Is there anyway to make minecraft darker without a mod?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Is there anyway to make minecraft darker without a mod?

Post by Sarudak »

So you are still adding the system for caves this release but nothing for the nether yet? Sweet
Panda

Post by Panda »

Also I think I may have made a suggestion without realizing it, my bad flower child.
Never say no to Panda.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

Related but slightly offtopic: Panda, it looks like you're using the same texture/resource/whatever they are now pack as ItchyFlea from MCF is. What pack is that? The night sky is awesome in it.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Lol u are aware that I made that texture pack right? It's pandoku mix, get it? Panda doku. Your adorable :)
Never say no to Panda.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

No, I had no idea :) I play with default textures and don't really follow pack development at all. Looks awesome though, I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks!
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote:Also I think I may have made a suggestion without realizing it, my bad flower child.
Hehe...no, not at all. Me seeing someone talking about something and suddenly feeling inspired to add it to the mod does not qualify ;)

I had already been toying with this concept while working on the darkness status effect, this thread just pushed me over the edge into actually digging into the code to see how easily it could be done. Turns out, it was pretty easy :)

I'm still playing with the equation to get the light value to fade off in just the right way, but it's looking mighty good at the moment. Here's a screen to show what I mean:
Spoiler
Show
I'm basically massaging the math so that the light drops off in a most unnatural way into total darkness, while still preserving a natural look to how it does so :)

I really like the overall feel this creates too in relation to the whole MC thing of mobs spawning in darkness. It gives the darkness an almost tangible feel like it's pushing back forcefully against the light.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:Here's a screen to show what I mean:
Spoiler
Show
I'm basically massaging the math so that the light drops off in a most unnatural way into total darkness, while still preserving a natural looking look to how it does so :)
That is fucking sexy. Oh my god.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Oh wow, that looks stunning. Also, the idea of having thunderstorms close in this dark as well would really make those storms amazing, and threatening!

Can't wait to see what you settle on!
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote:Here's a screen to show what I mean:
Damn, that's some baller shit right there. Funny how you can not know you were missing something until you see it.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Hehe That looks sexy like a hot oven biscuit flower!!
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, bonus: I just realized that this feature is giving night vision potions (and the corresponding beacon) a serious injection of usefulness. Sweet!

May need to rebalance the recipe for those suckers soon to fit better. Carrots my ass :)

Bat wings maybe, for more batting of bats? Ink sacks for squid traps? Eyes of Ender for end farms? Anyways, that can wait for a latter release.
Panda

Post by Panda »

My day keeps getting better and better <3 Started with baking, ended with this :)
Never say no to Panda.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Oh the evil ideas, I have some friends starting up a BTW server and if they start now....they have a tenancy of not lighting stuff up very well, so you know where that will go lol.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

This thread is making me seriously excited for the next release. It seems like such a simple thing to just make it darker, but the way it's being done...I might have to move out of the woods because of this. :D
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

I *may* do something with this during storms in the future outside though, as I think that would make them absolutely terrifying, especially with the lightning flashes briefly illuminating the landscape.
Holy crap. I can only imagine the epicness this would produce. A short flash of lightning and you notice a horde of zombies right next to you. *shivers*.

This adds so much to gameplay. Can't wait to try it out.

If spider eyes glows through the dark as well, that would be really scary.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

O.o I think I just stumbled upon a thread of epicness just now. FC's latest hc feature now totally makes sense and I actually can't wait to update!

as for carrots, lol. I can see why they look lame, but from my understanding, I think the logic behind using them for the potion was "carrots give vitamin A. Vitamin A enhances vision. So carrots give vision potions." Also, it was a known fact that during WWII that the government used the excuse that their pilots ate lots of carrots to hide knowledge about their latest night time targeting systems(or something to that effect)

Me? I don't really care what recipe you give em. :P As I know full well that whatever you touch will break and be put back together and end up 10 times better. :)
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, I know the traditional associations between carrots and vision, however, having such a mundane item as as a potion ingredient feels distinctly non-magical.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:Yup, I know the traditional associations between carrots and vision, however, having such a mundane item as as a potion ingredient feels distinctly non-magical.

But they're golden carrots man! Because gold is the catch-all, edible magic stuff.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: But they're golden carrots man! Because gold is the catch-all, edible magic stuff.
Have you tried the dung? ;)
Popcornguy13
Location: I'm a shape-shifter in charge of a spy cult, why would I tell you?

Post by Popcornguy13 »

FlowerChild...you should know your mod enough that eating anything involving dung leads to...unhealthy results.
The most insidious thing in the world is nonsense that sounds just plausible enough to listen to."
—Lazav
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Popcornguy13 wrote:FlowerChild...you should know your mod enough that eating anything involving dung leads to...unhealthy results.
wait are you implying that adding gold to shit DOESN'T make it edible?

VANILLA LIED TO ME! T_T

so was this the true purpose of the golden dung? to act as a precedent to disregard vMC's logic in favor of FC's own?

(in which case, it is not only valuable and useful, but it also serves as a symbol of our freedom from vMC's design decisions, I propose that we enshrine and treasure the golden dung forever)