[1.5.2] [4.891124] Biomes O' Plenty 0.1.3 - BTW Edition

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
DaveYanakov

Re: [1.5.2] [4.891] Biomes O' Plenty 0.0.8 - BTW Edition

Post by DaveYanakov »

After consultation I'm cross posting Grom PE's compatability patch for running BoP alongside horses here.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8nwq9 ... compat.zip

Just add the patched class after dropping everything else into your jar.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

version 0.0.8 is stable and bug free!

The seams glitch is totally gone and I have yet to encounter the world freezing glitch.

Good job Adubbz!
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

Same here and thankful for it. I flew around and restarted a few times with no seams or glitches. Frame rate stuttered much less as well though I don't understand how that could be.

Also, the bth mod patch seems to work as well. :)
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I cannot seem to get a server to generate a world using the new worldtype - Are you sure about the "BIOMESOP" setting?
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

I'm trying to play over LAN now and any other player gets instantly kicked off with an internal server error.

edit:

Big time never mind. I've narrowed the problem down to the better with horses mod. I could have sworn i'd tested it before posting here but I couldn't have done so. I apologize and reiterate how awesome a job you guys did of ironing out the seams and chunk saving errors.
Last edited by mogulus on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Adubbz wrote:As far as i know, there is only one biome with a bit of a quirk mob in the game currently but that's for you folks to discover.
I already found this and it scared the bejezus out of me, not a good place to go looking for additional resources!
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Thalarctia wrote:I cannot seem to get a server to generate a world using the new worldtype - Are you sure about the "BIOMESOP" setting?
I can confirm this, both me and my friend run hosted servers and using the BIOMESOP setting, both of us on separate servers are only getting vanilla biome generation, no errors or anything, but no new biomes either.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

OK, I loaded this up and gave it a whirl. Here are my first impressions.

I find the sky colors to be jarring. Not the colors themselves, but the rapid transition when crossing biomes. One second the sky is pink, then I move 1 meter over and it's blue. It happens so fast that the first time I saw it I thought there was a momentary render error. But it makes the transition from one area to another abrupt instead of gradual. It's especially bad when 3 or more biomes with radically different sky colors come together in one spot.

Second, I found some of the more interesting biomes, like the volcano, right away. I don't know if this is typical. But I also came across, primarily, your new biomes. I think this problematic. The vanilla biomes should still be the majority of biomes, and your new biomes should be the exception. I'm thinking a mix where at least 2/3rd of biomes are vanilla, and only 1/3rd of biomes are from this mod. That way, when you find a biome from the mod, it's exciting. Right now, I was more excited to find an actual vanilla biome in the midst of the new ones, than I was to see most of the new biomes. In other words, I should have to go looking to find the new biomes, and right now I feel like I have to go looking to find the old ones. Make your biomes more rare, please.

Positive notes: I love your trees and wish there were saplings for them. The Acadia-like ones are perfect for treehouses. The tall pines look really cool.

I like the bog grass color, making it look like uncovered dirt without actually making it such.

I found this awesome canyon, It was breathtaking and I wanted to build a rope bridge city into the sides of it. This was the point at which I said "Yes, I'm using this for my next world."
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
VivaGabe!

Post by VivaGabe! »

Glad to see BoP available for BTW! Was wondering...Whats the size of the biomes now that you choose "BoP" in the selection screen? Are they the size of default biomes or large biomes? Is there a way to adjust the size of them?
opa2

Post by opa2 »

VivaGabe! wrote:Glad to see BoP available for BTW! Was wondering...Whats the size of the biomes now that you choose "BoP" in the selection screen? Are they the size of default biomes or large biomes? Is there a way to adjust the size of them?
+1

The biomes in the new world type seem very close, making completely different biomes sit one on top of the other. Initially I started with a large biome settings, but that is no longer possible as I understand?
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Thalarctia wrote:I cannot seem to get a server to generate a world using the new worldtype - Are you sure about the "BIOMESOP" setting?
Yeah, it definitely should work. Put your server.properties in a spoiler and i'll take a look.

EDIT: Nevermind, just tried this and it does very well seem to be the case. Will take a look at it.
Last edited by Adubbz on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

First I want to preface this with a big thank you for hands down the best addon BTW has ever seen.

Now for some construtive criticism:

I agree with the above poster; biome size should be increased. Not to the level of large biomes, but larger than they are now.

The village generation requirements are a bit too loose. As in I am seeing villages generate on mountain sides and in lakes. I suggest you tighten the requirments up just a bit so they spawn in reasonably level ground.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

First of all, thank you for the update!

Just wanted to warn you, though; it seems witches are still able to spawn in Mystic Groves (this biome is the one with the pinkish sky and blue-green grass, right?). Some attacked me :) But is it really unbalanced to allow witches to spawn? It somewhat encourages players to explore to find such biomes, which are quite dangerous at the same time.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Adubbz wrote:With regards to the mobs mentioned above, witches don't spawn in the Mystic Grove in the BTW version. As far as i know, there is only one biome with a bit of a quirk mob in the game currently but that's for you folks to discover.
really? are you sure? I've been ambushed by witches twice while in a mystic grove so...
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

I have seen witches in the mystic grove biome in version 0.0.8.

I also think that the murky woods biome may spawn beasts instead of wolves because I found a previously unloaded murky wood and immediately heard the beasts growling emanating from the darkness.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

I swear i removed them... Ah well, must've got sidetracked with something else and then forgotten to actually do it :/
Adubbz

Re: [1.5.2] [4.891] Biomes O' Plenty 0.0.9 - BTW Edition

Post by Adubbz »

Updated the OP to 0.0.9, properly removing witches from the Mystic Grove, adding compatibility with Better Than Horses allowing them them to spawn in certain biomes (Field, Grassland, Heathland, Prairie, Shrubland and Steppe), fixing willow trees and fixing the "BIOMESOP" worldtype in multiplayer.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Adubbz wrote:Updated the OP to 0.0.9, properly removing witches from the Mystic Grove, adding compatibility with Better Than Horses allowing them them to spawn in certain biomes (Field, Grassland, Heathland, Prairie, Shrubland and Steppe), fixing willow trees and fixing the "BIOMESOP" worldtype in multiplayer.
Thank you for your continued support! :D Takes time to work out all of the little bugs.

Unfortunately 0.0.9 still has a bug. I thought this was just a server side one but it seems to be biome related as it happened in single player as well.

If you use the seed "Fractals of the Mists" it will hang while "Preparing spawn area" I tried looking at the world with MCEdit but it looks like it crashes before it writes anything out.

I tested similar seeds and Fractals of the Mist and Fractals of the Myst also hang at different %s, but Fractal of the Mists and Fractals of the M work just fine. So it seems like it's getting stuck with a certain biome..
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Ugh, i have heard of that occurring before. Annoyingly, the only way of fixing it would be to sort through all the biomes one by one. Even worse, the issue seems to only occur when the biomes are meant to generate near spawn. Fun tasks will be coming soon folks :/
Rob

Post by Rob »

Pfilson wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Adubbz wrote:Updated the OP to 0.0.9, properly removing witches from the Mystic Grove, adding compatibility with Better Than Horses allowing them them to spawn in certain biomes (Field, Grassland, Heathland, Prairie, Shrubland and Steppe), fixing willow trees and fixing the "BIOMESOP" worldtype in multiplayer.
Thank you for your continued support! :D Takes time to work out all of the little bugs.

Unfortunately 0.0.9 still has a bug. I thought this was just a server side one but it seems to be biome related as it happened in single player as well.

If you use the seed "Fractals of the Mists" it will hang while "Preparing spawn area" I tried looking at the world with MCEdit but it looks like it crashes before it writes anything out.

I tested similar seeds and Fractals of the Mist and Fractals of the Myst also hang at different %s, but Fractal of the Mists and Fractals of the M work just fine. So it seems like it's getting stuck with a certain biome..
Since this is being pointed out I figure I should relay my experiences with this same issue. I didn't post about it because at the time I was also testing if I could cram 'optifine light' into the jar (Added it to the jar first so any conflicts would be against optifine and not btw.). But it seems that there is a biome(s) that do not load properly. I didn't record the seed because I chalked it up to Optifine, but that might have been the wrong assumption. If you do load in but happen across this phantom biome while exploring, it will not render properly(this might have been optifine), its invisible but still has blocks you can traverse. If you log off in the offending biome and log back in, you get stuck at loading terrain and minecraft does not crash.
Dr Ug

Post by Dr Ug »

Does anyone know how to update an existing world (server) to the new generator? I've tried NBTEdit on level.dat, but whenever the server gets reset the generatorname keeps resetting to default.

When I start a new world the generatorname is set to BIOMESOP and generates the new terrain as expected, but I can't alter my existing world.

EDIT:

Nevermind - stupid error on my part. whenever the server closes it apparently resaves level.dat, and so you have to stop the server, change level.dat, then restart, can't just restart after changing level.dat.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Someone submitted a bug report for you here:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253 ... ry23571202

Extra whining at no extra charge :)
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Adubbz wrote:Ugh, i have heard of that occurring before. Annoyingly, the only way of fixing it would be to sort through all the biomes one by one. Even worse, the issue seems to only occur when the biomes are meant to generate near spawn. Fun tasks will be coming soon folks :/

Yeah I was hoping to figure out which biome it might be by using MC edit.. Unfortunately since nothing was written out no such luck.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Spoiler
Show
I think i might cry, so beautiful....
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

I have to ask, did you set the spawn rates of horses in said biomes to insanely rare? I've been searching for a little over an hour and can't find a single one.