Mining Methods

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
SterlingRed

Mining Methods

Post by SterlingRed »

I was asked on a different topic how I mine for stuff and I've seen that crop up now and then on the forums. Plus with the recent discovery by FC which shocked myself as well, that apparently before his recent changes some people were still mining with stone pickaxes thinking it saved resources. (This is wrong, even in vanilla).

Ore distribution is even. Most people want to be mining in the diamond layers and Layers 12-14 are pretty standard to be used for this. Layer 12 is where most lava pools spawn, thus the logic in mining at that level or above is to avoid lava constantly falling on your head. Plus breaking out into an open area above lava pools shows more exposed stone than you would see simply by digging a shaft in a straight line through solid stone. The reason for the 14 level cap is because diamonds go up to layer 16. Thus if layer 14 is the layer you're standing on, then you're body is occupying layers 15 and 16. Mining above there you're wasting time by mining half outside the diamond layer.

Now with all that out of the way, the 'best' mining method with those constraints is mostly about trying to maximize the amount of stone you're exposing in a set amount of time. The easiest way to do this, is to not waste time you're in the mines by walking up and down your halways as you get to your next branch. All that walking around down there is just eating up time you could be chewing through blocks with a pickaxe. So in order to minimize the time you're wandering around, your mine system needs to be compact. People tend to create a single 'central' tunnel extending in one direction and build short branches back and forth off of that. But they forget, there are 4 directions you can be mining in! Why waste all that time going in a straight line? Ultimately you'll have to walk all the way back!
Some time ago, I came across http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/285 ... dable-v02/ on the mcf forums. This is the method I personally use. The link explains how it works better than I can.
Over time, this is what the mine starts looking like. This is a rendering of one of the layers of a mine in one of my ssp worlds.
Spoiler
Show
After you've gotten into the mid/late game you need to start thinking about maximizing the yield you get from redstone/quartz/lapiz/diamonds/emeralds/coal/glowstone. If you have a fortune pickaxe use it on those ores and only those ores (no sense in wasting fortune mining stone). If you don't have a fortune pickaxe, but don't need all the resources right away that you're mining, use silk touch and save the ore blocks until you do have fortune. If you want to save inventory space while mining, mine with silk touch and remine the ores later with fortune. You can build a simple machine using a detector and a block dispenser to place blocks you've mined with silk touch for you to mine again.

I can add more mining methods to this main post if you've got something you use and works well.
CycloneSP

Re: Mining Methods

Post by CycloneSP »

Thx for the info man. I never thought of using that style before. I've just been digging out a 3x3 tunnel with branching paths every 2 blocks.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Interesting method there Sterling, might have to try that on any new mines I happen to make.

What I have been doing for a while is creating 3x3 halls in a grid pattern with 5x5 rooms every so often. From the 3x3 halls I would have branching paths every 3 blocks (because you are unlikely to find a ore patch that is 1 wide). I also typically mine at layer 13? (I think) so that I have 1 block between me and any lava, and also so that I have access to diamond spawning layers all around me (at my feet, the two blocks I'm mining, and above my head). Here's a rough example pic of what my mine looks like:
Spoiler
Show
This is just a rough sketch I drew up in paint, in the actual mineshaft there is more room between the 'nodes'.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Aah, not this Phoenix mining business again...

I don't worry about efficiency with strip mines any more. As far as I care, there is no best solution; there are only people who think they have found it.

So I just stopped caring and started mining in a grid of 5x5 or 6x6 squares.

My issue with Phoenix mining thing is that, despite boasting incredible efficiency, you are really wasting a great deal of time walking by tiles that are unlikely to contain anything, because you already saw and mined any veins that were in the adjacent row on your last pass (how often do you walk by previously mined or cobbled up walls in your Phoenix mine?). Simply put, going by every single block is a huge waste of time when they're always in veins that span multiple rows.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Looks like a cool system, but I'm really doubtful about the diamond efficiency at level 14. From all that I've read, 14 yields way worse results in terms of diamonds than level 10. I do love the almost fractal nature of it. I'll have to play around with it.
ExpHP wrote:My issue with Phoenix mining thing is that, despite boasting incredible efficiency, you are really wasting a great deal of time walking by tiles that are unlikely to contain anything, because you already saw and mined any veins that were in the adjacent row on your last pass (how often do you walk by previously mined or cobbled up walls in your Phoenix mine?). Simply put, going by every single block is a huge waste of time when they're always in veins that span multiple rows.
1) If you increase the size between two paths from two to three or four, that problem is fixed
2) I can mathematically prove to you that you are wrong anyway
3) I don't even need to, because the time gain from mining fractally is always significant enough that encountering cobble walls is a very small time loss compared to the gain
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

I saw a decent mathematical analysis of this once, and have ever since been doing branch mining with 5 blocks between shafts. The way I see it, it's not really about getting all the ore, but about the least stone mined per ore. And increasing the distance between branches actually reduces the amount of stone you need to mine for each ore block you find. Might try to mod the phoenix method to increase the space between branches - I am getting fed up with running forever to get back to my stairs to the surface :)

EDIT: Found the analysis I mentioned: http://www.voxelwiki.com/minecraft/Elit ... _The_Miner
Last edited by Elensaar on Fri May 24, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of planets have a north...!
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I'd like to add that if you're short of a Silk Touch pick, a Block Dispenser will serve the same function.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Elensaar wrote:I saw a decent mathematical analysis of this once, and have ever since been doing branch mining with 5 blocks between shafts.
Seems like the method mentioned in the OP, with 5 blocks in between will be perfect then. For the OCD people, 2 in between. If you go back later and dig looking holes every few blocks, you can even pick up the odd leftover if you really want to.
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

so this is the way i mine
Spoiler
Show
the main tunnel is 3*3 and 43 long then it breech, the side tunes are 20 long and 3 high
and i mine at layer 10
btw how do you all use mining charges in miming? or you do not use then at all?
i use then to dug the main tunnel.
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I generally skip the mining charges. The one place I use them is in rapid excavation of subterranean rooms where you can smack a load of them against a wall and blow out the entire thing. See also; skylights, survey shafts
Better is the enemy of Good
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

DNoved1 wrote:Interesting method there Sterling, might have to try that on any new mines I happen to make.

What I have been doing for a while is creating 3x3 halls in a grid pattern with 5x5 rooms every so often. From the 3x3 halls I would have branching paths every 3 blocks (because you are unlikely to find a ore patch that is 1 wide). I also typically mine at layer 13? (I think) so that I have 1 block between me and any lava, and also so that I have access to diamond spawning layers all around me (at my feet, the two blocks I'm mining, and above my head). Here's a rough example pic of what my mine looks like:
Spoiler
Show
This is just a rough sketch I drew up in paint, in the actual mineshaft there is more room between the 'nodes'.
This is pretty much what I use, but with all 2x2 tunnels and no rooms. I find that I don't spend too much time walking, as there is always the cross-paths (every 24 blocks for me).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I do a 5 block spaced pheonix mine that intersects at corners (I really hate counting stuff, not really sure how you did that, but I dig out diagonal guide shafts) once I'm tired of mining I just find the center and shoot a line through it. I honestly hate it when people do those centipede mine things, so illogical.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Panda

Post by Panda »

This is what my shaft usually looks like:
Spoiler
Show
Its alittle weird but it gets the job done
Never say no to Panda.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Panda wrote:This is what my shaft usually looks like:
That's what she said. Oh, wait... Eww..
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

This is how I mine. I make mining "branches" with three blocks in between each branch. Then I mine for a random distance away from the main shaft, then I make another branch and mine back. Sometimes I get low on pick uses or start to get low on inventory space, so I mine into an adjacent branch and go back to base to empty my inventory and get a fresh pick.
branch mining
Show
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

I decided to go the simplest way:
2x1 central corridor with more 2x1 branching tunnels separated by two blocks between them.
Side view of the branch tunnels:
Spoiler
Show
Top view of one floor:
Spoiler
Show
Exposes almost every stone and pretty much every vein you get close to, no need for complex math and measuring your distance, you just need to know how to count to 3.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

I haven't done any branch mining since late beta- it gets kinda tedious after a while, now I dig tunnels every 16 or 32 blocks to find caves and explore them. (which in turn boosts mob-trap output)
Spoiler
Show
I also don't stop for anything, nothing like looking back on a road you hacked through the raw earth.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Word. The most efficient branch mine is to dig a perimeter around the spawn radius of your mob trap, then start digging tunnels between the walls to find all the caves.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DaveYanakov wrote:Word. The most efficient branch mine is to dig a perimeter around the spawn radius of your mob trap, then start digging tunnels between the walls to find all the caves.
That's very interesting. How do you figure out the perimeter without F3?

I guess I could think of a cool mob trap / mineshaft combo actually.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Careful surveying. All that string output has to go somewhere, doncha know.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DaveYanakov wrote:Careful surveying. All that string output has to go somewhere, doncha know.
I always forget I can use string that way.