Better Wolves Spoiler thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gabecraft1234

Re: Better Wolves Spoiler thread

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

Fucking trolls . . .

you got me

I should have know though it did seem rather out of FC's character to add something like that.

It was that screen shot at the beginning that did me in.
OpposingForces

Post by OpposingForces »

the howling freaked me out as i hadn't noticed it in the change logs. i had recently been trying out the early game again to see how all these new changes effects it. then the howling started.... i think i'll stay inside.
Why do all the Zombies look like Steve?
Bynari

Post by Bynari »

OpposingForces wrote:the howling freaked me out as i hadn't noticed it in the change logs. i had recently been trying out the early game again to see how all these new changes effects it. then the howling started.... i think i'll stay inside.
I think the howling is significant somehow, more than just being creepy. Maybe that's how the wolves turn- they hear the howls of The Beast and it changes them. Worth looking into, anyway.
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

Bynari wrote:
OpposingForces wrote:the howling freaked me out as i hadn't noticed it in the change logs. i had recently been trying out the early game again to see how all these new changes effects it. then the howling started.... i think i'll stay inside.
I think the howling is significant somehow, more than just being creepy. Maybe that's how the wolves turn- they hear the howls of The Beast and it changes them. Worth looking into, anyway.

i dont think it works like that or most wolves you encounter would would be turned

plus i dont think FC would make it that simple. no im pretty sure he wouldn't. plus it doesnt really make sense.

wolf "oh ima gunna change cause i hear howling" nope no logic
but i think the howling is used for something diffrent

EDIT: again excuse my horrible spelling
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

So, I was out on a wolf gathering trip. I recruited 5 of them and decided to build myself a quick home out by the ice to stay the night before returning.

In the middle of the night, as I'm finishing up the roof above me - in a position where no hostile wolves could possibly see me - a hungry wolf suddenly jumps down through my unfinished ceiling to tear at my face.

It was a full moon, and my new dogs were howling all night in response to the howls from the Taiga. It's almost like my dogs called the wolf over, saying, "you want food? We've got some right here!"...
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Bynari wrote:I think the howling is significant somehow, more than just being creepy. Maybe that's how the wolves turn- they hear the howls of The Beast and it changes them. Worth looking into, anyway.
In my own testing, the only way I could get wolves to turn into the Beast was by feeding them rotten flesh. Also, I'm not actually certain the Beast howls in the first place like other wolves. I may actually have to go back to my outpost and do some further tests.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Just died in my new official world whilst caving and spawned in the middle of a forest, during night, on a full moon.... Luckly I ended up in a tree, yet I feel like I'm about to go insane from the sheer amount of wolves howling around me. Is it just me or are they ganging up to form packs when they howl?
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

JakeZKAM wrote:Is it just me or are they ganging up to form packs when they howl?
Interesting thought. It might explain what happened to me... Also, I do very frequently see hungry wolves sitting side by side in pairs of 2 at night, staring at me as I sail by. (it happens often enough for me to have noticed, at least)

Though I don't think they really form big packs; really, the only time I ever see more than 3 or 4 wolves at a time is when they've just recently spawned.
-J-

Post by -J- »

This is just speculation, but I thought if anyone else ran into something like this:
Spoiler
Show
I was goofin' around my dirt hut one night and got jumped by The Thing/Beast. I'm not 100% sure whether or not my base was completely airtight or so, but could the new ability that was added to the beast be *gulp* digging? Because it would kinda make sense. Anyone else seen that happen?/spoiler]
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Did you have any other wolves at the time? I have the suspicion that the beast can infect your wolves either through howls or biting them. Or you may simply have a 1x1 hole he slipped into.

As for the hungry wolves sitting next to each other i've noticed that to but I've heard so many of them surrounding me in my tree one night, or I may simply be paranoid haha. One psychological effect that I absolutley love is the disorientation wolf howls cause and not knowing how many are out there in the dark hehe.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

do wolves spawn in jungles? because I keep hearing them howl from my shelter that's in a beach surrounded by a giant jungle and the ocean
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

JakeZKAM wrote: I have the suspicion that the beast can infect your wolves either through howls or biting them.
i really don't think they infect through howls -_- if they did it would be a hell alot harder to go around at night. i think it just may be through contact [as much as you can get in BTW] or through another means. rotten flesh seems the most reasonable right now.

RalphKastro wrote:do wolves spawn in jungles? because I keep hearing them howl from my shelter that's in a beach surrounded by a giant jungle and the ocean
no so sure really i live no where near a jungle in my single world.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

So while everyone has been distracted by the bootsies and the beast. No one has mentioned that wolves tip their heads up when they howl. It's just a nice little visual thing.
Spoiler
Show
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote:So while everyone has been distracted by the bootsies and the beast. No one has mentioned that wolves tip their heads up when they howl. It's just a nice little visual thing.
Hehe...thank you. I did spend a bit of time on that to get it right :)
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

destineternel wrote:So while everyone has been distracted by the bootsies and the beast. No one has mentioned that wolves tip their heads up when they howl. It's just a nice little visual thing.
Also:
Spoiler
Show
And now I wave some chicken in front of them:
The first time I saw this I was in a house and there were 5 dogs sitting across the room. I felt very uncomfortable eating something meaty in front of them. So I went to another room to eat undisturbed.

Oh, and the beast in the background was created on purpose for science.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Elevatator, not to rain on your parade, but they've always done that. It's been in vanilla since at least official release 1.2
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Damn Paranoia.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Elevatator wrote:Image Snip
The beast in that screenshot reminds me of something... What was it... Oh, yeah!
Spoiler
Show
Now it all makes sense.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
-J-

Post by -J- »

JakeZKAM wrote:Did you have any other wolves at the time? I have the suspicion that the beast can infect your wolves either through howls or biting them. Or you may simply have a 1x1 hole he slipped into.

As for the hungry wolves sitting next to each other i've noticed that to but I've heard so many of them surrounding me in my tree one night, or I may simply be paranoid haha. One psychological effect that I absolutley love is the disorientation wolf howls cause and not knowing how many are out there in the dark hehe.
No, I didn't have any wolves at the moment (I could hardly sustain my own level of happy-fatty, didn't really feel comfortable with a bunch of predators droolin' over my modest food stockpile.) I'm also pretty sure that my hidey-hole was pretty airtight. Well, just wanted to make a wild guess, I guess. If I may say it would have been something Flowerchild would actually do (encouraging players to actually fortify their hidey-holes with stone/wood to prevent unholy entities, such as the Beast, from entering a frightened survivalists humble abode.)
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
kilgore trout

Post by kilgore trout »

-J- wrote:
JakeZKAM wrote:Did you have any other wolves at the time? I have the suspicion that the beast can infect your wolves either through howls or biting them. Or you may simply have a 1x1 hole he slipped into.

No, I didn't have any wolves at the moment (I could hardly sustain my own level of happy-fatty, didn't really feel comfortable with a bunch of predators droolin' over my modest food stockpile.) I'm also pretty sure that my hidey-hole was pretty airtight. Well, just wanted to make a wild guess, I guess. If I may say it would have been something Flowerchild would actually do (encouraging players to actually fortify their hidey-holes with stone/wood to prevent unholy entities, such as the Beast, from entering a frightened survivalists humble abode.)
Interesting that you brought this point up. I have been fortifying my holes the best I can because of paranoia in this regard.
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

kilgore trout wrote:
-J- wrote:

Interesting that you brought this point up. I have been fortifying my holes the best I can because of paranoia in this regard.
true true i actully replaced my windows because of all the paranoia i was having.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

So started a new game a few hours ago and suspect that "The Beast" has fallen down into an extremely labyrinthine and branch heavy surface cave network I have slowly been pushing forward in. I just got enough iron for a pick but that's about it. Should I continue or abandon this cave?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Depends on your caving style. If you take the slow approach, securing branches and making control points ever so often go for it! If your style is very loose leave till better equipped unless you are burning for an exciting short life :P
-J-

Post by -J- »

Tinfoil hat time!
Spoiler
Show
Okay, at one point I met my untimely demise in my current world in the jaws of The Beast. I had three wolves with me at that time, two grown ups and one pup. Long story short, I was mining cobble and working my way to the second level of strata and got cornered by something growly and black ---> dead. After a while I worked my way back from another spawn, only to find the Beast still lurking inside my base. I managed to trap the fucker in a hole and continued to beat the demonic shit out of it (sadly, my new wolf companion ate the rotten flesh it dropped and had to be put down). After securing my base, I noticed that only the two grown up wolves that I had were alive, but the pup had vanished. Is there something about wolf breeding that we do not know by any chance?
kilgore trout

Post by kilgore trout »

-J- wrote:Tinfoil hat time!
Spoiler
Show
Okay, at one point I met my untimely demise in my current world in the jaws of The Beast. I had three wolves with me at that time, two grown ups and one pup. Long story short, I was mining cobble and working my way to the second level of strata and got cornered by something growly and black ---> dead. After a while I worked my way back from another spawn, only to find the Beast still lurking inside my base. I managed to trap the fucker in a hole and continued to beat the demonic shit out of it (sadly, my new wolf companion ate the rotten flesh it dropped and had to be put down). After securing my base, I noticed that only the two grown up wolves that I had were alive, but the pup had vanished. Is there something about wolf breeding that we do not know by any chance?
If I read correctly, you killed one of your wolves, right? The one that ate the rotten flesh. So the baby probably grew up leaving you with two wolves.