Video game soundtracks

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
ignika42

Re: Video game soundtracks

Post by ignika42 »

To this day Homeworld is one of my favorite games of all time, this song is a big part of that. The gameplay, and the rest of the soundtrack is great; but this song, and the cutscene that went with it... too many feels!

There were times I started up Morrowind just to hear the title song, at least until I found it in the install directory.

also seconding the mentions of Oblivion, Mass effect, Metroid Prime, AoE2, and Shadow of the Colossus.
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

And in general, any Nobuo Uematsu piece

And something completely different. From the creators of Deponia.
Last edited by Niyu on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Honestly beyond all the "suicidal fanfare" around the song I'm actually really addicted to listening to it
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Xeo wrote: Honestly beyond all the "suicidal fanfare" around the song I'm actually really addicted to listening to it
...That's the first symptom...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

My favorite video game sound track (and also my favorite game of all time with the possible exception of MC) was from Rocket Jockey. It was all by Dick Dale, the same guy that did the famous theme song from Pulp Fiction:

The surfer music gave the game a particularly cool vibe given the subject matter :)

Unfortunately, the guy playing in that video appears to be rather bad at the game, as crashing into walls constantly like that is kind not the point ;)

My favorite individual track from a game was probably this one:

It's one of the few I can remember listening to outside of game just because I liked it so much.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ah, yes, Hell March. That was one of my favorites too.... I like most of the Red Alert tracks, but that one specially
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

While I'm not a huge fan of Tribes 2, it being early FPS in the Unreal Tourney/Quake legacy (all of which I played the living hell out of), the music in this game is awesome. It hooked me early and it's in my bones.

Timothy Steven Clarke's soundtrack for this game was great for it's time and matter of fact, after hearing it again, I've stacked it up for my BTW world. I've just hit steel so right on cue.

and

Also, I like metal.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
mneMoose

Post by mneMoose »

The main theme from Metal Gear Solid 2 is a particular favorite of mine. It's one of the two most played games of my youth.
Spoiler
Show
And Kingdom Hearts is the other most played game of my youth, and I spent so much time in Hollow Bastion that it only seems appropriate to share the theme of that world.
Spoiler
Show
Finally, Team Fortress 2 is the game I've logged the most hours in. Even though most of the music is main menu only, I played so much that it has all stuck with me.
Spoiler
Show
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

Oh man. There are too many just from one game. I'm a huge fan of Monster Hunter, and they have some really great soundtracks out there. Spoilering for the sake of size.
Spoiler
Show
This first one is called Lunar Abyss. It's part of the battle music for one of the larger monsters, called Ceadeus. It always gives me chills right at the beginning.

This one is the battle music for one of the Monster Hunter Frontier monsters, an elder dragon called Rukiodora. The reason I like this clos so much is that the music embodies the monster so perfectly! The clip itself loops, so it repeats every 3 minutes or so.

Another battle music one, so it loops after the first 3 minutes or so. This one is the battle theme for Frontier's Swamp Zone at Rank 100. It's also known as the Orugaron's theme, because this is the music you hear when fighting them. Powerful beats all the way through.

This is the general battle theme for Misty Peaks, an area in Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate. This one isn't an extended version so it doesn't loop.

This piece is the iconic soundtrack of Monster Hunter, named Proof of a Hero. This particular one is the Tri variant, but each iteration of Monster Hunter has had a version of this song as it's main theme.

And just to show that there is lighthearted music in there too, this is the music that plays when you enter the guild hall. It's the Freedom Unite version, for those who can tell the difference.
I'll leave this one out of the spoiler because it is probably my favorite Monster Hunter music of all time. It's not a soundtrack. Rather, it's a fan made song based on "The Hunter's Mark." It's pretty much the greatest thing.

In fact, check out Erutan's website. She has quite a few amazing Covers for video games, including Xenogear, Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, and several of the Final Fantasy's.
Here it is.
She also has a few more not listed on there on her Youtube channel. Pretty awesome.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.