Smallest auto wheat farm?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
diegokilla

Smallest auto wheat farm?

Post by diegokilla »

Heres a little thing i came up with after continually failing at making a decent auto wheat farm.
It is 1x6x4 (5 heigt if u consider collection etc.
Heres a pic for ya, and im working on getting a bit of vid up for anyone who mite be interested in seeing it be created, or get some more details on it:
Spoiler
Show
razar51

Re: Smallest auto wheat farm?

Post by razar51 »

very nice, i never thought to use the planters with the sticky pistons like that
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

diegokilla wrote:Heres a little thing i came up with after continually failing at making a decent auto wheat farm.
It is 1x6x4 (5 heigt if u consider collection etc.
Heres a pic for ya, and im working on getting a bit of vid up for anyone who mite be interested in seeing it be created, or get some more details on it:
Spoiler
Show
Nice dude. I haven't had a chance to play with the detector blocks and grown wheat yet. I like the setup though.
razar51

Post by razar51 »

I just finished my own version of a large scale wheat farm and you go and make me want to make a new version using planters =D

This is why I read the forums and such, somebody somewhere will realize something that I did not, and I can apply their discovery to my creations in new and interesting ways.

Gonna be hard getting all that clay tho
M!C

Post by M!C »

While building a wheat with similar design as in the OP, I discovered that you can pack things tighter if you place the BDs above the extended piston-heads. There's only one difficulty with wiring: you have to place redstone ON the BDs.
Spoiler
Show
Urian

Post by Urian »

You can decrease the height by using glowstone or jack-o-lanterns instead of light blocks. No need for redstone power and they work just as well as light blocks.

Nice use of the planters for farming! The commonly used wheat farm that relies on water for harvesting has the problem that the wiring for the water to stay on long enough tends to take up quite a bit of space, this way ought to make it easier.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
M!C

Post by M!C »

Urian wrote:You can decrease the height by using glowstone or jack-o-lanterns instead of light blocks. No need for redstone power and they work just as well as light blocks. Nice use of the planters for farming! The commonly used wheat farm that relies on water for harvesting has the problem that the wiring for the water to stay on long enough tends to take up quite a bit of space, this way ought to make it easier.
Thanks for the advice. It seems I totally forgot that I wasn't building a hemp farm ...

You just gave me another interesting idea ... off to test it now.

EDIT: Ok, I'm actually to lazy to try it out now but I figured if you don't put the glowstone directly above the planters but one block to the side, you could stack these modules (just one in the image above) on top of each other and all the produce would fall down into the one waterstream at the bottom.
Since one module is only 4 blocks high (thanks to Urian) that would make it VERY compact.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

you just have to one up me all the time diego, i will be stealing thing much more compact design
razar51

Post by razar51 »

Urian wrote:You can decrease the height by using glowstone or jack-o-lanterns instead of light blocks. No need for redstone power and they work just as well as light blocks.

Nice use of the planters for farming! The commonly used wheat farm that relies on water for harvesting has the problem that the wiring for the water to stay on long enough tends to take up quite a bit of space, this way ought to make it easier.

Yeah it does take up some space, but for a very large farm you only need to make 1 timer for it if you harvest all the wheat at the same time.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Spoiler
Show
This is not a fully functional farm. It is a idea to make wheat farms cost a little less. But there is a bug with how Blocks update that makes it Not work I have reported It here. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=936
This may not be small but it might be cheep when bug is fixed. just my 0.02 Cents
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

You could try running it like this one I mocked up quick. Where the water only runs when the wheat is dropped and the light can be right next to it, but I'd recommend putting blocks around each planter at wheat level to prevent them from getting stuck on stuff. Also run a delay to keep the piston down long enough for the water to collect wheat and seeds.
Spoiler
Show
Waughoo

Post by Waughoo »

Ugh, I'm working on a wheat farm right now and had not see this yet. I'm not using planters, just ran water under the BDs. I also am not using detectors for it, but a series of bio clocks. I've made it so it separates seeds and wheat, and seeds go back up and are placed back into the system by hoppers on top of the BDs. My big problem is that I cant get the seeds to goto both sides at the same time. I dont know how to make 1 stream of drops randomly disperse between 2 other steams.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Waughoo wrote:Ugh, I'm working on a wheat farm right now and had not see this yet. I'm not using planters, just ran water under the BDs. I also am not using detectors for it, but a series of bio clocks. I've made it so it separates seeds and wheat, and seeds go back up and are placed back into the system by hoppers on top of the BDs. My big problem is that I cant get the seeds to goto both sides at the same time. I dont know how to make 1 stream of drops randomly disperse between 2 other steams.
you can use a vMC dispenser on a turn table and another turntable for a redstone clock with torches on the opposite sides. If you have both set to the second setting, the vMC dispenser will fire on streams 180 degrees away in relation to the dispenser. Just make sure that the hopper is the 3rd block above the turntable or the axle giving it power will break. (i hope you kinda get what i mean)
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

walker_boh_65 wrote: you can use a vMC dispenser on a turn table and another turntable for a redstone clock with torches on the opposite sides. If you have both set to the second setting, the vMC dispenser will fire on streams 180 degrees away in relation to the dispenser. Just make sure that the hopper is the 3rd block above the turntable or the axle giving it power will break. (i hope you kinda get what i mean)
I think what you're saying is have a stream like this:
Spoiler
Show
And have a vM dispenser under a 1 stream hopper ( so the dispenser is receiving seeds in your case) then have a detector block under where the item pops out of the dispenser.

The detector should be attached to a T-Flip flop with the output connected to both block dispensers (like in the image I posted) but one of the DBs will have an inverse signal from the flip flop.

That way, each time the dispenser pops out a seed it changes which stream it goes to.

If that doesn't make sense let me know and I can probably whip up another picture to explain.

*Edit* Nevermind I see what you're saying now Walker I'm just stupid...

Walker means to do THIS:
Spoiler
Show
Waughoo

Post by Waughoo »

Oh, thats a good idea! I dont know if I have the space above my farm to do it though :(
razar51

Post by razar51 »

Waughoo wrote:Ugh, I'm working on a wheat farm right now and had not see this yet. I'm not using planters, just ran water under the BDs. I also am not using detectors for it, but a series of bio clocks. I've made it so it separates seeds and wheat, and seeds go back up and are placed back into the system by hoppers on top of the BDs. My big problem is that I cant get the seeds to goto both sides at the same time. I dont know how to make 1 stream of drops randomly disperse between 2 other steams.

you can use a piston stream splitter and a redstone clock or a few torches on a turntable to flip 2 pistons and therefore the waterflow, I use one for my donut factory, just without the frequent switching. here, ill post the vid for reference.

It is About 60 seconds in.
Spoiler
Show
ct030912

Post by ct030912 »

i use diego wheat farm now. so much easyer
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

KriiEiter wrote:
*Edit* Nevermind I see what you're saying now Walker I'm just stupid...

Walker means to do THIS:
Spoiler
Show
that's is exactly what i meant, thanks for supplying a picture
Waughoo

Post by Waughoo »

Alrighty, my auto wheat farm/doughnut factory is up and running! I left it run while I was at work today and came home to 166 doughnuts! I'm not sure if theres a way to empty Cauldrons without another mod, so I think I might need to add a system for sending each flour drop to a different cauldron (maybe like 3 or 4 cauldrons total) so I dont need to worry about wasting them. I'll post a video once I get the whole thing cleaned up abit.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Waughoo wrote:Alrighty, my auto wheat farm/doughnut factory is up and running! I left it run while I was at work today and came home to 166 doughnuts! I'm not sure if theres a way to empty Cauldrons without another mod, so I think I might need to add a system for sending each flour drop to a different cauldron (maybe like 3 or 4 cauldrons total) so I dont need to worry about wasting them. I'll post a video once I get the whole thing cleaned up abit.
A block dispenser swallowing a cauldron will empty it, you just have to turn the fire below it off first.

The second option would be to have one water stream go over multiple cauldrons - once the first is full any items will go to the second instead. Unless you really want fast doughnuts (like you'd ever run out) there's no need for any complicated hopper setup imo.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.