Show us your builds!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sam Vimes

Re: Show us your builds!

Post by Sam Vimes »

Good to see the old thread revived in such an epic way.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Hey,
I present you my base, which I have started in v4.64.
Nothing is automated at the moment, exept of the dung farm, which I am building.

Here an overview of my base on the edge of a jungle.
To the right a train station, which I currently use as storage. From right to left wheat, hemp and pumpkin farm.
To the left a temporary place for my windmill with 2 millstones and a saw.
Base
Show
View from the windmill platform, with the hempfarm just to your left.
hempfarm
Show
This is my WIP dung farm. It has places for 7 wolves. It's automated in a 5 minute cycle to feed them.
Dung farm
Show
And finally my temporary main central station, to which all carts go for different future bases and places.
It will be automated in such a way, that all carts will be stored there and sent to the different locations to replace the cart I have just left in with.
I hope you understand the concept.
The bridge connects to the current train station/storage room.
central station
Show
Thanks for letting me share my creations.
-Sockthing
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

At long last, I got around to paying the enderdragon a visit and I may have overgeared myself just a wee bit. When the fight was over, I still had several pillars intact, so to commemorate that fact, I tore down the shortest one and turned it into something a bit different.
Spoiler
Show
P.S. Thank goodness F1 also hides the greenness and the squiggles, as I was a bit apprehensive about taking off my spectacles to take the screenshot...
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Damn, man. That is amazing!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I fail to recognise what it is, but I must admit it looks a fine ass madness.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

damn Stan, I would love to see a temple that complements that statue ;)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Graphite wrote:At long last, I got around to paying the enderdragon a visit and I may have overgeared myself just a wee bit. When the fight was over, I still had several pillars intact, so to commemorate that fact, I tore down the shortest one and turned it into something a bit different.
Spoiler
Show
P.S. Thank goodness F1 also hides the greenness and the squiggles, as I was a bit apprehensive about taking off my spectacles to take the screenshot...
LOL :P was that a tedious process not to right click the 'gem'?
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

magikeh wrote:damn Stan, I would love to see a temple that complements that statue ;)
Patience, young padawan... I only arrived in the end yesterday. Give me some time. I actually have some rough ideas of how to integrate that statue into a building, but first I'm going to need to better secure spawn if that damn end portal is going to keep dropping me off there.

TiLT wrote:LOL :P was that a tedious process not to right click the 'gem'?
I had no idea what I could or could not do near that thing, so yeah... I kept my pick pointed away from the thing at all times so I wouldn't accidentally whack it. Pesky bugger turned out to be a bit bigger than a block too, not to mention "non solid" so I couldn't even stick sidings to the bottom (the bowl was initially planned to be only half a block thick there).

And now I have to admit to some curiousity. I'm aware people have been busy surviving, but surely some things must've been built in the process. What creativity has constraint spawned? The official server is another source of curiosity. From what I've read in the topic, there are some epic builds there by now, yet nobody seems to be showing them off.
johnt

Post by johnt »

My multiplayer server has been going on since Saturday with about 3-4 regular players. Our crowning achievements so far are: A packed earth road, a hemp farm with six(!) plants, and we finally got two chickens alive and back to base after 2 previous attempts ended in failure as we couldn't make it back before nightfall. We had been contemplating abandoning the spawn base for a while yesterday to try and find someplace with living animals, because we were all subsisting on pumpkin seeds and mushrooms, so it's been quite a turn around.

With all the hardcore modes enabled, it's the simple things, really.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Just wanna show my under-construction mob trap in my currently (and hopefully last) BTW world.
Spoiler
Show
Turns out my little single-saw-auto-vine farm doesn't quite does it for this project... I'm using about 6 stacks of vine traps, or 18 stacks of vines, per floor of the building... I ended up making a new auto vine trap with 24 block dispensers, plus this little thing here that I use to manually harvest vines from time to time, and I still always need more... Damn vines grow so slowly....
Spoiler
Show
This is gonna take a while to complete. I don't know how many floors I'm gonna make, but I'm sure the output here will be ridiculous, specially since I pretty much lit up every cave under my base...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Rob

Post by Rob »

An Airship that took me well over 12 hours total to build. Was a great learning process in aesthetics.
Spoiler
Show
A cog in an item frame makes for a nice Captain's Wheel.
Spoiler
Show
A cargo hold full of cargo!
Spoiler
Show
Setting_Sun

Post by Setting_Sun »

Rob wrote:An Airship that took me well over 12 hours total to build. Was a great learning process in aesthetics.
Spoiler
Show
A cog in an item frame makes for a nice Captain's Wheel.
Spoiler
Show
A cargo hold full of cargo!
Spoiler
Show
Love the look of the airship and nice job if you got all that wool after the hardcore sheep breeding mechanic came in . A docking area for it would also look great
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Jorge,

With mob grinders, even a handful of spawning spaces inside the grinder can be highly efficient with proper lighting. If you consider resources spent vs output gained, you reach a point where increasing the size of your trap has little to no effect on your output and your time is better spent on lighting. To determine if size or lighting is your largest contributer to output, measure output for a few hours with what you have currently. Add an additional floor, and measure output for the same amount of time. If for example, you added 30% more spawning space with the additional floor, but only gained a 6% increase in output, you're time is better spent in lighting or you're trap is nearing it's limit in its ability to process mobs before reaching the mob cap.

Also I'm curious, what's the logic with the half slab (or full block, can't tell) that's at the intersections of your "ladder" style spawn floors?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

SterlingRed wrote:With mob grinders, even a handful of spawning spaces inside the grinder can be highly efficient with proper lighting. If you consider resources spent vs output gained, you reach a point where increasing the size of your trap has little to no effect on your output and your time is better spent on lighting. To determine if size or lighting is your largest contributer to output, measure output for a few hours with what you have currently. Add an additional floor, and measure output for the same amount of time. If for example, you added 30% more spawning space with the additional floor, but only gained a 6% increase in output, you're time is better spent in lighting or you're trap is nearing it's limit in its ability to process mobs before reaching the mob cap.
Interesting... Do you know what this limit is? like, how many spawning spaces is too much? Because as far as lightning goes, there is no more to light up... I think by this point I have fully explored all caves beneath my base....
SterlingRed wrote:Also I'm curious, what's the logic with the half slab (or full block, can't tell) that's at the intersections of your "ladder" style spawn floors?
Those I put there to stop spiders from spawning. Since they won't fall on the 1 block gap, they would just be in the way and stop other mobs from spawning.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jorgebonafe wrote:Those I put there to stop spiders from spawning. Since they won't fall on the 1 block gap, they would just be in the way and stop other mobs from spawning.
You could let them spawn and use a chicken lure to draw them into another hole. I'm thinking of designing a more efficient trap with mob lures, though spiders might still prove a problem due to webbing gunking it up. A water+saw trap might still be best for your string needs.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Rob

Post by Rob »

Setting_Sun wrote:Love the look of the airship and nice job if you got all that wool after the hardcore sheep breeding mechanic came in . A docking area for it would also look great
Thanks! The balloon is hollow, so that helped out. Half slabs of wool keep the top from spawning mobs and keep it free of unsightly torches. And directly behind the airship is my stables:
Spoiler
Show
Outside
Inside
I was pretty lucky with the mutations in sheep. To the left of the airship is a rough build of a dock. I'll take pictures when I get that built.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gilberreke wrote:You could let them spawn and use a chicken lure to draw them into another hole. I'm thinking of designing a more efficient trap with mob lures, though spiders might still prove a problem due to webbing gunking it up. A water+saw trap might still be best for your string needs.
Humm.. Thats a good idea... Apparently they spawn in a one block high space if the ceiling is transparent like glass, so it may be possible to make a trap that spawns only spiders... My current trap is way too wide to attract spiders like that, most of them won't even see the chicken.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

jorgebonafe wrote:Interesting... Do you know what this limit is? like, how many spawning spaces is too much? Because as far as lightning goes, there is no more to light up... I think by this point I have fully explored all caves beneath my base....
Basically a bigger mob farm just means you're increasing the number of dark spaces you control. In other words, you're increasing the chance a mob will spawn inside your trap instead of outside the trap. But in a scenario in which you add say, 60 spawn spots inside your trap, but have the surface outside unlit in a 144x144 area, you've added 60 spots you can control, but have left 20000 you don't. So lighting has more of an impact than building more spaces because you can easily reduce that 20000 dark surface with torches faster than you can get enough vine traps to add enough floors to make a difference.
In an ideal environment, everything outside your trap is lit. Meaning the only spaces mobs can spawn is inside it, and they will spawn inside it until you hit the hostile mob cap which is fixed. In that case, a bigger farm does you no good since you're already getting as many mobs as possible. If that's the case, you're better off finding ways to move and kill mobs faster, which means more mobs can spawn in a given time period giving you more drops.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

That's the reason I prefer a smaller footprint, shorter building as my mob trap. That plus the fact that putting the machinery down around the second strata layer makes it much easier to feed with water flows. I always found caving to be more enjoyable as an activity than building a repeating pattern.
Better is the enemy of Good
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Humm.. I hadn't even thought of that... Well, then I fucked up... With that area, getting all mobs to the killing area takes a while..

Oh well... To late to fix that :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote:In that case, a bigger farm does you no good since you're already getting as many mobs as possible.
That's not actually true. The code tests random locations to see if mobs can spawn there. Larger traps mean less failed spawns, and thus more mobs spawning overall. It may not have as large an impact as other factors, but it still definitely has an impact.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:
SterlingRed wrote:In that case, a bigger farm does you no good since you're already getting as many mobs as possible.
That's not actually true. The code tests random locations to see if mobs can spawn there. Larger traps mean less failed spawns, and thus more mobs spawning overall. It may not have as large an impact as other factors, but it still definitely has an impact.
Herp derp you're right, forgot that the game doesn't just cycle through dark areas to attempt spawning. Really I guess it comes down to the player going back and forth between lighting and grinder size to see what has the largest gains at any particular time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: Herp derp you're right, forgot that the game doesn't just cycle through dark areas to attempt spawning. Really I guess it comes down to the player going back and forth between lighting and grinder size to see what has the largest gains at any particular time.
Pretty much. Would be kinda sad if size didn't matter at all, given that the large construction aspect is one of the coolest things about traps.
Six

Post by Six »

I wanted to automate some stuff based on pulses at 10 minute intervals, so I made this:
Spoiler
Show
It makes me far more happy than it should.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Six wrote:I wanted to automate some stuff based on pulses at 10 minute intervals, so I made this:
Spoiler
Show
It makes me far more happy than it should.
I absolutely fucking love it!! Stealing idea as I type
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go