pre-release tomorrow. He said:
There wont be an update today, but tomorrow I will *at least* update the prerelease
That means that IF he can't release the "real" 1.8 tomorrow he will at least update the pre-release.
It's lame because they're missing another date. Don't misunderstand me, I'm grateful for the pre-release and I'll be happy to have a stable official update. What frustrates me is the fact that it's taking so long. A sentiment I've seen on the MC forums that kind of fits my thinking here is that a modder can add more to the game in a week than Mojang can in 2 months. I realize it's a big update and needed a lot of work, however I kind of had faith in their ability to deliver when they said they would. They have more resources and more money than any modder and it just seems to me that they could deliver on their promises. It seems to me like now they are rushing to get something out. I don't get why Jeb's list is so long.

That being said, even though I want to complain about what isn't included in 1.8, I'm actually really happy with the amount of content that they did add.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Yeah, I hear you.
I agree that Mojang's planning can seem a bit lacking... I think they should adapt to a proper schedule tbh. SCRUM is a method we used in school that at least worked out well for us. I've heard a lot of bad things about it as well but if you ask me it's a good method that suits game development (even more so in small scale) more than fine.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Exactly. That SCRUM thing actually looks pretty effective to me.
Honestly, I wouldn't have cared if they told everyone 1.8 wasn't going to come out until October or something, as long as they hit their date.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

The second pre-release is up if anyone is interested.
jeb_ wrote:Ok, so here's the second "pre-release," only use it if you know what to do with the JAR: http://t.co/A3aXYOG
jeb_ wrote:The beta 1.8 pre-release 2 server is located here: http://t.co/crs68nh
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

This tweet was important too I think :
As it looks now, beta 1.9 will also require new generation
So don't get too attached to your 1.8 worlds :/
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Battosay wrote:This tweet was important too I think :
As it looks now, beta 1.9 will also require new generation
So don't get too attached to your 1.8 worlds :/
Good catch! I missed htat one somehow. Can't seem to find it in my feed.

I guess I'll stick to my pre-release1 world for now then and start a new one once 1.9 arrives.
Urian

Post by Urian »

If you stay close to your home then you shouldn't need to make a new world. Just go into the nether and go far far away and build a portal. You should be in newly generated terrain (at least the new biomes are accessible that way, can't say about villages and such)
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

What does this 2nd pre release involves actually? Or can anybody give me a link where I can read about it?
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Urian wrote:If you stay close to your home then you shouldn't need to make a new world. Just go into the nether and go far far away and build a portal. You should be in newly generated terrain (at least the new biomes are accessible that way, can't say about villages and such)
That's an iffy way to do it. If you follow either Coestar or Kurtjmac (the guy who does Far Lands or Bust), you'll see that there's a good chance that you'll end up in a massive ocean biome, with the only land being tiny islands that are around the size of Survival Island or even smaller.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Urian

Post by Urian »

Katalliaan wrote:That's an iffy way to do it. If you follow either Coestar or Kurtjmac (the guy who does Far Lands or Bust), you'll see that there's a good chance that you'll end up in a massive ocean biome, with the only land being tiny islands that are around the size of Survival Island or even smaller.
Underwater base! Since it's not your first base, you should have plenty of resources to built with anyhow. A huge ocean also means that it's much easier to make passive mob farms, no grass except where you want it (you'll need a grass bridge or piston a grass block to your farm though).
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

So, something i just noticed: it seems that that the squid can now swim properly, and will no longer sink to the bottom anymore! huzzah!
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

I also have yet to find an abandoned mine.
O.o
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

PuppetRebel wrote: It's lame because they're missing another date. Don't misunderstand me, I'm grateful for the pre-release and I'll be happy to have a stable official update. What frustrates me is the fact that it's taking so long. A sentiment I've seen on the MC forums that kind of fits my thinking here is that a modder can add more to the game in a week than Mojang can in 2 months. I realize it's a big update and needed a lot of work, however I kind of had faith in their ability to deliver when they said they would. They have more resources and more money than any modder and it just seems to me that they could deliver on their promises. It seems to me like now they are rushing to get something out. I don't get why Jeb's list is so long.

That being said, even though I want to complain about what isn't included in 1.8, I'm actually really happy with the amount of content that they did add.
It's because Mojang is just a little indie game developer. Indie game companies normally earn peanuts, which is why they have to keep their staff so small. But Mojang have hit the jackpot with minecraft, so they are using it's fame while they can to pump out more titles, make more money, hire more staff (for every game but minecraft), and gain a firmer foothold into the competitive games market.

While this is having a negative effect on minecraft from our point of view, the sales figures don't reflect that. People are still buying minecraft in their millions just because of the concept of the game, and all the whining in the world from the forums isn't going to impact those figures.

Mojang's goal isn't to make minecraft the best it can be. Their goal is to be the next EA games/activision whatever, and make their future games as big a hit as minecraft. Hell they could release minecraft as it is right now and still make ridiculous amounts of money. And if you think that's a bad idea, think about Twilight. Those movies got horrible reviews, but they are so popular amongst the teens that they have made over 2 billion dollars so far (cinema+DVDs).
Last edited by grimper12341 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

PuppetRebel wrote:I also have yet to find an abandoned mine.
O.o
They're MUCH rarer now. They're still around, they just dont honey comb the world anymore. I'd say they're about as rare as the orignal flavour dungeons, if not slightly more common now - So they're there, and they're a bit easier to find than the orginal dungeons, but they're still a big suprise.

(Now if i only you could get watermelon seeds from somewhere other than them - Watermelon i've found is a fantastic food source currently, although i think in a 1.8 BTW world, Bread or Beef (from cow-tipping) will out do it)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Mrchaim wrote:(Now if i only you could get watermelon seeds from somewhere other than them - Watermelon i've found is a fantastic food source currently, although i think in a 1.8 BTW world, Bread or Beef (from cow-tipping) will out do it)
Even though animal farming isn't in yet, you can farm chickens! The egg laying rate has increased substantially, so you can trap some chickens in a room sitting on a water stream and collect eggs, then kill the chickens for their meat, and throw the eggs into the room to spawn more chickens.

Just realised, this is ripe for automation with BTW for creating food, tallow (assuming chicken meat is treated the same as pork) and glue.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Notch just said 1.8 has been released! But Minecraft.net is down so we can't get it. :(
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

gftweek wrote:Notch just said 1.8 has been released! But Minecraft.net is down so we can't get it. :(
yay! now to wait for FC to come back from vaction, play 1.8, use his godlike skills to determine how we should be playing MC and make it epic.

And hope modloader, forge and that other-thing-FC-uses is updated in time. I really want to be able to mass-farm pumpkins ^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Stormweaver wrote:I really want to be able to mass-farm pumpkins ^.^
About that. How do you find pumkin seeds? I've only ever found melon seeds in mineshafts and wild pumkins dont seem to drop seeds.
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Hmmm, inevitable 1.8.1, 1.8.2, 1.8.3 incoming.... >.>