mobtraps and how 1.8 might destroy them

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Stormweaver

Re: mobtraps and how 1.8 might destroy them

Post by Stormweaver »

gftweek wrote:Another tweet from Jeb
jeb_ Jens Bergensten
Please stop spamming me and Notch about "save the mob grinder." It's just a rumour based on me using the word "may" in a design discussion
11 minutes ago
It's not really a rumour if he was the one that tweeted it, more like a mass-reaction to a publicised possibility.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Stormweaver wrote:
Blazara wrote:I think some of the points raised in this topic have been really fascinating. All have valid points, though some i don't agree with. I do however feel (as someone previously posted [Was a fantastic post :)]) That when i bought Minecraft in Alpha, i bought it for what it was, not for what it could be. Mob systems are yet another drive and love for the game that the more technical players enjoy (im looking at you Mr Battosay :P ) I think to remove mechanics that have lead to so much creativity.. It just seems, wrong? Obviously this is just from my perspective, and im no game creator. I certainley don't have 10% of Notch's skill. But if i were creating a game, i wouldn't remove an aspect of said game if it was a real attraction to the less "Bashy bashy Wiv da soord!" and more " Now if i can automate this!" Players.
But you have to remember who notch sees as the majority of players - not us technical types who want to create epic systems for gathering resources, but instead the vast majority of younger (read: less intelligent) players who just want to jump on SMP and make epic bases, then run around in a group and bash things with swords. As the minority, our opinions are pretty much invalid if encouraging the larger majority to bashy bashy sword things makes for more sales.
I agree completely :) I believe if your reading this post, you would have seen the posts above about _jeb's tweet so evidently, this may not be a problem. I agree with what you say about the younger players who like to "bashy bashy" and i think that, as the majority, the game focus should include said audience more predominately than us (i hope we are if we are using betterthanwolves :P) technical players. Yet i still think he would be annoying a fairly substantial group if mob grinders were to be nerfed. I understand a game makers point of view in targeting their biggest audience, but i don't believe for one second that a bit of focus on one group means you take away a great joy for a smaller group, its almost like ignoring the smallest child because their sibling is sporty.
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Blazara wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
Blazara wrote:I agree completely :) I believe if your reading this post, you would have seen the posts above about _jeb's tweet so evidently, this may not be a problem. I agree with what you say about the younger players who like to "bashy bashy" and i think that, as the majority, the game focus should include said audience more predominately than us (i hope we are if we are using betterthanwolves :P) technical players. Yet i still think he would be annoying a fairly substantial group if mob grinders were to be nerfed. I understand a game makers point of view in targeting their biggest audience, but i don't believe for one second that a bit of focus on one group means you take away a great joy for a smaller group, its almost like ignoring the smallest child because their sibling is sporty.
The sad things is that it happens -.-

I'm pretty sure that mob grinders will stay; I doubt they would dare remove them after the number of tweets they got over the whole thing. Still, jeb really shouldn't have tweeted anything like that in the first place.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Stormweaver wrote:I'm pretty sure that mob grinders will stay; I doubt they would dare remove them after the number of tweets they got over the whole thing. Still, jeb really shouldn't have tweeted anything like that in the first place.
I think it's a good thing he did, because it helped him realize how many people love mob grinders, and don't want them to be removed.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Battosay wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:I'm pretty sure that mob grinders will stay; I doubt they would dare remove them after the number of tweets they got over the whole thing. Still, jeb really shouldn't have tweeted anything like that in the first place.
I think it's a good thing he did, because it helped him realize how many people love mob grinders, and don't want them to be removed.
I totally agree. It's better that he said it at twitter and got the apropriate feedback before actually changing the game. Like this Mojang keeps getting input from the fanbase which in most cases can only be good for the game itself.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

I'm honestly not worried about what minecraft might become.

I'm sure a modder will do a TC back to 1.7.3 gameplay.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Brethern wrote:I'm sure a modder will do a TC back to 1.7.3 gameplay.
IF it becomes necessary that is.
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

First let me start off by stating that by buying the game you agree to terms and conditions that allow a developer to change that game without any prior notification

Also did you hear about the passive mobs fleeing
That will definitely destroy passive mob drowners
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.
M!C

Post by M!C »

rosstafan wrote:First let me start off by stating that by buying the game you agree to terms and conditions that allow a developer to change that game without any prior notification

We will just have to build them so that they can't flee (easy for me to say ... I already did).
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

rosstafan wrote:First let me start off by stating that by buying the game you agree to terms and conditions that allow a developer to change that game without any prior notification

we can simple change the drowners to some EMP's....and problem resolved... even if the mobs only drop things wen killed by the player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVgKvd2k ... ideo_title
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

They'd be trapped by the downward water current long before they start taking damage from drowning, assuming they even try to flee from water.

I'm looking forward to that change tbh, especially if they do flee from random sources of damage like cactii. That way I can just stick a cactii in each corner of my passive mob trap, and watch them all flee to the hole in the middle :p
dyrewulf

Post by dyrewulf »

This whole mob trap issue is way overblown in my opinion. Even if you don't trust Notch & Co. to do the right thing with their game, I think we can trust FC to know his audience. I think we know what FC's views on this are, even if he hasn't chimed in on the topic. Whatever changes Mojang make for the worse, they aren't going to stop Flower from undoing them with BTW. Sure they make more work for FC, but I doubt he's as concerned as some of you guys are.

As for fall damage and fire, even if FC doesn't bother to fix this (assuming it goes away and I'm not convinced it will), we have much better means for killing mobs with BTW. I specifically design my grinders so that every mob bites it in the saw. They don't get off that easy by falling to their deaths.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

So now that we have a pre-release of 1.8, are mob traps broken?

EDIT: Just saw something interesting on the MC forums. While breeding doesn't seem to be ingame atm, chickens lay eggs way more often, and the chickens don't despawn (don't get how that can work though, I see potential problems in the future if mobs never despawn). This gives me an idea where you could have a bunch of chickens in a fenced off area where the floor is made of hoppers. The hoppers collect the eggs, eggs get transported back up and put into dispensers, eggs are fired into a mob trap and chickens have a chance of spawning :D
Last edited by grimper12341 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I did a quick check and they appear to be working. I haven't had any endermen spawn there so no idea how they would react but since my mob trap is of the mobovator type, they'd die before reaching the surface anyway. You still get the drops but no xp drops from drowning mobs - a good decision IMO.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
RHCPepperfan

Post by RHCPepperfan »

I played 1.8 now for a few days and honestly, I think that it will fit Better Than Wolves better then ever.

Survival is a lot lot harder now, you are much more vulnerable because of the foodmeter and the increased amount of enemies. Also survival through caverns and abondoned mines is almost undoable with the amount of cavespiders everywhere. Automatisation on a certain point is a must.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Slightly off-topic but spelunking is also a bit harder now since F3 won't show you the numbers above mobs so no more x-ray vision to alert you to danger. That's one change I don't really like, I see how it makes sense but now we're back to relying on map viewers to find all caves to light up (I've been using F3 to find those pesky small caverns that's something like 10 by 10 blocks large)
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Also, has anyone noticed in the NPC houses, the torches that spawn aren't functional? Granted it's nice they're there, so I can loot almost everything I need from a village to make my first home, but still...
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

Urian wrote:I did a quick check and they appear to be working. I haven't had any endermen spawn there so no idea how they would react but since my mob trap is of the mobovator type, they'd die before reaching the surface anyway. You still get the drops but no xp drops from drowning mobs - a good decision IMO.

Ye I'm fine with no xp from mob traps, so long as we get the drops.
I did hear however that passive mobs don't respawn in same area if u kill them, has anyone been able to test this?
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

not sure ....but my test passive mob trap is not spawning any single mob at all
but my ative mob trap is spawned even Enderman
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Urian

Post by Urian »

Is the passive mobs not spawning-problem also present in worlds generated with 1.8 or only on older maps? Might it be related to the passive mob spawning-problem that also exists in 1.7.3 in some cases where you have to leave the area (not chunks, the ones that are quite a bit larger) for them to start spawning again? It might be worth it to try to head far away (think 1024 blocks) and then return to see if that helps.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Well, I know that the passive mobs seem to not despawn. I found a cow at the bottom of a small ravine, left it there, and went exploring. When I came back, it was still there. Can't say for sure about them not spawning in the same area again, though.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

From my experimentation-- a random number of passive mobs will generate with newly created chunks, and will neither de- nor respawn. Wild wolves get to be a bit of a serious issue (though if you're going for them for taming purposes, this is kinda nice, no waiting around. They're there or they're not) so make sure to protect your flock well.

No animal breeding yet, I suspect either 1.9 or full release of 1.8, so make full use of your leather/meat. Also, shear your sheep, always.

Thus far, I have three solo cows set aside for milking, a small herd that I'm keeping safe for when they can breed, to harvest leather/beef. Pigs, keeping safe like the latter cows. Chickens I have producing eggs, setting some aside for cakes/etc and building a dispenser -> chicken killer trap for the others. Sheep I'm just keeping safe for wool purposes.

So far, loving 1.8, just wish the NPC villages looked a bit better/loaded properly. Also, the f-key fog changing is disabled-- no more easy-mode spawner hunting.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Urian wrote:Slightly off-topic but spelunking is also a bit harder now since F3 won't show you the numbers above mobs so no more x-ray vision to alert you to danger. That's one change I don't really like, I see how it makes sense but now we're back to relying on map viewers to find all caves to light up (I've been using F3 to find those pesky small caverns that's something like 10 by 10 blocks large)
Goodnight sweet prince.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Fracture wrote: Thus far, I have three solo cows set aside for milking, a small herd that I'm keeping safe for when they can breed, to harvest leather/beef. Pigs, keeping safe like the latter cows. Chickens I have producing eggs, setting some aside for cakes/etc and building a dispenser -> chicken killer trap for the others. Sheep I'm just keeping safe for wool purposes.
Heh, I wish I had the patience for something like that. As it is...I know that I'll probably start a brand new world for the next release anyway, so I cba setting anything up yet...

...did find a chicken and 2 pigs in my explored mine though. At y=12, on a platform of obsidian. Proof they don't despawn if we ever needed one >.<
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I've probably killed off every passive mobs around where I have my base except sheep by now... Might restart the world (Started it with the "Better Than Wolves"-seed so shouldn't be a problem) but I'm not sure I cba to build everything again... We'll see I guess :)

EDIT: I just threw all of my 13 eggs and NONE of them spawned a chicken :(