mod Suggestions?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
myrkana

mod Suggestions?

Post by myrkana »

I've never used any mods except BTW, any suggestions about any fun/interesting ones I should try? :) Never played any others so figured I'd give em a shot sometimes ^.^ Don't have to be overly difficult, can be a combination of mods you've tried together

and preferably ones I can use mc patcher to install
Rawr :D
Ethinolicbob

Re: mod Suggestions?

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Sorry Myr, as of 4.84 there are no longer any mods that are compatible.
If you are patient there are a number of modders working on addons for BTW :)
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

either compatible or not I'm not to picky :-p BTW is easy to reinstall if I have to :) I've heard of mods like mo' creatures so thinking of downloading that one and playing vanilla mc with it :o but tihnk it needs forge, is forge like mod loader?
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

As you know, BTW is pretty well the best mod out there in terms of gameplay depth and extent added.

I don't have any specific suggestions, though I once tried out TerraFirmaCraft, which was pretty fun, but I just thought you ought to know that virtually every mod out there these days for the current version of Minecraft, aside from BTW and Risu's mods (plus a few other random Modloader mods), has gone Forge, which means MCPatcher is not necessary except to install Forge itself. You just plop all the mod files into the mods folder in the Minecraft directory.

EDIT: And yes, Forge works just like Modloader, except that it greatly slows down Minecraft and requires all mods to appear in the mods folder rather than in the jar or mods folder like Modloader.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

Vexalor wrote:As you know, BTW is pretty well the best mod out there in terms of gameplay depth and extent added.

I don't have any specific suggestions, though I once tried out TerraFirmaCraft, which was pretty fun, but I just thought you ought to know that virtually every mod out there these days for the current version of Minecraft, aside from BTW and Risu's mods (plus a few other random Modloader mods), has gone Forge, which means MCPatcher is not necessary except to install Forge itself. You just plop all the mod files into the mods folder in the Minecraft directory.

EDIT: And yes, Forge works just like Modloader, except that it greatly slows down Minecraft and requires all mods to appear in the mods folder rather than in the jar or mods folder like Modloader.
who's Risu? o.O

and eww ): slows down my comp? >...> all ready play with most settings pretty low....
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

There's a reason why Optifine is used by so many in the Forge community. Risu is Risugami, the maker of Modloader, who has also made some of the only mods remaining that use Modloader.
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

As mentioned by Ethinolicbob, as of BTW version 4.84, no modloader mods work with BTW anymore. There will some that will ported to work with it sometime in the near future, but they'll most likely be utility mods like CraftGuide.

If you wanted to play with other mods, TerraFirmaCraft is a good mod that converts most of the game to be harder (like BTW, but more realistic, less "Minecrafty"). You can get a launcher for it from http://terrafirmacraft.com/download/.

If you'd like to experience other Minecraft mods (most of which are RPG, magic, or tech related), then checking out the FTB launcher (http://feed-the-beast.com) would be the easiest way. They have multiple packs that are very easy to install.

You could also pick and choose other mods from http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/51-minecraft-mods/. Most of the bigger/better ones only require installing either Modloader or Forge into the JAR and throwing a zip file in the mods folder.

As for low FPS, I'd recommend using default textures (even though they don't look as nice as some of the texture packs out there), disabling all animations (with OptiFine installed) and lowering particles to minimal. This tends to help on older computers.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

myrkana wrote:either compatible or not I'm not to picky :-p BTW is easy to reinstall if I have to :)
Not with BTW? I don't follow :P

But seriously its not a bad idea trying things out, if only to make you appreciate what BTW does.
It's not just the big things, it's all the small things. Dozens of small niggling things that make your brain say it's in vanilla but in fact it's a BTW tweak.

I have to disagree with Electrobot. I don't think it is a good idea to get a modpack like FTB. It's a bit like trying to masturbate in a massive orgy.
Better to pick one you think you may like and play it.
I have had fond memories with Thaumcraft, and Milleniare.
I liked terrafirmacraft's balance, but I found the gameplay a bit tedious.
Last edited by Ethinolicbob on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I can recommend Thaumcraft - going into it, you only need to know the recipe for the starter wand and that you need to use a wand on a bookshelf. After that, you never have to look at an outside resource - everything you need to know is in the Thaumonomicon.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

As for decent mods, you have Thaumcraft, Millenaire and Railcraft. Beyond those there is either no thought at all toward balance, no actual gameplay added or else they just keep mashing the reset button and bring out a version 2 or 3 that uses different terrain generation.

No matter what you pick, you're going to look at it and wonder why something is missing.
Better is the enemy of Good
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Katalliaan wrote:I can recommend Thaumcraft - going into it, you only need to know the recipe for the starter wand and that you need to use a wand on a bookshelf. After that, you never have to look at an outside resource - everything you need to know is in the Thaumonomicon.
Yeah, I really appreciate how self-contained Thaumcraft is. So much nicer than having to go check a wiki.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

DaveYanakov wrote:As for decent mods, you have Thaumcraft, Millenaire and Railcraft. Beyond those ... they just keep mashing the reset button and bring out a version 2 or 3 that uses different terrain generation.
Errr... Hate to burst your bubble but thaumcraft has already had two required regens and is about to have another whenever he releases 3.1 :P

Fun as the mod is it can't hold a candle to BTW especially with the recent changes and the constant reinventing of the mod I am finding to be tiresome and has put me off from seriously playing it.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

gonna try thaumcraft :) the idea of magic in minecraft intrigues me :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ethinolicbob wrote:I don't think it is a good idea to get a modpack like FTB. It's a bit trying to masturbate in a massive orgy.
Best fucking analogy ever :)
Psion

Post by Psion »

I will be the first to sing praises of thaumcrafts enjoyment factor, but as others have pointed out, it still can't beat BTW.

Honestly, Azanor gives me the impression of a Flowerchild that's a few decades younger and missing his spiny exoskeleton. I feel like he has a lot of promise, but still lacks experience that FC has. That said, I feel like each version of thaumcraft seems to be better than the last. He seems to be recognizing weak spots in his mod and doing his best to improve on them.

I also vote for twilight forest as a fun mod, although I'm not so certain it has balance. On the other hand, it has a fun world of its own to explore, and it's really quite enchanting. I've also died quite a few times in it simply because some of the dungeons you find in there are rather... evil. lol

Beyond that, there's mystcraft, which might not be the most balanced of mods, but it's fun to create your own custom worlds, and I think the author was trying to work out a better system for learning symbols and the like to make it more balanced.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Buildcraft used to be the bestest other mod I had played.

<cries in corner>
warmist

Post by warmist »

My recommendation is buildcraft + forestry. It's really fun to build systems and breed bees, trees and now butterflies. Some stuff might be too simple (e.g. plop a farm to have infinite wood automatically) but otherwise it's quite interesting and engaging.

Also really liked the farming aspect of Industrial Craft 2. Especially the brewing. Dunno why but it's nice to go to the cellar and pop a barrel take a swig of your favorite brew and then go adventure...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

TerraFirmaCraft, MineFantasy and Thaumcraft.

TerraFirmaCraft you need to run solo, but MineFantasy and Thaumcraft should work together, kinda. You could try throwing Tinkers Construct into the fray, which is quite fun I've heard.

None of em really compare to BTW, except for the first 20 hours of TFC and maybe the first few hours of Thaumcraft.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Six

Post by Six »

Gilberreke wrote: None of em really compare to BTW, except for the first 20 hours of TFC and maybe the first few hours of Thaumcraft.
That sums up my experience with most other mods actually. Fun for a weekend, then I feel done with them.
Psion

Post by Psion »

Lol, all this mention of mods was making me want to try some out for fun for the week, as a timewaster until the next beta test of FFXIV starts up on friday...

And then I remembered I would lose out on hardcore buckets, hardcore hunger, hardcore movement, and a million other tweaks. Suddenly the urge to try nearly vanishes, and I'm left wondering what to play until then. ;_;

Damn you FC for making me addicted to your TC! Now I wish such things were part of vanilla so I wouldn't suffer this conundrum...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Isn't Tinker's Construct that one where you mash tools together til you get an omnitool? How would that be fun?
Better is the enemy of Good
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DaveYanakov wrote:Isn't Tinker's Construct that one where you mash tools together til you get an omnitool? How would that be fun?
Maybe the end-game of the mod lets you do that, but I don't think that's how it worked when I tried it out.

Tinkers construct lets you construct tools in three parts (stick, head, binding) and the materials used in each three allow you to create custom tools of your specification. You can hand-pick tool qualities you like.

It's insanely OP after a while, but all the mods we talked about are. If you are playing Thaumcraft, stuff gets OP really quickly, I don't see how Tinkers Construct is more OP.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

I really liked TerraFirmaCraft. It's really well put together, everything feels very deliberate and polished. Balance and progression is nice. I would say it's the only mod that I possess the stuffs to compete with BTW. Problem is, you run out of the "stuffs" after a few short hours. It's great while it lasts, but the mod just isn't developed enough yet. Definitely worth the look though.

I'd stay away from mod packs though. I love me some electrical infrastructure mods, but all those mods crammed together just makes a mess. It's not balanced and generally doesn't scale. I can take a FTB world and go from nothing to fairly well automated mining facilities and power grid in the same time I am still working on not-starving and a windmills in BTW. There's no direction and everything is poorly implemented and/or balanced.

It's not all bad, I've just had better experience picking a few mods rather than just piling everything I can fit.
Uristqwerty

Post by Uristqwerty »

A lot of mod packs, especially those focusing on tech mods, seem to just be everything that looked interesting to the pack's creator, thrown together without enough thought about balance and overall how it will play, both initially and at end-game tech levels. It really doesn't help that a lot of mods focus on "does X cheaper/faster/more efficiently" as their main way to get people to use them rather than Mojang content or other mods with similar features.

The way I used to play, was to add a few mods each time I started a new world (typically at new Minecraft versions), and discard any that didn't fit very well. Far from perfect, and extremely slow, but the result is a set of mods that tends towards what you find is fun. If you typically get bored after making a certain overpowered machine combo, then you can deal with it by either dropping one of the mods involved next time, or choosing to avoid that specific combination.

(Only reason I don't do that anymore is that I've only been playing multiplayer, and almost exclusively BTW since the other people I typically play with really like abusing every exploitably overpowered combo available to them, and get bored within days of starting a new server, having acquired just about every bit of tech in the game by then)
nukularpowar

Post by nukularpowar »

As someone that plays both BTW and a lot of other mods (thanks, MultiMC) I have a few suggestions:

- As others have said, Thaumcraft 3 and Railcraft are both great. Using just those two mods is a lot of fun, especially when you get into using TC3 golems heavily - they are surprisingly versatile, and it's kinda sad, imo, that most people consider themselves "done" with TC3 without really getting into the meat of what all you can do with it. As someone else said above, the constant refactoring of Thaumcraft can indeed be a bit wearing, but, on the flip side of that, I complained when TC1 was abandoned for TC2, and I complained when TC2 was abandoned for TC3, and it turned out each was much better than the last; so now, annoying as it is to have him changing things up again, I have faith in what the modder has planned for the future.

- If you like "techy" mods, I highly recommend the UE mods/Voltz pack. They are a lot more "balanced" than things like Industrialcraft, requiring many animal farms and such to keep running, and they look a hell of a lot better to boot. In particular, the particle accelerator (which you actually build in-world) is extremely impressive and fun to play with.

- If you like Industrialcraft for whatever reason, Gregtech is a great modmod for it that almost puts an almost BTW-like spin on the thing. It adds a few fun gadgets, but the main selling point is that it makes progression massively harder and slower. It's a very good option if you prefer a much rockier climb up to the high end stuff, such as it is, and it even makes a solid effort at unifying most of the common Forge mods like Forestry and so on into a tech tree of sorts. It's definately a refreshing take on the usual philosophy.