Let's Play with Flowerchild

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
sacrife

Re: Let's Play with Flowerchild

Post by sacrife »

Now there is a new bug. I can't see episode 4. And 5. And 6 ... I need moar!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

sacrife wrote:Now there is a new bug. I can't see episode 4. And 5. And 6 ... I need moar!
I have the exact same feeling :P
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Thanks very much Icy and FC. I've found this quite enlightening and I enjoy hearing your first hand thoughts on decisions regarding the changes you've made in BTW. Especially with the recent changes you've made.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

^ Yes i completely agree :)

But there seems to be so many things discussed that I have questions every minute. Does icy have a livestream?
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Hey Icy! You're doing a great job of interviewing FC :)

I'd just like to point out that let's play with Flowerchild is a pretty ambiguous title...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote: But there seems to be so many things discussed that I have questions every minute. Does icy have a livestream?
Icy does stream, but it's not something I'd want to participate in for the reasons that were discussed above.

The whole reason this format works for me is that people can't ask questions ;)
Bevanz

Post by Bevanz »

Watched the first episode last night, entertaining and informative. I know you play the mod all the time from what you've said previously, but it's nice to see you actually play it. For the longest time in Minecraft development, the devs at Mojang seem like they never play it at all.

Can't wait till I get off work to watch the next episodes

And, btw, I'm in the same boat with you guys, I literally haven't played Minecraft without having BTW installed in a great while.
He flaps his boney wings at you, but you ask how he can fly with those things and he crashes to the ground.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Alright. I was very much entertained by the first episode. Might be the first BTW Let's play series I watch since Battosay started his! Hope this keeps going! :D
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Yet again I am late to the party, but wow. The moment I saw this thread title, who authored it, and the fact that it contained an actual video link, I cancelled my afternoon business and grabbed a bag of popcorn. This is going to be good.

I'm still watching the first episodes, but I am definitely not disappointed. Thanks for putting this together, Icy and FC. It has to have been ages since we've heard FC talk about the mod. Was the last time really that audio put on over Batto's LP all that time ago?

As a side note, I was just thinking about how common taiga/tundra spawns are and when that started. I may be wrong, but didn't that sort of thing start happening when Mojang apparently decided to set world generation so that biomes generally occurred about as frequently as the portion of earth's landmass that their real counterparts occupy? It follows that snowy biomes would be much more common given how much of earth's surface is covered with vast stretches of taiga and tundra, be it across Antarctica or Northern Asia.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Husbag3 wrote:Hey Icy! You're doing a great job of interviewing FC :)

I'd just like to point out that let's play with Flowerchild is a pretty ambiguous title...
It is in no way ambiguous. It states up front that FC and Icy will be spending their nights together in close quarters sharing intimate moments and swapping meat. This is precisely what occurs.
Better is the enemy of Good
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

Do you have any idea how long the series will run, Icy? This is fantastic. It's great to hear Flowerchild talk so personally about his mod.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Vexalor wrote:As a side note, I was just thinking about how common taiga/tundra spawns are and when that started. I may be wrong, but didn't that sort of thing start happening when Mojang apparently decided to set world generation so that biomes generally occurred about as frequently as the portion of earth's landmass that their real counterparts occupy? It follows that snowy biomes would be much more common given how much of earth's surface is covered with vast stretches of taiga and tundra, be it across Antarctica or Northern Asia.
Err... I think you may be a tad confused about how much of the earth is actually covered in snow based on the size distortion of the extreme latitudes experienced while looking at a map...
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Sarudak wrote:Err... I think you may be a tad confused about how much of the earth is actually covered in snow based on the size distortion of the extreme latitudes experienced while looking at a map...
I'm not that stupid, sir ;). No, taiga and tundra actually take up a large percent of earth's landmass, no joke. I'm not talking about the distortion caused by two-dimensional cartography. Taiga constitutes more than fifteen percent of earth's surface, and tundra an additional eight percent. I also never said that Mojang's implementation of the weighting of biomes worked properly. In fact, the taiga is generally considered to be the single largest biome on earth, depending, of course, on how you divide different environments into certain subset biomes that are to be considered "unique".
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Anavros wrote:Do you have any idea how long the series will run, Icy? This is fantastic. It's great to hear Flowerchild talk so personally about his mod.
After what is already up I have 3 more hours of content to release.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

icynewyear wrote:After what is already up I have 3 more hours of content to release.
Holy crap, so there are going to be <does math in head> somewhere in the realm of/up to fifteen episodes total?!

I look forward to watching.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Icy, I didn't know you were friends with Jim Henson! ;p
I'm not normally one to watch LPs, but I'm enjoying this one so far. I look forward to more :)
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

I'm glad to see FC doing videos again, especially LPs. It's really nice to see how he goes about playing with his own changes and hearing the reasoning behind the design. Looking forward to the rest of the videos.

I find it entertaining how much of a divider FCs "This is the way it is, if you don't like it GTFO." view on game design is. I know a few people that won't touch BTW for that reason alone, let alone hardcore spawn, etc. The day they finally play the game and realize the "GTFO" attitude is what get's us awesome gameplay mechanics and not just "LOLZ PONIES!"... it will be glorious.

Anyways, looking forward Icy. Thanks for joining in FC. :)
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Episode 4

CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Good man Icy.

Keep 'em comin'. :)

lol, I'm loving this so far, and on topic of ep 3, that is one of the many reasons I love lurking in these forums. I really do enjoy getting game design insight from the pros. :) I find I naturally enjoy hearing about the way ppl think, why they do things the way they do and such. It's quite fascinating, honestly.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Same thing for me as well, I love hearing all the tidbits and reasons behind design decisions and feel like they've been great inspiration for myself to become a designer someday. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when my video froze at the explanation of why beds are bad and I ended up finishing FC's sentence before it loaded up again XD. So a personal thank you to FC for still teaching us good game design despite the shit storm, and a thank you to Icy and FC for putting this series together as it's even more informative!
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

I'll admit, this has been the first BTW Let's Play I've actually watched, and not just so I can see Flowerchild done in by his own creations. The insights this provides to how FC designs and the reasoning behind such major changes as HC Spawn et cetera is just plain cool to actually have verbalised or otherwise aired - which again puts FC in a position of being one of the very few mod makers that take the time to interact (indirectly in this case, but still) with their community - so massive props to you man for that.

And to Icy - you're awesome :) But seriously, it is absolutely refreshing to have a video like this where the non-mod maker isn't butting in and interrupting someones train of thought every two seconds, as is typical of the self-entitled masses.
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Just watched up through the 5th episode and I really like it. I'm using it as a bridge to get a group of friends to try out BTW. It's hard to get the "hard is good" idea across and this is a good format to see it discussed by the person who made it.

So thanks!
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

In reference to something Icy said about people thinking night time is boring: It's not night time that's boring for me -- it's rainy days. I find myself poking around my base, digging out more stone than I need and building random little branch mines until it stops raining -- cause I don't wanna go out there, there's scary things out there in the rain :)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Out of curiosity;

If you ever get developed enough for this to be practical, will there be world downloads?

Because I think that would just be the coolest thing :)