Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Sarudak »

How is it bashing?
Larry Wall wrote:... the three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience, and hubris.
On the other hand he's right about it no being minecraft news. Keep on topic people.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

ok!

Note to self : Post some where else on forms or don't post in future.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Well, horse day is nearly upon us if the launcher is to be believed. T- 1 week.

Should be interesting to see how that goes.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

And finally, Minecraft 1.6 - the “Horse Update”, will be released next week! The update has leads, carpets, hard clay, donkeys, mules, and of course horses! This update requires a new Minecraft launcher to load. We’ll post more info about that here and on Mojang.com when it’s ready.
http://mcupdate.tumblr.com/post/5335508 ... -at-mojang
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Yes dinnerbone, totally not the mob update. Not at all.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Stormweaver wrote:Yes dinnerbone, totally not the mob update. Not at all.
I thought it was being referred to as the UHC update ;).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote:
And finally, Minecraft 1.6 - the “Horse Update”, will be released next week! The update has leads, carpets, hard clay, donkeys, mules, and of course horses! This update requires a new Minecraft launcher to load. We’ll post more info about that here and on Mojang.com when it’s ready.
Sigh...ok, just fuck right off. I was really hoping I was correct in saying that the update might be months away :)

I do believe this is going to be a huge fucking "whatever" update for me. Not only do none of the new features interest me and just represent more code I have to rip out of the game, but the changes to the resource system just mean additional headaches in having to convert over to yet another new file format after having done exactly that for 1.5.

So yeah, I've been in no hurry to update to the last few versions of MC, and I think that will be doubly true here. Just glad I got the ML substitute into the mod so that it will hopefully reduce the amount of confusion when people try to downgrade to a previous version of MC to install the mod.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

I think the only new features in 1.6 that sound at least remotely useful is carpets and harden clay. Which both have zero effect on gameplay. I'm in no hurry to have 2 cosmetic additions, I'm to busy spending my time ACTUALLY ENJOYING THE GAME MECHANICS.

Excuse me while I get eaten by a pack of wolves.
Again.
Sarudak wrote:How is it bashing?
Larry Wall wrote:... the three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience, and hubris.
On the other hand he's right about it no being minecraft news. Keep on topic people.
That Larry Wall quote... That's going on my desk at work... tomorrow. How have I not stumbled across that yet? Well... Perl...
Psion

Post by Psion »

Hey now, don't forget the coal blocks and hay bales! I especially like the coal blocks, since I don't always have a silk touch pick to mine coal ores i find, and having your inventory filled with several stacks of coal sucks. <,<
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Psion wrote:and having your inventory filled with several stacks of coal sucks. <,<
Pro-tip: 8 wood blocks in a square makes a chest which you can then store stuff in. You're welcome :)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Jeb talked at DreamHack. http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... _revealed/

Details in spoiler with video links.
Spoiler
Show
RECORDED JUN 15TH 2PM
http://www.twitch.tv/dreamarena/b/417292925?t=46h38m

1.6 The "Horse Update"
Release Date: Before July
Horses, Donkeys, Mules, Horse Armor, Hay Bales
Undead horses probably won't get added to 1.6, they didn't fit well, but will be available in the game files for mapmakers
Might revisit Dragons sometime in the future
Mob attributes were added for custom map makers
Updated LWJGL Version
Switched to Java 6 (1.6)
OpenGL 2.0
New Launcher (is necessary for Plug-in API)
Jeb Answering Questions
1.7 might be the biome/ocean update

Jeb talking about 1.7 http://www.twitch.tv/dreamarena/b/417292925?t=46h52m45s

still slight chance Minecraft could be on steam, but unlikely
hope they can replace MCP (for modding) with their own ui
Achievement system (user data) needs to be stored on their server, but won't be anytime soon
Resource packs won't store gamerules, only for graphics and sound
Chairs and Tables? no plans right now. He's worried about not being able to vary looks easily (like the bed, always looks the same)
If they do a biome update, it's likely they'd add temples and dungeons to the new biomes
Tinted Glass? maybe, they need to solve some stuff first. some really really really tricky stuff
Shader support "should" eventually be part of the mod API
the API won't support stuff like Optifine. Eventually Optifine should be unnecessary
HD skins? maybe. he wants to update the whole skin system at some point
World Edit in creative mode? no, creative is for building. But this should be covered by the mod api
More Dimensions? unlikely, would rather improve the current dimensions
More hostile mobs? yes, Dinnerbone wants to improve customizing this for mapmakers
can we change our skin from the new launcher? ”that’s something we should consider”
might be able to dye more types of things, but haven’t really talked about it
add sponges? no plans right now. flowing water creates issues with this
Minecraft Realms: main goal is to make it easy for parents to host a server for their children
Minecraft Realms: will also be able to host competitive servers
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

destineternel wrote:Jeb talked at DreamHack. http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... _revealed/

Details in spoiler with video links.
Spoiler
Show
RECORDED JUN 15TH 2PM
http://www.twitch.tv/dreamarena/b/417292925?t=46h38m

1.6 The "Horse Update"
Release Date: Before July
Horses, Donkeys, Mules, Horse Armor, Hay Bales
Undead horses probably won't get added to 1.6, they didn't fit well, but will be available in the game files for mapmakers
Might revisit Dragons sometime in the future
Mob attributes were added for custom map makers
Updated LWJGL Version
Switched to Java 6 (1.6)
OpenGL 2.0
New Launcher (is necessary for Plug-in API)
Jeb Answering Questions
1.7 might be the biome/ocean update

Jeb talking about 1.7 http://www.twitch.tv/dreamarena/b/417292925?t=46h52m45s

still slight chance Minecraft could be on steam, but unlikely
hope they can replace MCP (for modding) with their own ui
Achievement system (user data) needs to be stored on their server, but won't be anytime soon
Resource packs won't store gamerules, only for graphics and sound
Chairs and Tables? no plans right now. He's worried about not being able to vary looks easily (like the bed, always looks the same)
If they do a biome update, it's likely they'd add temples and dungeons to the new biomes
Tinted Glass? maybe, they need to solve some stuff first. some really really really tricky stuff
Shader support "should" eventually be part of the mod API
the API won't support stuff like Optifine. Eventually Optifine should be unnecessary
HD skins? maybe. he wants to update the whole skin system at some point
World Edit in creative mode? no, creative is for building. But this should be covered by the mod api
More Dimensions? unlikely, would rather improve the current dimensions
More hostile mobs? yes, Dinnerbone wants to improve customizing this for mapmakers
can we change our skin from the new launcher? ”that’s something we should consider”
might be able to dye more types of things, but haven’t really talked about it
add sponges? no plans right now. flowing water creates issues with this
Minecraft Realms: main goal is to make it easy for parents to host a server for their children
Minecraft Realms: will also be able to host competitive servers

"the API won't support stuff like Optifine. Eventually Optifine should be unnecessary"

Lol. Right. "eventually". Unless by that they mean "eventually computers will speed up faster then we can slow down rendering" I seriously doubt this.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Didn't you know? 1.5 was already better than Optifine according to Dinnerbone, so heck, it's already unnecessary.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

MC 1.7 a biome/ocean update? Apparently even further major screwing with world generation is now deemed necessary. More mobs and especially ones that are artificially difficult? Of course.

I don't know if it really will be "before July," but it looks like MC 1.6 is coming up on us fast.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Sources? I would like to see what their plans are if they have any.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Sarudak wrote:Sources? I would like to see what their plans are if they have any.
I was referencing the Reddit post mentioned above by someone else:
destineternel wrote:Jeb talked at DreamHack. http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... _revealed/
william711

Post by william711 »

Mason11987 wrote:

"the API won't support stuff like Optifine. Eventually Optifine should be unnecessary"

Lol. Right. "eventually". Unless by that they mean "eventually computers will speed up faster then we can slow down rendering" I seriously doubt this.
Yeah, but first they'll "eventually" have to finish that API
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

The little bit of faith that I had left in Minecraft and Mojang is now completely gone. I was expecting a terrain overhaul, not a biome update that only adds temples and dungeons... Luckily, there's BTW that keeps me playing. I can't wait for RTH.
Gears

Post by Gears »

woeuntoyou wrote:The little bit of faith that I had left in Minecraft and Mojang is now completely gone. I was expecting a terrain overhaul, not a biome update that only adds temples and dungeons... Luckily, there's BTW that keeps me playing. I can't wait for RTH.
I wouldn't say Mojang, man. They're looking fairly promising with Scrolls and 0x10c.

The core of the problems with Minecraft now is they've put the new kid on the block in charge of development, and he's putting whatever he wants into the game because he doesn't know better. It's like giving a kid the keys to a candy store. He's going to run around and eat all the jellybeans without understanding the repercussions of his actions.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
johnt

Post by johnt »

FlowerChild wrote:
destineternel wrote:
Sigh...ok, just fuck right off. I was really hoping I was correct in saying that the update might be months away :)

I do believe this is going to be a huge fucking "whatever" update for me. Not only do none of the new features interest me and just represent more code I have to rip out of the game, but the changes to the resource system just mean additional headaches in having to convert over to yet another new file format after having done exactly that for 1.5.

So yeah, I've been in no hurry to update to the last few versions of MC, and I think that will be doubly true here. Just glad I got the ML substitute into the mod so that it will hopefully reduce the amount of confusion when people try to downgrade to a previous version of MC to install the mod.
I think leads have a lot of fun potential, if they can be balanced.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Not strictly minecraft news as such, but Curse (the minecraftforum people) have moved from hosting bukkit mods to...forge mods. Or something, because they also go on to say they host other mods too. But it's still curseforge.

So yeah. http://www.minecraftforum.net/#article_836
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
barcode

Post by barcode »

Stormweaver wrote:Not strictly minecraft news as such, but Curse (the minecraftforum people) have moved from hosting bukkit mods to...forge mods. Or something, because they also go on to say they host other mods too. But it's still curseforge.
CurseForge? Really? Curse forge? That's what they call it?

Ha-ha....
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
OpposingForces

Post by OpposingForces »

to be honest i'm kinda glad they aren't adding any more dimensions and they wanna focus on making the existing ones better. by the same token however i don't envy FC the headache said "Improvements" will cause him.
as far as the performance improving goes it already has improved on my old laptop. used to only get 12 fps in 1.2. either 1.3 or 1.4 made it to where i no longer needed optifine. and btw improved it further increasing performance from the 25 to 30 fps i was getting to a silky smooth 45 fps.

Oceans really do need some sorta change though as nothing about suggests an ocean, more like an overly large lake.
Guess we'll just have to see how this year goes update wise.
Why do all the Zombies look like Steve?
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Well here we go. The 1.6 pre-release is out this morning. It and future updates will require the new launcher to use.

For your reference, this is the 1.6 update change-log:

Added Horses
Added Donkeys, Mules
Added Horse Armor
Added Leads
Added Carpets
Added Hardened Clay, Stained Clay
Added Block of Coal
Added Name Tags (item)
Added Hay Bales
Texture packs are now “resource packs” that also can hold sound etc
Food meter is now drained when healed by full food meter