Better Wolves Spoiler thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
-J-

Re: Better Wolves Spoiler thread

Post by -J- »

kilgore trout wrote:
-J- wrote:Tinfoil hat time!
Spoiler
Show
Okay, at one point I met my untimely demise in my current world in the jaws of The Beast. I had three wolves with me at that time, two grown ups and one pup. Long story short, I was mining cobble and working my way to the second level of strata and got cornered by something growly and black ---> dead. After a while I worked my way back from another spawn, only to find the Beast still lurking inside my base. I managed to trap the fucker in a hole and continued to beat the demonic shit out of it (sadly, my new wolf companion ate the rotten flesh it dropped and had to be put down). After securing my base, I noticed that only the two grown up wolves that I had were alive, but the pup had vanished. Is there something about wolf breeding that we do not know by any chance?
If I read correctly, you killed one of your wolves, right? The one that ate the rotten flesh. So the baby probably grew up leaving you with two wolves.
I have HC spawn enabled and had to recruit a couple more wolves when I started looking for my first base. I meant that BEFORE I died I had those three wolves in my base and when I returned I brought another with me which I had to put down. Sorry for not being too clear on that.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
kilgore trout

Post by kilgore trout »

-J- wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Okay, at one point I met my untimely demise in my current world in the jaws of The Beast. I had three wolves with me at that time, two grown ups and one pup. Long story short, I was mining cobble and working my way to the second level of strata and got cornered by something growly and black ---> dead. After a while I worked my way back from another spawn, only to find the Beast still lurking inside my base. I managed to trap the fucker in a hole and continued to beat the demonic shit out of it (sadly, my new wolf companion ate the rotten flesh it dropped and had to be put down). After securing my base, I noticed that only the two grown up wolves that I had were alive, but the pup had vanished. Is there something about wolf breeding that we do not know by any chance?
If I read correctly, you killed one of your wolves, right? The one that ate the rotten flesh. So the baby probably grew up leaving you with two wolves.
I have HC spawn enabled and had to recruit a couple more wolves when I started looking for my first base. I meant that BEFORE I died I had those three wolves in my base and when I returned I brought another with me which I had to put down. Sorry for not being too clear on that.
Ah that makes sense. Cool avatar, by the way!
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

Spoiler
Show
remember that wolf pups can't jump just like other baby mobs
-J-

Post by -J- »

RalphKastro wrote:
Spoiler
Show
I'm not sure I'm catching your drift...
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

-J- wrote:
RalphKastro wrote:
Spoiler
Show
I'm not sure I'm catching your drift...
How long were you gone for? it's possible the pup grew up, suffocated in a wall and the drops de-spawned before you got back to check. Or maybe it glitched through the floor into a cave system below. Animals do not like walls. Wolves can be a particular nuisance -_-
kilgore trout

Post by kilgore trout »

edit: Whoops. Didn't mean to steer this off topic.
Last edited by kilgore trout on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I think i've found a theme song for hardcore wolves :) from what people are saying i think it fits good (i havent encountered the dreaded direwolf yet)

lyrics can be found in the video's discription

Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I know Im late to this party. But I just wanted to applaud FC on his genius with the wolves. I don't know if it's been pointed out yet. But the "dire wolf" is called The Beast. And it becomes The Beast when you feed it zombie flesh. So the warning for all to heed is: Don't Feed the Beast. (ba-dum-pish) Bravo FC, it's the little things like that , that make BTW amazing.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Ohgodthebeastohcrapohgodohno.

I don't believe I have ever been this scared in a videogame since I played HL2's Ravenholm chapter. I think I got very lucky this time (at least, if the beast can pass through 1 block openings there would have been a direct path to me). All wolves will be contained in quarantaine from now on.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

So i have been deliberately doing early game in wolf infested environments and i often feel compelled to avoid these areas and enter wolf-less environments due to the added risks. Dealing with a pack of hungry wolves as you exit your base in the morning is possible with a crude dead-fall and a few axes ; the real threat is moving through open terrain in areas you've already explored that have low visibility like forests, you can't see the wolf till it's in your face. I've recently considered avoiding these environments or skirting around the periphery avoiding areas that have wolves but no more animals to feed them and instead fortify myself in swamps, jungles or plains till i get get some armor up.

I know this circumvents the whole wolf threat and FC has made comments about swamps and jungles being too easy. Would this strategy be somewhat against the spirit of hardcore wolves to begin with and the exploitation of weaker biomes ?
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:...avoiding these environments or skirting around the periphery avoiding areas that have wolves but no more animals to feed them and instead fortify myself in swamps, jungles or plains till i get get some armor up.
I think the very fact that you're afraid enough of forests/taiga to alter your behavior matches the spirit of hardcore wolves perfectly.

I recently started a new world and thought the initial area looked quite nice start with exposed stone, coal, plenty of trees... and then I saw the first wolf. I bee-lined straight until I hit the edge of the forest and dug into a hill across the river. I only started forays back into the woods once the howling was not a nightly occurrence.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Actually i was doing pretty good with wolves for a while. When i can anticipate their attack i can deal with them in large quantities. What killed me was when i wanted to tier up to pumpkins so i began a journey to go look for them. I was also eyeing a jungle in the horizon i hadn't been to yet but decided i wanted to do it the hard way. Also i was getting low on food so i needed to get a more sustainable food system up. I cut across the forest i had spawned in rather than run around it and i had zero time react. I had wanted to run up a tree with ladders and smack downward but i didn't have time and i couldn't throw food because of push back.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

"A howl came up from the forest. How many wolves were there? You never saw them…and then, when they cried out, it sounded as though there was one behind every tree. This one went on and on—it sounded like a cry thrown into a lake of air, the ripples spreading out across the mountains."
Terry Pratchett

I think it is perfect.
Better is the enemy of Good
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

-Frost

And death shall have no dominion.
Under the windings of the sea
They lying long shall not die windily;
Twisting on racks when sinews give way,
Strapped to a wheel, yet they shall not break;
Faith in their hands shall snap in two,
And the unicorn evils run them through;
Split all ends up they shan't crack;
And death shall have no dominion.

-Thomas

I am now living in a ravine under a taiga biome far away from any wolves in my new playthrough. If and when I return to that forest I will be equipped much better.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

I have a pet Beast in a cage in the corner of my basement. For scientific purposes, you know. Like for instance, what does he do when I poke him with sticks?

...I have a nasty feeling I'm gonna regret this eventually...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jkievlan wrote: ...I have a nasty feeling I'm gonna regret this eventually...
Suggestion received :)
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:
jkievlan wrote: ...I have a nasty feeling I'm gonna regret this eventually...
Suggestion received :)
Lol...can't wait :)
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

I was curious, I've had tamed wolves of another player start attacking me after I attacked a wild wolf in their presence. Wasn't sure if this was bug or intended behavior given the now shifty and untrustworthy nature of bootie-less wolves.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.