Everquest Next

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BobSlingblade679

Everquest Next

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

http://www.twitch.tv/everquestnext/c/2681754

Anybody else excited about this? I'm particularly interested in how they made this out of voxels.
Stompinlama

Re: Everquest Next

Post by Stompinlama »

As an MMO player I was wondering how long it was going to take for a company to do this. I am glad it was Everquest as I doubt many companies could pull it off.
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

The fact that its all voxels and their AI concept are my favorites.
Stompinlama

Post by Stompinlama »

It was bound to happen. I am currently playing Guild Wars 2 and while it tries to do many of the same things it did spend many years in development before voxels really became a thing again. The whole point and goal of an MMO is not only player interaction but player impact. This could really be a very good game assuming they don't mess it up, which they easily could. They do have a history of good MMOs and I seriously think really only 2 or 3 companies in the world could pull this off and I think they are one of them. Let's see how things turn out before we get too excited. :3

EDIT: After looking at the whole Landmark thing I am reminded of a game I played a few years back called Cube 2: Sauerbraten. It came with a map editor that distinctly reminds me of what they are doing with Landmark. While Cube 2 doesn't say it is voxels it would not surprise me in the slightest.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

That's some pretty big promises, but if they can pull it off, I will literally throw money at my screen until they take it.
Gears

Post by Gears »

It took too fucking long for me to get my life back from Everquest. If this turns out as good as they're saying it will be, I may have to go back to rehab...
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

Everquest was my first MMO, I remember doing a 90 man raid on Klandicar, and a 45 man NToV run while racing another guild. That was ... 15 years ago? EQ kinda set me off into gaming so I'm glad they are making a new game.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hmmm...in my typical skeptical manner, I'll just say "we'll see" :)

I skimmed through the video, not watching all of it, but I sense a catch somewhere. They are promising an awful lot.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

It going to have a real money market. Players can create anything and sell it for real money, which I am sure the company will take a cut of that.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

The Hype looks good, hopefully its not just hype though and the game lives up to what they are advertising.

I never got onto the Everquest games myself, but I like MMO's. I am looking forward to this game as long as its good.
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Hmm. Well. It looks really cool, but if they're really offering these features, then they're giving players an incredible amount of control over the world. First of all...I don't know that they can pull it off in any reasonable schedule or budget. But secondly, the problem with letting players have that kind of power is that players can easily destroy a world and turn it into a wasteland, which ruins it for everyone else. Too much griefing potential, and too many 12-year-olds who get a kick out of griefing. I'll try it out probably but I'm skeptical.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

jkievlan wrote:Hmm. Well. It looks really cool, but if they're really offering these features, then they're giving players an incredible amount of control over the world. First of all...I don't know that they can pull it off in any reasonable schedule or budget. But secondly, the problem with letting players have that kind of power is that players can easily destroy a world and turn it into a wasteland, which ruins it for everyone else. Too much griefing potential, and too many 12-year-olds who get a kick out of griefing. I'll try it out probably but I'm skeptical.
Well he does mention that as for the normal destructibility, it's temporary, and the world heals itself back over time.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

I have been following the blog of the guy that is responsable for the engine that is behind this game, he says that he is really glad that this game has found the potential and is using it well on his engine. Read and sub to the blog here ;)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO