BTW Succession Game

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

Re: BTW Succession Game

Post by Taleric »

Sweet! I will be back home after Jul 27th and would love to add some ruins of crushed dreams. I will try to grab a slot again once back if it would be improper to reserve one now, active after 26 Jul.

I am hyped just thinking of the ruins that might be around by then.
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

icynewyear wrote:....Enjoy your desert....
Good video, that was really fun to watch. I had the same problem the first night, not finding any caves. I hid in a tree all night, in pitch black, listening to wolves howl. The first couple of days have become really rough. I love it, but it sucks to see you die so soon. Although, at this rate, it won't be long until everybody gets another turn. Also: YOU FORGOT MY NAME
Taleric wrote:Sweet! I will be back home after Jul 27th and would love to add some ruins of crushed dreams. I will try to grab a slot again once back if it would be improper to reserve one now, active after 26 Jul.

I am hyped just thinking of the ruins that might be around by then.
Cool. I can definitely reserve you a spot.
mneMoose

Post by mneMoose »

I'd like to give this a go if you still have slots open.

And that was some tough luck Icy. Great video.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

After just watching Icy's stream, I was wondering how you guys are going to deal with people that die on their first day. Next person up is going to spawn at night.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

(PM for slot reserve sent. I'm loving what I've seen so far.)
Also, as a recorder who admittedly has access to far lower quality than Icy, I've gotta say I'd still love to see more people make videos, even if your recording equipment is the equivalent of two tins cans and a parrot. Here, for once, that's worth it.

RE Flowerchild, I'm actually hoping I get the challenge of spawning at night! It really brings home the high stakes. I also hope you've requested to join us?
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Stompinlama

Post by Stompinlama »

Oi that was a bad turn of luck there Icy. I can't wait to see/read where each player takes it. I would participate.... but I think I would stop up the whole process of passing the game along(I have just been too lucky with BTW, only a couple of deaths). I do want to see a night spawn and how it is dealt with, so looking forward to updates.
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

FlowerChild wrote:After just watching Icy's stream, I was wondering how you guys are going to deal with people that die on their first day. Next person up is going to spawn at night.
I'm glad you brought that up, I hadn't thought about it. What I'm thinking: If the player dies to early and doesn't reset the spawn/time, they keep playing. That's not really in the spirit of things, but I absolutely do not want players having to start at a disadvantage. The whole idea of a succession game is to have each player starting fresh, regardless of what the player before them did. Icy died really early (sorry Icy) and he still had a new respawn, so hopefully we won't run into that problem very often.
Stompinlama wrote:I would participate.... but I think I would stop up the whole process of passing the game along(I have just been too lucky with BTW, only a couple of deaths).
Yeah, that's something to think about. I played a little less conservatively than normal on my turn. I guess that's part of it, going for a more dramatic, shorter run vs preparing for long-term. You don't want to hog the game. You could try playing on hard if you want an extra challenge.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I'd be interested in taking a turn as well - I'll record for the youtubes too. I have time whenever, so just prod me either here or on the IRC when its my turn.
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

Do people not dig holes for shelter their first few nights?
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Well, I had quite a productive run (lasted around 10-12 days) with no progress in BTW Tech level other than a iron pick. I was able to get back to spawn, cleared out some jungle, started building a tree house and fell off a tree while climbing vines (dope). I left a journal of my travels in the tree house and my body should be very close to the the spawn marker.

@JakeZKAM You wake up at the border of a jungle and forest biome. Good luck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s461brn36sg0w ... sion_5.zip
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

So you hit the original spawn point again? How did you know?
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

utakataJ6 wrote:So you hit the original spawn point again? How did you know?
The compass in vMC (and BTW) points to the original spawn point.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Of course. Good work getting to redstone; we'll see who gets that far next.
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

still open for people to join in? I would love to have a shot
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:still open for people to join in? I would love to have a shot
Not right now. Sorry, man.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Ok so I couldn't find a massive amount of time to sink into my turn this round (too many RL things getting in the way.) So I mostly fooled around and dug myself a small little supply base until a zombie trapped me and ate my brains. It's out in the Jungle somewhere in the coolest river/cave area. As for whoever is next enjoy the wolves ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/93q5t ... sion_6.zip
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I played for a while, and got a little bit of a base set up near a desert village. I didn't manage to find any ink in order to make the book, so there's no record around.
Here's the world:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh96cgsf850xe ... sion_7.zip
You'll spawn in another taiga forest.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Just an update, guys. I'm not trying to drag this out, but I just haven't died yet. I've had a couple of close calls. I was chasing a cow, not paying attention, and I fell into a very deep sinkhole. I was already hungry, and I didn't think I would make it back out. But, I had enough supplies available to dig my way up, and the two pieces of raw mutton I had kept me from starving to death.

Though leather, feathers, and ink aren't a problem, I still haven't found any cane for the paper. So, no journal yet. I'm currently trying to scrounge up enough iron for a hoe so that I can plant all but one of these hemp seeds. Then, it'll be time to find some chickens.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

No problem at all - hearing that you're playing is just as relieving as seeing the map passed on. As long as it's still in rotation!
morvelaira:
flowerchild:
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

Yeah, man, keep going. We need the progress in the world. Your ruins will be a good find if you have a farm ;).
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Ulfengaard shook his head as he field dressed the wolf's carcass: the seventh of these noble creatures he had killed in as many days. Steam rose from the fetid pile as he looked over the remains, searching for some usable portion to salve his conscience in the killing. Sadly, the corpse was nothing but skin and bone, much like all but one of the others… and Ulfengaard shuddered to think what that animal had eaten to survive.

He peered through the mix of frost-laden canopy and glittering, icy vines. Had the world gone mad? Would the snows of the taiga eventually blanket the entire world?

He shook his head again to dislodge the thought and continued hacking or climbing his way through the hoary jungle. As usual, he came upon other animals tangled in the underbrush: creatures which had no business in the rainforest: cows, sheep, pigs. It was almost as if chaos had gripped the land and, in one swift movement, shaken it as a mountain lion shakes its prey: scrambling the natural order.

There. Beneath an overlay of vine and shrub, Ulfengaard spotted a dark entrance. It should have been inviting, he reasoned. After all, he lived in a cave which he had hewn from a rock outcropping at the edge of a nearby lake. Thinking about his warm, dry home made the man long for return, but as he cast his eyes to the horizon, he realized that it was far too late to return tonight. Besides, comfortable sleep would be filled only with nightmares. It was better that he work the darkness away. In the heft of his axe, he found some normalcy: an anchor in the apocalyptic void which had formed deep within his grizzled heart.

Minutes later, he had successfully hacked away the foliage, and he wasted no time slipping down into the relative safety of the cave as the sun vanished behind the trees.

In the growing dimness, he had misjudged the distance, and hot fire lanced up through his leg from his ankle as he landed. He groaned and slid over to the wall, scratching a torch against the bare rock and plunging the handle into the soft soil nearby. Pulling some charred mutton from his pack, he leaned back and chewed… slowly. It wouldn't do to be gluttonous.

In the flickering torchlight, he caught sight of a gleam, and, narrowing his eyes, he realized that there could be ore further down in the cave. He had gathered some scraps of iron in his many trips beyond his hovel, and as it reached a substantial portion, he had begun forming a plan for his own survival. It would take just a bit more ore to form workable ingots, and it was for this very purpose that Ulfengaard had ventured out early that morning.

Striking another torch and tying it to a root, he examined the vein: a mere nugget's worth. He had learned to be grateful for any abundance, however, so he took the sharp granite he had knapped the day before and began chipping around the iron, digging it out as best he could. It took time: precious time.

Movement flickered in his peripheral vision, and he whirled, pulling his axe from his belt with the smooth certainty of experience. The darkness yielded nothing, though. After a moment, he returned to his work. The ore finally worked free of the rock face, and he gratefully placed the chunk in his pack.

And then he heard the thing speak. "So niiiiicccce." It sounded like words spoken through a mouthful of dried leaves, and a mouldering dankness assaulted Ulfengaard's nostrils. He wrung his hands around the haft of his axe, his eyes struggling to penetrate the gloom. "The glitter. The glow of light. I ussssssed to know it ssssssso well. Warm. Sssssssafe." He thought he could see something move to his right, only faintly, but he didn't move: didn't betray that he had seen. And the smell grew stronger.

"I wissssh I knew how that felt again." The voice grew more insistent, spoke more quickly. "But we can't. None of ussss can. We're all alone. You're all alone." Ulfengaard readied himself. "You're all alone!" He swung to his right, hard. The green disfigured face dripped with rot, and his axe bit deeply into the horror's right side, the head of the tool snapping free of the haft from the force of the impact. He scrambled backward on all fours, trying to find purchase on the rock and get hold of his mining pick. "HOW WARM IT ISSSSSSSSSS," it cried as it flung itself at Ulfengaard again, knocking the torch loose from its root, plunging the cave into darkness.

The silence of the starry night above was broken momentarily by the sound of a muffled scream followed by the rumbling collapse of earth beneath the icy, impassive jungle canopy.

Next Up: Jungle Biome

Good luck: https://www.dropbox.com/s/koa4bav9ho2fwb4/BTW%20Succession_8.rar
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Spawning in a jungle on the edge of the water I punch a few trees and start heading out. After two failed hovels while attempting to finally leave the jungle I set off, nearly dead on a boat along a river until I spot what appears to be a weirdly colored giant jungle tree.. getting closer:
Spoiler
Show
Electrobot's treefort!

And I'm saved! Now to try to make something of value from this. I have a cave below I'm going to check out in the morning. I saw Electro had a compass.

Couldn't find his drop though, I think I was going in circles for a while before finding this, so it probably despawned. Gonna spend my first night feasting and reading Electro's logbook.

Edit - Oh wow, this is spawn! Fantastic. I'll spend some time fortifying a courtyard around spawn so it can serve as a safe place when future players discover it.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Made some good progress so far. Here are a few sneak peaks:
Spoiler
Show
Just realize there are at least three phalluses I've made, depending on how you look at it. Not one was intended to be that at the time.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Actually didn't die, but I knew I'd have a few days without a chance to play so I thought I'd pass it on in hopes other people can have some fun with it.

Next player...

You are at spawn! Food is running low though!

I didn't know if we want deaths to be required how players start, but I figured at a certain point we'd stop having as many deaths, so I just left myself at spawn.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0j2ri2ogg0foj ... ession.zip
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

Hm I think I may just kill myself to get a fresh spawn.