Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Rob

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Rob »

EmptyNight wrote:Are you suggesting people participate in child slavery?
Undead Child Slavery. So it's okay.

-Reminds me of the woman in The Walking Dead series that kept zombies as pets by removing their teeth and arms to make them "harmless". lol
Gears

Post by Gears »

Rob wrote:
EmptyNight wrote:Are you suggesting people participate in child slavery?
Undead Child Slavery. So it's okay.

-Reminds me of the woman in The Walking Dead series that kept zombies as pets by removing their teeth and arms to make them "harmless". lol
Thankfully even Dinnerbone wouldn't be naive enough to add something like that.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gears wrote: Thankfully even Dinnerbone wouldn't be naive enough to add something like that.
You do realize you're tempting fate right?
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Gears wrote:Thankfully even Dinnerbone wouldn't be naive enough to add something like that.
Actually, I think the new "leads" do just the trick ;)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

the new launcher sucks, at least in their attempt to help us who do support.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Mikko_blu wrote:the new launcher sucks, at least in their attempt to help us who do support.
For someone who switches between BTW and Vanilla to play with Anti-BTW noobs who refuse to convert, the launcher can be quite handy. (I have never tried Multi-MC or anything like that, so I am not sure if there was always a better alternative to switching .jars manually)
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
GreenComet

Post by GreenComet »

EpicAaron wrote:For someone who switches between BTW and Vanilla to play with Anti-BTW noobs who refuse to convert, the launcher can be quite handy. (I have never tried Multi-MC or anything like that, so I am not sure if there was always a better alternative to switching .jars manually)
This might be too technical for some people, but I have a bunch of .bat files in the same folder as the old launcher, like this:
SET APPDATA=D:\Minecraft\BTW1_5
minecraft.exe
Then the actual .minecraft folder goes inside BTW1_5. It was pretty quick to set up a new jar: copy, say, D:\Minecraft\Vanilla1_5 to D:\Minecraft\BTW1_5, create a new bat file, and install BTW in the new folder. To play, I open my "MC Launchers" folder and double click on the appropriate .bat file.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Not sure if this is a joke, but... Disco Mountains.
jeb_ wrote:Yes, Minecraft will have disco mountains soon, http://i.imgur.com/Wi1Q8mO.jpg
Edit: Actually, it's been a long time since I've seen jeb_'s twitter. Apparently they've also been working on fixing lighting errors, so there's a plus. On the other hand, they've been redoing terrain generation, so current worlds will all look like shit at the boundaries.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Yep jeb has been messing with terrain Gen for no good reason. And dinner bone has been changing the option menus for not a lot of good reason either.

As far as lighting bug fixes... Don't hold your breath. The last few go arounds with it impacted performance so badly that they ripped the fixes back out.

Edit; and going even further back in lighting black hole fixes, they 'fixed it' more than once but the solutions never worked.
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

I actually kind of like that mountain style. It adds colour to the game, though if its hardened clay, it would seem a little strange.
If it comes to vMC it would be interesting, for vMC.
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

I ended up getting into a heated debate on reddit over these new 'canyon' biomes. I actually liked the hardened clay as it brought some new aesthetic blocks into the game with a variety of colour and it also gave people a reason to go deep sea diving or at least looking for some swamps to harvest the shit. Then as usual, the cries of the community (who we all know are whiny little kids who want things given to them on a platter) makes the dev team give those players an easy way out once again. I mean, I get that Mojang want to keep their fans happy, but seriously the fans *don't* know best.

/Rant over.

P.S. I've had a few beers so I apologize if I seem a little aggressive/antagonized.
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

No no Rich, you're right on target. Making hardened clay an easy access block like dirt I agree is a noob call from the little tykes that want survival mode to be creative mode. Although bricks are still the most valuable building block in mc...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
waffleminer

Post by waffleminer »

I'm really feeling sort of meh with the coming update on the one hand I'm glad that some new terrain will be coming, but on the other hand I'm worried that Mojang is going to pull another "ripoff of popular mod update" and we will end up with a bunch of biome that don't fit. As for my opinion of the two we've seen so far I like the forested Extreme hills; the canyon biome I'm still a little iffy I've always wanted a south-western biome but what we've got so far IMO seems like a really ugly eye-sore, not to mention the devaluing of hardened clay and the fact that it is basically a wasteland biome kind of like the desert but somehow worse. @rich I'm pretty sure I saw your post on reddit, it seemed perfectly reasonable but of course even the slightest criticism of things implemented by Mojang ends up with a torrent of downvotes and comments that are along the lines of "quit whining this update is great, everything Mojang adds is great, OMG why do you hate Mojang for adding such great and well thought out content" I guess it doesn't really matter I just feel that the whole culture of praise Mojang silence the critics is really bad for the future of minecraft, anyways I'm starting to ramble and I'm sure you get the point.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

One of the things that made me mad about minecraft was when they made clay more common. Notch had made the genius decision to make nice brick houses an accomplishment.

Now there will be a biome of hardened clay?

I haven't played vanilla recently at all, so I don't know if hardened clay can be turned into regular clay or not. I assume it can, because doing so would be a bad call.

Oh, well.
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

Jesar the hardened clay can't be turned back into clay as far as I know, nor can the stained clay be re-dyed. To make red bricks you still need to go find a swamp or go diving. That being said, it's still fairly easy to do compared to what it used to be.
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Rich131 wrote:Jesar the hardened clay can't be turned back into clay as far as I know, nor can the stained clay be re-dyed. To make red bricks you still need to go find a swamp or go diving. That being said, it's still fairly easy to do compared to what it used to be.
Well, it's not as bad as I thought then. On a slightly less related note, is anyone else reminded of the first fight between Vegeta and Goku when they see that pic of the new biome?
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

You can now launch older versions of minecraft in 1.7. All the way up to alpha and classic.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Eramus_the_5th

Post by Eramus_the_5th »

CreeperCannibal wrote:You can now launch older versions of minecraft in 1.7. All the way up to alpha and classic.
I only seemed to be able to get beta. Perhaps I should make a bug report :)

Rather nice of them to provide functionality that was already available in the form of external tools. Why they felt they needed to change the launching system is beyond me; MultiMC has been doing what they've done, only like 10x better, for at least a 1/2 year now.

That seems to be the theme of the recent updates, both in the launcher and game: take something the community has already done, and try to make it as boring, tedious, or unminecrafty as possible.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

With regards to hardened clay:

It just occurred to me that vanilla is going to have strata now! Rejoice! :P
Noshery

Post by Noshery »

Looks like Jeb is greatly changing the way biomes generate
Spoiler
Show
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Not much you could really tell from it besides that there's more beaches.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

The new biomes seems like it should have been done a while ago.

As for my thoughts on the new cherry trees: Damnit!

Canyon Biomes: I really wish they did that differently. There should have been a separate Block for Adobe Rock and a Broken (Cobble) Adobe Rock that you get when mined.
Last edited by Yhetti on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noshery

Post by Noshery »

I haven't seen any reference or pictures of cherry trees, but the biomes per-continent look like they have some sort of organisation now.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Noshery wrote:I haven't seen any reference or pictures of cherry trees, but the biomes per-continent look like they have some sort of organisation now.
yes that is what I mean. They look a lot better, it is going to be a bit harder playing in BTW i think though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Noshery wrote:I haven't seen any reference or pictures of cherry trees, but the biomes per-continent look like they have some sort of organisation now.
Yes, but that doesn't mean it's actually a good thing for gameplay.

Having to travel to different continents to find various biomes is rather extreme and variety killing. I think they actually may be fucking up rather majorly here for the sake of "realism".

Remember: people ended up preferring the old world generation for the variety it provided. To me, the above looks like it's going to be even worse in that department. It may sound good on paper in response to the "Why u jungle next to my tundra!!!!", but in practice I think it will actually be a rather negative change.