Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BlueRavenGT

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by BlueRavenGT »

Vexalor wrote: Mojang appears to be nerfing the interesting behavior of leads/leashes where they would break if they were stretched too far because people wanted to ride horse attached to fence posts, and riding a horse this way would cause the lead to break.
Horses breaking leads which are attached to fences only while the player is riding them isn't very consistent. I like to think that the rope itself is fairly strong and that the player loses their grip when they move too fast.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Leads would be nice to separate a single vict... ahem member of a flock of sheep or what have you without attracting the rest of them like you do with wheat or in BTW tall grass. Not sure how I feel about this, can't tell if its simply a nice feature, or convenience for the sake of it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I honestly haven't considered leads much beyond thinking of the comic potential of suspending animals as bait for other mobs.

We'll see. I'm still largely ignoring these features until it gets closer to release, which as far as I know, could still be months off. That video today just gave me a huge 'wtf?' moment when I realized what I thought must be a joke vid, obviously wasn't.

I really need to keep my head out of that shit though. I wind up just getting pissed off and distracted over something that's becoming increasingly irrelevant to my future development. Old habits die hard I guess. After two years of this I still find myself getting reflexively frustrated when they expand into new realms of stunning mediocrity.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Many people are not liking the villager sounds on vMC
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mikko_blu wrote:Many people are not liking the villager sounds on vMC
Odd...on twitter and youtube I seem to be in the minority. Glad to hear there's still some "wtf?" going on out there.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

FlowerChild wrote:
Mikko_blu wrote:Many people are not liking the villager sounds on vMC
Odd...on twitter and youtube I seem to be in the minority. Glad to hear there's still some "wtf?" going on out there.
Yeah, quite a few people on the snapshot thread on MCF said they don't like it. I was suprised. I was expecting to see "Omgggg diamonds 4 u " but instead found "I don't really like them."

Ha, i just saw this on the snapshot release thread

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I don't know man, there is one certain btw added behavior of villagers these new noises would be perfect for...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's times like this that I remember Lil Avii requires forge now for her mod and feel very sad. That girl managed to do them almost completely right while adding a few really useful features. Like letting your cats ride around on your draft team.
Better is the enemy of Good
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

DaveYanakov wrote:I am also completely apart from the art skills required for new mobs, that said, if someone who did have those skills wanted to see horses put back in as a balanced mechanic that lives somewhere outside of the uncanny valley, I think we could put together a Better Than Horses add on team.
I would be interested in helping with this. I made a model, but I haven't finished the texture stuff for it.
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

I would be interested in helping with this. I made a model, but I haven't finished the texture stuff for it.
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
This model of horses looks much better, or fits in better with the other mobs, I think. Good job!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

jecowa wrote: I would be interested in helping with this. I made a model, but I haven't finished the texture stuff for it.
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
That does look quite good. You may want to try moving the rear legs back by one pixel width so they jut slightly past the rear of the body but in the end it would be up to you. I'll start rounding people up.
Better is the enemy of Good
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

DaveYanakov wrote:
jecowa wrote: I would be interested in helping with this. I made a model, but I haven't finished the texture stuff for it.
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
That does look quite good. You may want to try moving the rear legs back by one pixel width so they jut slightly past the rear of the body but in the end it would be up to you. I'll start rounding people up.
I made a donkey model, but I don't know how to embed an image
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

You don't you put it on an image hosting site and then put the link they gave you in a post using the Img tag.

Please take further discussion about any such addon out of this thread though as it's very off topic.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm kinda saddened that DB's response to complaints about the new sounds is essentially "You can turn the sound down, or mod them out".

Our small diamond-grown villages would be annoying with those sounds. I feel for the vMC players who have massively overpopulated ones :/
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
devak

Post by devak »

Stormweaver wrote:I feel for the vMC players who have massively overpopulated ones :/
What, that their villages sound like a gangbang is going on?
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

BlueRavenGT wrote: Horses breaking leads which are attached to fences only while the player is riding them isn't very consistent. I like to think that the rope itself is fairly strong and that the player loses their grip when they move too fast.
Oops, you're right. I wasn't thinking when I posted that. If that was really the only thing that could cause them to break, then little was lost with that removal. I was under the impression that other conditions could bring on their breakage, but, thinking about it, that wouldn't make the least bit of sense considering the use of leads. Oh well. Thanks for calling me out on that one.
Slstoev

Post by Slstoev »

Firstly, hi.

The only use for horses I was thinking about are making glue... and cheap and dung/dirt creating way for mechanical power in BTW.

And on-topic about the opinions for horses - mediocre, unoriginal, unoriginal implementation and most of all - is that the best they can do?
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Slstoev wrote:Firstly, hi.

The only use for horses I was thinking about are making glue... and cheap and dung/dirt creating way for mechanical power in BTW.

And on-topic about the opinions for horses - mediocre, unoriginal, unoriginal implementation and most of all - is that the best they can do?

I've always felt that adding more mobs to make game-play better isn't the best course. There should be more game play surrounding the current mobs, as seen in BTW. I'm more than happy with the mobs in Minecraft and BTW now, because they are all unique. Before i found BTW, i felt that the solution to the boring animals problem was just to add more, instead of improve pre-exisiting.

It's times like this that i take a step back and compare how Flowerchild does things, and how vMC does things. And time and time again, Flowerchild has proven that his way is better, both for game-play, and the feeling of achievement.
Slstoev

Post by Slstoev »

Mikko_blu wrote:I've always felt that adding more mobs to make game-play better isn't the best course. There should be more game play surrounding the current mobs, as seen in BTW. I'm more than happy with the mobs in Minecraft and BTW now, because they are all unique. Before i found BTW, i felt that the solution to the boring animals problem was just to add more, instead of improve pre-exisiting.

It's times like this that i take a step back and compare how Flowerchild does things, and how vMC does things. And time and time again, Flowerchild has proven that his way is better, both for game-play, and the feeling of achievement.
I do agree with making pre-existing mobs better BUT come on, FC wouldn't want to add new mobs and the way you put it he won't. But the way I see it is if MC in general would become dull if you always have the same old mobs. For example take Pokémon - it wouldn't be as popular as it is today if new Pokémon weren't constantly added.

And besides if vMC gets old and stops being played where will we get new players who would want to play BTW? ;)
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

Slstoev wrote:But the way I see it is if MC in general would become dull if you always have the same old mobs. For example take Pokémon - it wouldn't be as popular as it is today if new Pokémon weren't constantly added.
Minecraft's entertainment factor doesn't derive from the variety mobs within the game it is the sand box and your creativity that make it fun. I don't see MC becoming dull purely based on having no new mobs implemented.

The problem I see with vMC is that they keep adding new features that overwrite existing game play and make it obsolete. Take powered rail replacing powered mine-carts (which I personally thought had so much potential if implemented right) now we have horses will rail become entirely useless or perhaps limited to item transportation (in a vMC sense)?
Slstoev

Post by Slstoev »

Personally I know FC will nerf the speed of horses and implement them in a way we won't see coming yet it would make a lot of sense so I'm not worried.

Horses are a new feature which is just that - a feature. And you can choose not to use it. I agree with your point though. I see vMC as an engine for making adventure maps and a "blank slate" for mods at the moment which is why MC modding and map making are thriving. And I think that most people here are seeing vMC that way now.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Actually, FC is just ripping out horses in general. It just isn't worth the effort he would have to put in.
Also, I advise that you don't use the argument "if you don't like them don't use them" it is very frowned upon on these forums
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Pucc wrote: Minecraft's entertainment factor doesn't derive from the variety mobs within the game it is the sand box and your creativity that make it fun. I don't see MC becoming dull purely based on having no new mobs implemented.

The problem I see with vMC is that they keep adding new features that overwrite existing game play and make it obsolete. Take powered rail replacing powered mine-carts (which I personally thought had so much potential if implemented right) now we have horses will rail become entirely useless or perhaps limited to item transportation (in a vMC sense)?
Definitely agree with this, although I still feel more mobs may not necessarily be a bad thing with planning and moderation.
Horses had a lot of potential which has been wasted by Mojang. I believe they use apples to tame them, (or at least they should) providing a use for an undervalued material in vMC ( because who actually uses golden apples?). As a steed, they would be great for exploring huge areas fast, but they do take away any real reason to make a railway because consequences weren't thought of. As a method of transporting goods around they've got a different use to chest carts, serving as a mobile inventory extension, and therefore something to protect from creepers. Of course, they're too fast for creepers to be much of a worry unless tethered. I personally would consider chest carts as something for more permanent bases, like taking the output of a wheat or sugarcane farm to a central storage facility, whereas the pack mule is for taking stuff away from home.

Horses could have been great for MC. As it is, they're just scary looking and overpowered.

I'd say that it's not the new mob that's the problem. It's not considering it's niche in the game. I mean I'd love to see some underwater mobs or something. I have no real reason to fear the ocean or even care that it's there. But if there were giant steve-eating jelly-creepers then suddenly oceans are a lot cooler. Throw in some kelp or something for it to hide in and the oceans now look a lot better too. You could probably get away with that because the oceans are a largely unexploited niche in MC. The plains are kinda over-exploited. You can usually find everything you need there, so you're set for life in 5 minutes.

So yeah, bit of a rant of a tangent there but I honestly don't think horses were in and of themselves a bad idea. They were a good idea made bad by lack of forethought.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

eternal8phoenix wrote: Definitely agree with this, although I still feel more mobs may not necessarily be a bad thing with planning and moderation.
Horses had a lot of potential which has been wasted by Mojang. I believe they use apples to tame them, (or at least they should) providing a use for an undervalued material in vMC ( because who actually uses golden apples?). As a steed, they would be great for exploring huge areas fast, but they do take away any real reason to make a railway because consequences weren't thought of. As a method of transporting goods around they've got a different use to chest carts, serving as a mobile inventory extension, and therefore something to protect from creepers. Of course, they're too fast for creepers to be much of a worry unless tethered. I personally would consider chest carts as something for more permanent bases, like taking the output of a wheat or sugarcane farm to a central storage facility, whereas the pack mule is for taking stuff away from home.

Horses could have been great for MC. As it is, they're just scary looking and overpowered.

I'd say that it's not the new mob that's the problem. It's not considering it's niche in the game. I mean I'd love to see some underwater mobs or something. I have no real reason to fear the ocean or even care that it's there. But if there were giant steve-eating jelly-creepers then suddenly oceans are a lot cooler. Throw in some kelp or something for it to hide in and the oceans now look a lot better too. You could probably get away with that because the oceans are a largely unexploited niche in MC. The plains are kinda over-exploited. You can usually find everything you need there, so you're set for life in 5 minutes.

So yeah, bit of a rant of a tangent there but I honestly don't think horses were in and of themselves a bad idea. They were a good idea made bad by lack of forethought.
And there you have it, your first paragraph very clearly displays the lack of challenge regarding horses. Creepers explode *for a reason* and that reason being is to avoid them. Also, creepers can already be repelled by use of a Cat, so now there is yet another way to make a mob intended for gameplay even easier to avoid.

The fact that they only use apples is very overpowered. Rails are tedious and hard to make, but they offer high speed transport of items and the player in the end. Now, all you need for that is an apple. As someone who loves to make rails, there isn't a real way to balance that.

High speed exploration? Make some Speed II potions. Mobile storage? Ender chests.

In terms of game play and difficulty, Horses are diminishing both of them.

Slstoev wrote:
Mikko_blu wrote:I've always felt that adding more mobs to make game-play better isn't the best course. There should be more game play surrounding the current mobs, as seen in BTW. I'm more than happy with the mobs in Minecraft and BTW now, because they are all unique. Before i found BTW, i felt that the solution to the boring animals problem was just to add more, instead of improve pre-exisiting.

I do agree with making pre-existing mobs better BUT come on, FC wouldn't want to add new mobs and the way you put it he won't. But the way I see it is if MC in general would become dull if you always have the same old mobs. For example take Pokémon - it wouldn't be as popular as it is today if new Pokémon weren't constantly added.

And besides if vMC gets old and stops being played where will we get new players who would want to play BTW? ;)
but why would having more mobs make that better? You would rather have quantity over quality?
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Mikko_blu wrote: And there you have it, your first paragraph very clearly displays the lack of challenge regarding horses. Creepers explode *for a reason* and that reason being is to avoid them. Also, creepers can already be repelled by use of a Cat, so now there is yet another way to make a mob intended for gameplay even easier to avoid.

The fact that they only use apples is very overpowered. Rails are tedious and hard to make, but they offer high speed transport of items and the player in the end. Now, all you need for that is an apple. As someone who loves to make rails, there isn't a real way to balance that.

High speed exploration? Make some Speed II potions. Mobile storage? Ender chests.

In terms of game play and difficulty, Horses are diminishing both of them.
Maybe I'm an atypical player, but I've never really used the potions so the thought of them for high speed exploration never occurred to me. Even so, I understand not wanting more mush in the game, I just feel that horses could have been more than mush if Mojang had done them well.

Rail networks should obviously reap more rewards than the horse methods but I feel that horses could be the early to mid-game alternative. If there was some cost associated with the use of horses that wasn't there with carts it could balance, such as needing an apple on a stick, or panicking and running uncontrollably in any direction when they see a mob. The mules should certainly carry less than a chest cart and shouldn't take passengers as well. You also never have to worry about a cart being shot and killed, unlike the horse. There are small ways that COULD have balanced it better, but they were ignored.

So I guess as Mojang and Dr Zhark made them, they are just so much mush. I just wish that they weren't.