Forest fires

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
milkmandan

Forest fires

Post by milkmandan »

I've found lately a deep love for setting fire to the forest as I'm exploring. It clears out shade for mobs to hide in during the day, opens sight lines, is way faster than cutting by ax, leaves a much easier place to build a road, and leaves a pretty clear marker that someone went through there in the interim before road construction commences.

Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I've been setting wolves on fire on sight. Not for killing them, but for the exploity way that it doesn't provoke aggression.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
AddyBaha

Re: Forest fires

Post by AddyBaha »

milkmandan wrote:...

Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I've been setting wolves on fire on sight. Not for killing them, but for the exploity way that it doesn't provoke aggression.
I didn't even know it works this way oO
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

milkmandan wrote: Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I've been setting wolves on fire on sight.
This man has the right idea. Wolves are evil. So we must kill it with fire.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

AddyBaha wrote:I didn't even know it works this way oO
It also doesn't provoke flight response in nearby animals like hitting them does.

Wait, I might've just had a brilliant idea. Start carrying around a block dispenser/lever and turn pesky untamed wolves into cubes!
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

milkmandan wrote:
AddyBaha wrote:I didn't even know it works this way oO
It also doesn't provoke flight response in nearby animals like hitting them does.

Wait, I might've just had a brilliant idea. Start carrying around a block dispenser/lever and turn pesky untamed wolves into cubes!

.... does this work? I always assumed it only worked for tamed wolves. Has anyone tried to turn you-know-what into a cube?
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Mason11987 wrote: .... does this work? I always assumed it only worked for tamed wolves. Has anyone tried to turn you-know-what into a cube?
It does work for regular wolves, I have not tried with you-know-what but I would doubt it would. It would be amusing if it did work though.
FlowerChild wrote:
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sigh.
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

You know, I sometimes do think of there being a scenario where I run past an operating block dispenser with a clock while a wolf is chasing me just for it to get sucked in and get turned into a cube, but I've never actually tried that trap. Yet. I'm gonna try it now.

Yep! It works! Just not very well. It's a little difficult to tell why, but basically I think if the clock goes too fast, it won't register. If it goes too slow, unless you have something to stop the wolf right in front of the block dispenser, it won't catch the wolf in time. So it requires a balance of speed. Also, forcing it down a narrow, 2-blocks high corridor seems to provide improved results.

I don't know. Maybe with a narrow corridor, and some help from pressure plates, it would work, but as fun and cool as it is, it seems very situational. I'd rather use a catch-all mob trap. It's still fun, though. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'd honestly love to see a vid of someone doing that :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:I'd honestly love to see a vid of someone doing that :)
Your wish is my command. Uploading now.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

I'd love to see how you do it. :)
Slstoev

Post by Slstoev »

Post the video here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Slstoev wrote:Post the video here!
No, he's kicking it old school and going pure carrier pigeon. His pigeon shall land in my roost, I shall untie the youtube video straight from its leg, and after watching it, I shall consume both the pigeon and the video.

The video so no one else may see it, and the pigeon because that's just how I roll.
Slstoev

Post by Slstoev »

FlowerChild wrote:
Slstoev wrote:Post the video here!
No, he's kicking it old school and going pure carrier pigeon.
I would so love this to happen... Evolutionary throwbacks are nice.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

One of my wolves ate the pigeon. So I'll do it the modern way.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Somebody may have beaten you to it a very long time ago...

EDIT: Wtf? I was responding to a message that I swear was here a second ago with someone saying they wanted to build a house out of companion cubes :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I just wanted to see the Factory Farming video again :) Wanna make it public for a little bit?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:EDIT: Wtf? I was responding to a message that I swear was here a second ago with someone saying they wanted to build a house out of companion cubes :)
Seems that you are next, FC. See you on the other side. Just try to ignore the voices. Don't do what they say.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:I just wanted to see the Factory Farming video again :) Wanna make it public for a little bit?
Arg...erg...errr...ok, just for a bit. That is a classic :)

jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ahh, thank you very much :) Saving it for a rainy day. That was one of the funniest things I ever watched. And the music is just perfect...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:One of my wolves ate the pigeon. So I'll do it the modern way.

Lol! Totally awesome man! The Benny Hill music during the chase scene had me in hysterics :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Ahh, thank you very much :) Saving it for a rainy day. That was one of the funniest things I ever watched. And the music is just perfect...
What's funny about it? It was a serious critique of factory farming ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Lol! Totally awesome man! The Benny Hill music during the chase scene had me in hysterics :)
Thanks :) Yeah, I though it was pretty funny myself. And the trap failed twice. I couldn't have done it better if I tried
FlowerChild wrote:What's funny about it? It was a serious critique of factory farming ;)
Might be a critique, but hardly a serious one. Or maybe I'm just sick.

Poor piggy, look at his sad face...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: Might be a critique, but hardly a serious one.
Are you mocking my art?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Nope :) I think its awesome how you sneakily put these morality issues in the game. And I seem to recall some posts in MCF of people who stopped playing because of it, and I also find that hilarious... You have a knack for making people uncomfortable :P

By not serious I didn't mean it has no value, on the contrary, I just meant its a very different way of showing it, through the game, instead of showing a video or documentary of the real thing for instance.