Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
PatriotBob

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by PatriotBob »

I guess I just don't get the point of releasing something the central while it's still in "development". Releasing content should add features, stability or preferably both. So this just confuses me...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Also then vanilla can't steal anymore IDs from you. The one downside being that if someone has an old world that they've been updating with vanilla they can't easily port it over to BTW. But I think now that you consider this a total conversion that's less of a concern.
Yeah, that's becoming less and less practical with time anyways given all the changes I've been making, especially in terms of ripping stuff out.

As vanilla players integrate more stuff like Mojang's hoppers into their worlds, porting over existing worlds becomes less of an option. Given the early game has also become a rather huge part of BTW, it also means they are missing out on a big part of the mod by using an existing world.

I think that whole concept has basically fallen by the wayside with time.
PatriotBob wrote:I guess I just don't get the point of releasing something the central while it's still in "development". Releasing content should add features, stability or preferably both. So this just confuses me...
I think what they've basically "added" is multiple jar support. I personally think that only benefits a small segment of the player-base, and at the expense of a larger group of mod users, but I believe that's their reasoning.

Look...IMO it amounts to a whole bunch of wankery, but it is what it is.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

If you're seriously going to stop updating to new versions of minecraft doesn't that get rid of most of your reasons for wanting to make your own game? :P
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

This week I've been playing with the new launcher too.

It should be trivial to create a tool to automate installing a new mod profile.

This weekend I was thinking of whipping something up, then checking how hard it would be to submit a patch to add that functionality to mcpatcher.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:If you're seriously going to stop updating to new versions of minecraft doesn't that get rid of most of your reasons for wanting to make your own game? :P
No, I want to be done with MC one way or another. If anything, it would just free up more of my time to work on RTH because I won't have to keep jumping back to BTW to perform version updates.
johnt

Post by johnt »

so boats are broken apparently:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... _mechanic/

• Boats in 1.6 are, contrary to what was probably intended, more difficult to control than ever. A, S, and D are no longer valid controls while in a boat, making it impossible to look around while still heading in one direction, and furthermore making it impossible to adequately bring the boat to a stop when approaching land/to avoid a crash. All turns are now controlled merely by which way the player looks, resulting in excessively wide turns that are much more apt to turn into collisions.
• It is no longer possible to break a boat while still in it. The switch to LShift is fine, as a means of getting out of the boat, but one should still be able to destroy the boat before getting out of it. Without this feature, the boat is more liable to slip away out of reach, upon the player's exit.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

johnt wrote:so boats are broken apparently:
Saw this coming a mile off. Left shift was a good idea, but boats are now basically unusable 1.6. Furthermore, the resource-packs suck hard. As to the new mod installation process, I don't know. It seems a bit more complex than it needs to be, but I don't think it's horrible. Definitely not ideal, though.
Sage

Post by Sage »

FlowerChild wrote: There's not a single new feature in 1.6 that I would have chosen to add myself, and the smaller debatable features like coal blocks, carpets, or hay bales are like under 30 minute jobs for me to add myself to the game anyways (I mean from scratch).
This will also make possible for you to compress those deco-like blocks into single block ID using metadata? I suppose it would be a relief for you to free up precoius space that Mojang waste to make useless, ID wasteful new blocks.
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

I just downloaded the new launcher so I can be up to date, and I thought that installing BTW with Flowerchild's instructions above would be very simple. Somehow, I managed to fuck it up three times, with his instructions right next to me. I hate vanilla's shit so much that I just named the version "BTW4.8.5b" and said fuck it to 1.X.X. The current BTW version IS the current Minecraft version to me now.

Also, horses were a bad idea. We already had pigs man.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sage wrote:This will also make possible for you to compress those deco-like blocks into single block ID using metadata? I suppose it would be a relief for you to free up precoius space that Mojang waste to make useless, ID wasteful new blocks.
Well, yes and no. The clay requires a blockID onto itself (and then some) for the basic cooked color, then the 16 variants.

Hay bales are directional, taking up about a half a blockID min. Coal blocks don't need a blockID onto themselves.

So no, not that much in the way of savings, and honestly, if I were to add aesthetic blocks, those likely wouldn't be them.
Sage

Post by Sage »

BTW, about the clay blocks, does anyone of you guys think that they look way out of place? They have both a very smooth texture AND no border, wich makes them way to un-blocky and flat. I mean, quartz is smooth but it has a border that keeps the blockyness, while wool or even smoothstone or regular clay have a bit of texture impurity that makes them look better...
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Yeah they remind me of crayola crayons rather than adobe. The textures seem so off and they're just blocks of pure colour and it very weird.
Gears

Post by Gears »

JakeZKAM wrote:Yeah they remind me of crayola crayons rather than adobe. The textures seem so off and they're just blocks of pure colour and it very weird.
Okay, as a player I could see them being useful in houses as a better alternative to wool for a plaster-like wall.

However, as a designer I had to do a double-take on that one, as it's basically a flame retardant version of wool that takes up two block IDs. Even then, it's still less efficient than wool considering it's a non-renewable resource that needs one dye for 8 clay blocks, while wool requires one dye and grass for an infinite factory of dyed blocks(in vanilla at least). There's just no justification for using the dyed clay considering it's only boon is being stronger than wool.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

I'm trying my darndest to understand why they found it necessary to have a 17th, undyed color for the hardened clay.

I mean, you know people are going to beg Dinnerbone now for a recipe to "undye" it.
Gears

Post by Gears »

ExpHP wrote:I'm trying my darndest to understand why they found it necessary to have a 17th, undyed color for the hardened clay.

I mean, you know people are going to beg Dinnerbone now for a recipe to "undye" it.
Word. If anybody begs for that, I would kindly request they try to take the milk out of a cookie, then come back when they've figured it out. With luck they'll never come back or we'll have a Nobel Prize winner.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

We'll probably do a 1.6.2 pre-release tomorrow to fix some big bugs. Here's a list of fixes so far: https://mojang.atlassian.net/secure/Rel ... sion=12408 … (+3 hidden)
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 5902345216
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Woot!
[MC-2025] - Animals going out of fenced areas/suffocate in blocks when loading chunks
<dances>

I may run a diff between the 1.6 and 1.6.2 code specifically to find that bug fix and correct it in the next version of BTW :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

If anyone wants to see the kind of chaos the new launcher is causing for tech support of .jar mods, I suggest checking out the Modloader thread:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/754 ... _st__30800

Wheeeeeeeee!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, and thank the gods:
[MC-15547] - "Nether-Fortress-Only" Mobs no longer spawning in previously generated Fortresses
I'm getting this stuff from the link in the above mentioned tweet btw:

https://mojang.atlassian.net/secure/Rel ... sion=12408
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

FlowerChild wrote:Woot!
[MC-2025] - Animals going out of fenced areas/suffocate in blocks when loading chunks
<dances>

I may run a diff between the 1.6 and 1.6.2 code specifically to find that bug fix and correct it in the next version of BTW :)
Grum mentioned the cause of this in IRC.

«+Grum» he found some issue that might have been the cause of it
«+Grum» rather horridly scary weird bug
«+Grum» when animals spawn they have a 'default sized' boundingbox
«+Grum» when then during init we look up the right size and set it ... but it grows only in the x/z direction
«+Grum» instead of growing 'all around it'
«+Grum» (so it grows from a corner rather than 'growing centered')
«+Grum» which gets entities in a weird state
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

TheGuy wrote:Grum mentioned the cause of this in IRC.

«+Grum» he found some issue that might have been the cause of it
«+Grum» rather horridly scary weird bug
«+Grum» when animals spawn they have a 'default sized' boundingbox
«+Grum» when then during init we look up the right size and set it ... but it grows only in the x/z direction
«+Grum» instead of growing 'all around it'
«+Grum» (so it grows from a corner rather than 'growing centered')
«+Grum» which gets entities in a weird state
Interesting... so that was the cause all along? I'm still wondering about the large body of evidence stating that it was somehow related to chunk boundaries, but I guess that could apply here as well.
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

Interesting... so that was the cause all along? I'm still wondering about the large body of evidence stating that it was somehow related to chunk boundaries, but I guess that could apply here as well.
That seems logical to me, as it only happens to a few near the fence/wall and not all of em.
Last edited by sacrife on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

FlowerChild wrote:Woot!
<dances>

Awesome.

Is that the only fix worth porting from 1.6.x? Wow. Mojang is really slipping these days.
Can't wait for 1.7 to see more stuff nobody wants which is out of synch with the game and its gameplay.
Grom PE

Post by Grom PE »

> Is that the only fix worth porting from 1.6.x?

My favorite fix is [MC-4631] - Lava decay fails to schedule block update
Programming is thinking.
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

Grom PE wrote:> Is that the only fix worth porting from 1.6.x?

My favorite fix is [MC-4631] - Lava decay fails to schedule block update
I think FC intentionally keeps that in. He likes the lava trolling.