Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Stormweaver

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Stormweaver »

I at first figured they would need horseshoes or similar - abiet, cost iron over time to actually ride them anywhere at decent speed.

But hey, a horse that's practically immortal so long as you hold wheat isn't far off, right? :/
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
devak

Post by devak »

i had a debate with a guy at the MCF about how MC would be more fun. One of the things was a better armor system where at the very least something like weight was added. the other was more uses for mobs (well there were tons of topics debated). Some of the things we considered FC did implement, like spiders spitting webs and zombies murdering animals. However some things went even farther, like zombies & skeletons not drowning and treating water like air (skeletons being almost entirely unaffected by water).

In general a lot of it boiled down to: more bang for the buck. MC has a lot of invested bucks but they pull so little bang from it. Whenever they add something new they try to focus entirely on the new stuff and don't consider what it does to existing stuff. If they looked back and did a proper integration of everything, it would be a lot better. Things like zombie mobbehavior are just small drops in a barrel of potential.

I do like that mojang is adding various things for mapmakers. Things like renaming items and naming mobs are things i miss in BTW. I know it requires an abomination to work, but they're neat little thingies.
Slstoev

Post by Slstoev »

Personally I like the "idea" of horses. But I would much rather have new non-mob related features like more machinery in vMC and BTW.

And balancing horses with horse shoes is a good idea, albeit I would still like them in BTW for "being sent to the glue factory" and more delicacies.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

There is really no way to balance horses that they are as effective as rails, but cost as much or near as much.
IT would be too pointless to even have horses then,
Slstoev

Post by Slstoev »

Maybe make a cannon or a giant crossbow, mount it on a wagon, attach horses - problem solved. ;D
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

Would horses need to be as effective as rails? I always figured they'd be considered a slightly better way to explore where as rails are great for base hopping.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

ScubaPlays wrote:Would horses need to be as effective as rails? I always figured they'd be considered a slightly better way to explore where as rails are great for base hopping.
This is the problem. Horses need to have a big enough downside to them to make rails a preferable route over a known area, so that both have their own places. As it is, horses just steal minecart's thunder. Something like constantly needing horseshoes or feeding/watering. Then again, rail systems aren't perfect either. When was the last time anyone used a furnace cart....
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

It looks like you need at least 2.5-meter-high ceilings to mount a horse without taking suffocation damage. Hopefully this will make use of horse troublesome in areas with lots of trees like forests, taiga, jungles, and maybe swamps. Horses would probably work best in plains, desserts, ice plains, and maybe extreme hills.

The leads make it really easy to round up a bunch of animals and take them back to your base (or where ever). When luring animals with wheat, carrots, or seeds, you can only lure 1 or 2 types of animals at once, and you have to travel slowly. With leads, you can transport many animals of different types all at once, and you can run at full speed while doing so.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

jecowa wrote:It looks like you need at least 2.5-meter-high ceilings to mount a horse without taking suffocation damage. Hopefully this will make use of horse troublesome in areas with lots of trees like forests, taiga, jungles, and maybe swamps. Horses would probably work best in plains, desserts, ice plains, and maybe extreme hills.

The leads make it really easy to round up a bunch of animals and take them back to your base (or where ever). When luring animals with wheat, carrots, or seeds, you can only lure 1 or 2 types of animals at once, and you have to travel slowly. With leads, you can transport many animals of different types all at once, and you can run at full speed while doing so.
That's so overpowered, It basically takes away any disadvantage of luring animals.

eternal8phoenix wrote:
ScubaPlays wrote:Would horses need to be as effective as rails? I always figured they'd be considered a slightly better way to explore where as rails are great for base hopping.
This is the problem. Horses need to have a big enough downside to them to make rails a preferable route over a known area, so that both have their own places. As it is, horses just steal minecart's thunder. Something like constantly needing horseshoes or feeding/watering. Then again, rail systems aren't perfect either. When was the last time anyone used a furnace cart....
never, becuase they are so fussy and don't work right. Rails have so much potential, It's sad to see them so underused and under-developed. I tried to use them, but the way you feed coal into them is a little dumb. I'm surprised that they don't have a GUI, considering all the things that do.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Maybe leads would be better if the player could only lead one animal at a time, and the player wasn't able to drag the animal along at full speed. The animal is pretty heavy, Steve shouldn't be able to just drag the animals along, the tethered animals should prevent Steve from moving too far away if he goes too fast - like an anchor.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Mikko_blu wrote: I'm surprised that they don't have a GUI, considering all the things that do.
This pretty well illustrates the issue with Mojang these days. They add a GUI to horses but not to furnace minecarts when all they would have to do is reuse the one already existing for furnaces. They ignore previously implemented features that they could easily improve on and instead add in hard-to-implement new features that will inevitably be more buggy and annoying than the previous ideas and become a massive time sink for development. Just look at how long they've already spent implementing horses! The amount of time wasted here may end up putting wolves to shame.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Mikko_blu, on powered minecarts wrote: never, becuase they are so fussy and don't work right. Rails have so much potential, It's sad to see them so underused and under-developed. I tried to use them, but the way you feed coal into them is a little dumb. I'm surprised that they don't have a GUI, considering all the things that do.
I really don't think that having a gui would help very much, as really the only thing it would indicate is the remaining burn time of the fuel already inside. What the powered minecart instead needs, imo, is some sort of visual indicator of the remaining burn time, perhaps by adjusting the amount of smoke produced, or by altering the texture slightly to show more or less "fire."

On a similar note, I think the powered minecart would have been a good deal better in vMC if they had implemented variable push strength based on the fuel inside. That way you could make the minecart go faster and up hills better by simply putting more fuel in.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

What the furnace cart needs is to simply be removed from the game. It's an outdated concept/failed experiment from an earlier stage of development that was effectively replaced by powered rails.

Solutions to make it anything other than that inevitably involve a shit-ton of work, and would *still* likely just result in people using powered rails instead. I'd say just let it die guys.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Just noticed that Mojang also added in more poorly-implemented unique sounds for mules, donkeys, zombie horses, and skeleton horses. zombie and skeleton horses now have half-way finished GUIs also (yeah, more useless GUIs).
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

They're still useful for ad-hoc rail systems; temporary villager transport for example (see etho).

Though the few uses that exist for the in vanilla are all pointless or replaced in BTW, so we're going to be bias against them.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Vexalor wrote:(yeah, more useless GUIs)
A note for Mojang.

The more time players spend in fancied up menus and GUIs is less time we spend actually y'know...playing the game.

This is a game about blocks in a blocky world where the fun comes from blocks in the blocky world interacting or being used in building with other blocky blocks. Not a crafting table game/GUI game, leave that to redpower.

I'm actually tempted to create a twitter just to send that to the powers that be, because it seems thats how companies do PR now or something?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, there you go: Why Minecraft development is currently in the state it is...

Yup, that's Dinnerbone playing. Yup, he obviously doesn't know what he's doing. Yup, this is the same guy that seems to have fairly free rein in designing new features.

Yup...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Did I just hear him say that he thinks that wool should be a source of string?
Better is the enemy of Good
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

FlowerChild wrote:...

There are so many things I could say about this video of Dinnerbone's, so many things... but, for once, I am at a loss for words. I don't even think I can bring myself to give my speech about how it's usually a good thing if developers PLAY THEIR OWN DAMN GAME INSTEAD OF A HEAVILY MODIFIED VERSION OF IT.

Possibly my favorite quote from the video (I'm still currently watching):
Dinnerbone wrote:Let's see, I shouldn't go after those sheep because it will only give me wool, and you can't craft wool into spider silk. Wow, you know somebody should really change that.
Really, developer of game? Someone should change something? In your game? I wonder who? (Not to mention the terribleness of that idea anyways).

EDIT: Okay, just finished; not sure why he put a reversed version of the video at the end, but oh well. I just checked out his other four videos. One is on tripwires, and three are Bukkit tutorials. I still have no words except: Dear God! His playstyle, it burns! Now if only we could get him to play BTW...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vexalor wrote:Now if only we could get him to play BTW...
I somehow doubt he'd survive the first night man :)
Six

Post by Six »

I like how it is titled 'Warranted Fear'.
warmist

Post by warmist »

Damn i would love to see UHC with BTW. The screams of poor players that will die from all the Better Than Wolves features would fuel me for months
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Six wrote:I like how it is titled 'Warranted Fear'.

You haven't had "warranted Fear" until you've been in a room by yourself, playing BTW, stuck in a dirt hole, with a pack of howling wolfs outside.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Vexalor wrote:
Dinnerbone wrote:Let's see, I shouldn't go after those sheep because it will only give me wool, and you can't craft wool into spider silk. Wow, you know somebody should really change that.

Crafting wool into silk comes to mind before sheep being made of meat?

k.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Crafting wool into silk comes to mind before sheep being made of meat?

k.
Hey man! With those bow strings made out of yarn you could kill yourself some pigs for food, or choke some chickens with a wooly garrote!