Having trouble installing BTW v4.84

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
ThatOneDude

Having trouble installing BTW v4.84

Post by ThatOneDude »

I haven't had this trouble with any past releases of BTW. All I'm doing is dragging the BTW files into the minecraft.jar, and deleting META-INF. I'm not installing Modloader, and that compatibility was removed in 4.84. It gets stuck at the "Done loading" screen. I'm using 1.5.2.
Quality comes before quantity.
Vexalor

Re: Having trouble installing BTW v4.84

Post by Vexalor »

I really don't know what could be causing this, but I'm guessing that there is some form of file corruption or install-specific issues going on. Here's what I would do (and I know you know most if not all of this already, but at least you can keep track of what you're doing):

1. Force Update Minecraft (to 1.5.2) and make sure it is actually 1.5.2 on the title screen before exiting.
2. Acquire an archiver like 7-zip if you have not already.
3. Download BTW v4.84 from these forums or MCF (don't go elsewhere; others have had trouble with this and it isn't actually legal).
4. Open BTW and your Minecraft.jar using the archiver.
5. In the BTW zip go to the Minecraft Jar folder (the top one, if the window is too small).
6. Use control-a to select all and drag from the BTW window to the Minecraft window to copy.
7. Delete META-INF in the Minecraft window.
8. You may wish to put the BTW Config anywhere in the Minecraft directory.
9. Return here to report any further issues.

Although most of this should be very obvious, I tried to subtly address all the less noticeable common issues.
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Vexalor wrote:I really don't know what could be causing this, but I'm guessing that there is some form of file corruption or install-specific issues going on. Here's what I would do (and I know you know most if not all of this already, but at least you can keep track of what you're doing):

1. Force Update Minecraft (to 1.5.2) and make sure it is actually 1.5.2 on the title screen before exiting.
2. Acquire an archiver like 7-zip if you have not already.
3. Download BTW v4.84 from these forums or MCF (don't go elsewhere; others have had trouble with this and it isn't actually legal).
4. Open BTW and your Minecraft.jar using the archiver.
5. In the BTW zip go to the Minecraft Jar folder (the top one, if the window is too small).
6. Use control-a to select all and drag from the BTW window to the Minecraft window to copy.
7. Delete META-INF in the Minecraft window.
8. You may wish to put the BTW Config anywhere in the Minecraft directory.
9. Return here to report any further issues.

Although most of this should be very obvious, I tried to subtly address all the less noticeable common issues.
Ok, as stated in the OP, I know how to install Better Than Wolves. I didn't come to the tech support forum to be told to drag and drop the files from the MINECRAFT-JAR folder to the minecraft.jar. You've not been very helpful by repeating the install process that I went through in your post.
If anyone would like to provide any further help, that'd be great.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Are you installing on a Mac by any chance?
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

ThatOneDude wrote: Ok, as stated in the OP, I know how to install Better Than Wolves. I didn't come to the tech support forum to be told to drag and drop the files from the MINECRAFT-JAR folder to the minecraft.jar. You've not been very helpful by repeating the install process that I went through in your post.
If anyone would like to provide any further help, that'd be great.
Well you didn't state exactly what you did and in all honesty most people with install issues ten to make silly mistakes like forgetting to delete meta-inf. He's trying to be helpful.

How many times have you tried to update? Vex was trying to suggest a corrupt jar file which means if you only updated MC once the jar file is still buggered no matter how many times you check stuff.

How long have you let it wait at the "Done Loading" screen? Maybe the computer is just being slow.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe your java needs updating.
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

I'm sorry if I came off as rude before, I was just rather annoyed and didn't have time for an installation tutorial.
I've already figured out the issue; because I'm on a Mac, the "net" folder that's in the BTW folder was overwriting the net folder in the minecraft.jar, which is essential for Minecraft to launch properly. On Windows, it merges the folders, and on Mac, it overwrites them. So, all I had to do was copy the contents of the BTW "net" folder to the one in the minecraft.jar, rather than dragging in the folder itself, and it worked fine. Thanks for everyone that tried to help. Someone can lock this down now if they wish.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

ThatOneDude wrote:I'm sorry if I came off as rude before, I was just rather annoyed and didn't have time for an installation tutorial.
I've already figured out the issue; because I'm on a Mac, the "net" folder that's in the BTW folder was overwriting the net folder in the minecraft.jar, which is essential for Minecraft to launch properly. On Windows, it merges the folders, and on Mac, it overwrites them. So, all I had to do was copy the contents of the BTW "net" folder to the one in the minecraft.jar, rather than dragging in the folder itself, and it worked fine. Thanks for everyone that tried to help. Someone can lock this down now if they wish.
Sorry if I came out being condescending. As I said in my post, it was quite clear that you knew how to install BTW, but I needed to establish a baseline to figure out what was going on. With an issue this elusive, I needed to know EXACTLY what you were doing, and the best way to accomplish this was to give exhaustive, albeit obvious, instructions.

I'm glad you figured it out; I screwed up myself, considering I assumed that you were on Windows, or at least didn't consider that facet of the issue.

Ditto to the potential lockdown.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

In the future, a crash log would be helpful.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

ThatOneDude wrote:It gets stuck at the "Done loading" screen.
There wasn't a crash.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

danielngtiger wrote:There wasn't a crash.
Seems like a crash to me. There's always a crash log if MC hangs from experience.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx