Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DiamondArms

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by DiamondArms »

Dinnerbone is Scary. Very Scary.

Words cannot measure the terror I feel.
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

Not to mention you could knit yourself some comfy wool socks for those long treks through the Tundra. Cold feet are a bitch, you know!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

"It would be really nice if I got another Apple" - punching birch leaves
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Stormweaver wrote:"It would be really nice if I got another Apple" - punching birch leaves
I saw that one and for some reason just immediately forgot about it. Evidently, he doesn't keep the rules of his own game (if it can be considered that at this point) in mind while playing it. And then he just keeps complaining about how his new "improved skeletons" aren't present because that particular server hadn't updated yet.

At least we can depend on FlowerChild to fix whatever mistakes Dinnerbone makes (although I imagine that could get pretty depressing, fixing someone else's game design mistakes; probably why FC wants to move on RTH :) ).
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If they were really angry about the skeletons they would have updated the server and then conspired ahead of time to leave him alone until he had been shot by one.
Better is the enemy of Good
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

Stormweaver wrote:"It would be really nice if I got another Apple" - punching birch leaves
He did say that he was nervous. Most people make stupid mistakes in their first uhc, this sort of thing could be attributed to that vs not knowing the game.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Anavros wrote:
He did say that he was nervous. Most people make stupid mistakes in their first uhc, this sort of thing could be attributed to that vs not knowing the game.
This.Or you know, just thinking aloud while he just happened to be getting a birch tree. Getting saplings for either helps you set up anyway.

But the wool to silk thing though...ugh...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Don't even defend him. A game developer that doesn't know every aspect of his game by heart is not a game developer. One of the earliest reasons for involving testers into the game development cycle is because it's almost impossible for the developers to judge difficulty as they are so good at the game.

I have a story somewhere in my bookmarks of a flight sim developer that made jaws drop of veteran dog fighter pilots when he started flying an army-developed plane simulator. The reason being that he simply had more flight hours on plane simulators than any of them.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

Gilberreke wrote:Don't even defend him. A game developer that doesn't know every aspect of his game by heart is not a game developer. One of the earliest reasons for involving testers into the game development cycle is because it's almost impossible for the developers to judge difficulty as they are so good at the game.
Good point. He does seem more like a fan than a major developer. How was he put on the team?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Anavros wrote:How was he put on the team?
Because Jeb, Notch and others in Mojang have shown that they don't play the game either. It's very doubtful to me that Mojang will ever produce a good game. Remember that most of what we love about Minecraft was done pre-Mojang and that Notch seems to have lost his drive.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

So dinnerbone will make spider farms and cobweb obsololete with this wool to string bs. What I can't stand about him is he blows off any critisism that's tossed his way with single sentance responses.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Wow. Just wow. And he is working on the game? *headdesk*

I was screaming at him when he started to mine coal with a wood pickaxe. Until I realized how stupid vanilla is in the you can beat a bunch of sticks against 100ish meters cubed of solid rock and they won't break.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote: I was screaming at him when he started to mine coal with a wood pickaxe. Until I realized how stupid vanilla is in the you can beat a bunch of sticks against 100ish meters cubed of solid rock and they won't break.
Still...what player actually does that under vanilla rules, especially if you're in an environment where time is an issue (as it obviously was)?

He wasn't even motivated to make a stone pick until he wanted to mine iron, or to make a sword to speed up killing animals (nevermind defending against other players). It's like the thought of progressing through the vanilla "tech tree" just didn't occur to him. He also seemed concerned with killing animals for food, when his hunger meter was hardly budging, and when he was jumping around for no reason whatsoever burning energy like crazy (that's vanilla on the jumping btw). He went on about not using charcoal because it's "inefficient" to use wood for charcoal, when he didn't even make himself an axe to increase the speed at which he could gather it. He seemed more excited finding coal than iron, when under vanilla rules coal deposits are next to useless.

It was obvious he just doesn't "get" his own game, and as a result is probably completely oblivious to all the balance issues he just encountered in his ten minutes of play.

I'm pretty sure by the time that dude showed up and killed him, many players here would have already been wielding an iron sword, had at least some leather armor, and would totally have kicked hiss ass.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm pretty sure by the time that dude showed up and killed him, many players here would have already been wielding an iron sword, had at least some leather armor, and would totally have kicked hiss ass.
I dunno, I probably would have ragequit over how OP the wooden pick was by then. ^.^

I'm still trying to work out what was up with the theme of the game. Eternal day? Really hardcore guys, really hardcore.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:I'm still trying to work out what was up with the theme of the game. Eternal day? Really hardcore guys, really hardcore.
Hehe...I know. I think the always day thing was there to focus more on PvP than PvE, but reading through the list of modifications to the server (which was actually very brief...they're mainly playing vanilla with no auto health-regen and silly recipes for golden apples, and that's it), I hardly thought it deserved the "ultra hardcore" title either.

If that's their concept of hardcore, I suspect they'd cry like little girls if they were playing BTW ;)
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

I decided to take up the challenge and see what I could do in my first day in vMC before the sun sets.

Here's my inventory....

I haven't touched vanilla in many a month and... and... well it certainly doesn't live up to the grand title of "game."
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

What got me is that he kept saying he wanted to get enough wood and food to be able to go underground forever and then gave up on that first cave because there was no iron in the walls. I am now 85% certain that he has forgotten that you can dig through stone in Minecraft...
Sage

Post by Sage »

Just a pair of notes: the "eternal day" was added to the last UHC to make caving more dangerous (mobs can spawn only in them), as well to smooth out the late-game PvP experience. Also there is an untold rule to not branch mine and use caves in general to make the videos more fun. However it is usually allowed to make deep tunnels to find a cave. Still, Dinnerbone sucked badly at his own game, which is still softcore for the BTW player.
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Six

Post by Six »

Honestly, I imagine Better Than Wolves UHC would be filled with starving to death, cannibalism, most people dying to mobs on the first night and those that survive being eaten by hungry wolves the next day.

Actually in saying that, I'd totally watch a video of that.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Hell, in vMC, i would have had a diamond sword within like 45 minutes.

That's pretty sad for multiple reasons.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Dude, a web series about a dozen people put ashore under BTW conditions and watching them try to develop a base of operations under single life conditions would be an instant subscription.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

It would also be very short lived. in BTW, most tend to die one way or another sooner or later.

watching a bunch of people do it would be interesting though. At the end of every episode, they could tally up the remaining survivors and who died in the episode.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Competent players who are cautious die rarely even with the hardcore rules. It happens but it's usually when people get careless.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

BTW is much less tolerant of overcrowding than vanilla minecraft these days. If you get a dozen people living off the resources at spawn, someone is going to be able to give you an exit interview every episode or three.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Maybe FC should get buddy buddy with Dinnerbone so we could get a BTW snapshot :)
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.