Flower's Dev Diary (Week of April 29th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Roger.King

Bug Report

Post by Roger.King »

Hi, I just didnt see a better place to post a bug that I found playing BTW. (sorry)

When the bug happens it removes the ability to swim upwards. When that happens the only option is to jump from bottom until you could manage to get some breath. It happened some times and all of then were related to boat using (attacked by mob on boat, entering in a misplaced (half water, half land) boat and such..

Sorry if there is a better place to post this. Would appreciate to know where.

Ive really appreciated the great work done on BTW.

Thanks,
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of April 29th)

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah...in case there is any doubt, the above poster is no longer with us for a wide range of reasons all related to Rule #1 :)
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

God Flowerchild dang it.. how hard is it to see the bug report section?...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Or to realize when something is a feature rather than a bug.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

FlowerChild wrote:Or to realize when something is a feature rather than a bug.
Err... what feature is this? I don't remember any changes to boats that could cause this.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Let's drop it. It's off topic, and your confusion is stemming from misreading the guy's post, which was poorly worded to begin with.

Are there features related to sinking in water in BTW? Yes. It's pretty clear he was just misinterpreting why it was happening and thought it had something to do with boats.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok...I am somehow beginning to doubt that the next release will finalize the difficulty of the early game as I had planned.

In my ongoing trend of "hardcore all the things", I think I have something rather special coming here. Something I intended as a small tweak has kinda spiraled into a full blown feature, and I'm really liking the results. I've had chills run down my spine a couple of times over the past couple of days.

Anyways, just wanted to provide a head's up about the above, and share a bit of my excitement :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Still working on that sweater huh? ;)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

*gets tinfoil hat*

O.o What could it beeeeeee? Dang it FC, why do you have to be so good at getting us excited and stoked for your releases?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

CycloneSP wrote:Dang it FC, why do you have to be so good at getting us excited and stoked for your releases?
Pun intended? Or not?
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Still working on that sweater huh? ;)
Hehe...no, this *is* something I had planned as a series of unrelated features that kinda came together into a cohesive whole this week.

They don't all affect early game difficulty though (some definitely do), so while it's a bit of a tangent from my immediate goal, it isn't one from my overall goal of finalizing BTW. A few things just got bumped up in priority ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That sounds... Very mysterious... Any hints on what it is? :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:That sounds... Very mysterious... Any hints on what it is? :D
Hmmm...I actually did already release a hint for this a looooooong time ago, in the video where I was waving goodbye to my world and where people caught a first glimpse of "the device".

And no, it isn't the device itself...that comes later :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

But that video is gone!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...I'll *temporarily* unblock it for the sake of conversation...

Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hmm... Well I'm not seeing it at all. Maybe someone smarter than me will find something. :)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

I noticed that you had beds at both ends of the railroad despite their inherent uselessness, and I felt really clever.

...and then I checked the date.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

The only strange thing that I can see is the cobblestone covering the chest next to the device. But that probably has nothing to do with the actual hint.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ExpHP wrote:...and then I checked the date.
Hehe...yes, back then I was still oblivious (well, not entirely...I still hated them, I just hadn't grown the balls necessary to rip them out yet) to how I was cheating and ruining my own game experience through using beds ;)

Referencing my most recent post on MCF there. I think I finally may have found a way to express my thoughts on beds in a way that gets through to the masses. Beds are cheating. That's all that really needs to be said, and I do believe that will be my defacto response to people objecting to their removal from now on.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Just looking at the first comment and wondering if it is the redstone integration in lever and button recipes. Though that has nothign specific to do with waving goodbye. It certainly wouldn't be early game though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Just looking at the first comment and wondering if it is the redstone integration in lever and button recipes. Though that has nothign specific to do with waving goodbye. It certainly wouldn't be early game though.
Well that is somewhat early game (especially now that secure doors are a little more of a consideration), and something that many of you know I've been planning for awhile, but no, that's not it.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

He kneels at the grave of his old friend Dingleberry. He hops in a Minecart to begin his journey to spawn. On the way he waves "goodbye" to each build he passes by. He arrives at spawn, walks to the device, unequips all his armor, and places the entire contents of his inventory into a double chest - his armor, weapons, arrows, tools, compass, blocks, torches, potions, and food. For most journeys, one would want to take plenty of supplies, but where ever he is going, he will not be needing them.

Will we be traveling to spawn in the next update?
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

FlowerChild wrote:Referencing my most recent post on MCF there.
Oh, bejeebus, people are still up in arms about that over there? Then again, I suppose that's why I haven't bothered to visit it lately...

I see plenty of interesting-looking constructions (including one underwater; don't blink or you'll miss it!)... but as I doubt they'd be built before their pertinent features were added, I'm still stumped.

@jecowa: You're noticing a hint about Home that flew by most of us when that video was first shown. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ExpHP wrote: Oh, bejeebus, people are still up in arms about that over there? Then again, I suppose that's why I haven't bothered to visit it lately...
Hehe...I can sum up pretty much all the posts there as alternating back and forth about bitching about Forge compatability, and bitching about beds. When one gets thoroughly debunked, someone pops in switching it back to the other again, and the circle of life continues...

Oh yeah, and occasionally someone throws in an update pester, but the mods rapidly delete those.

Every once in a small while though, it winds up that I look at things in a slightly different way and come up with an argument that further solidifies my stance on a subject, which is what happened today with the "beds are just legitimized cheating" thing. Really, that's a whole new way of looking at aspects of game design for me, which I think I've known instinctively for a long time, but which never quite crystalized for me quite so concisely.
Shadynate

Post by Shadynate »

Dude really, the Forge api is full of drama which I think is ruining the whole minecraft community.

I call it the Diva API because of how bitchy the people are.