Forged a Nether portal

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Fret

Forged a Nether portal

Post by Fret »

So, I have never liked diamond tools and armour. Thus in my new world (4.80) I have decided to not use them. Biggest challenge was the nether portal. Was a though one, but I did it :) Forging one in the deepest strati of the overworld with lava and water.

http://joeridobbelaar.imgur.com/all/
duartemad

Re: Forged a Nether portal

Post by duartemad »

wow nice going with it man! I might do the same, no diamond tools next time I play
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

Looks neat, and quite difficult, even if I'm not really able to tell what is actually going on there. Good on you!
Fret

Post by Fret »

Kaitocain wrote:Looks neat, and quite difficult, even if I'm not really able to tell what is actually going on there. Good on you!
Well, I used a lava pool big enough to fit a portal in. Then isolated lava blocks with glass in a frame the same shape as a portal has. Last I just had to pour water over it to turn it into obsidian.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Very cool. I'd done this a few times in vMC but never attempted it in BTW. Thanks for providing the motivation to finally try it.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Very nice. I'd think a lava pool deep enough to cast a portal frame from is not common. Props for doing it.

Besides glass, cobble walls also work for such things, if you can spare the cobble for them.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

Props man. Nice bonus is that portal looks bad-A surrounded by lava. Makes it's truly look like a gate to Hell.
SubparFiddle

Post by SubparFiddle »

So cool. Part of me wishes that this was the only way to do it!
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

I must say, good job. While it has always been possible, there has never been any really incentive to do so before just recently. Well aside from the "look wut I dun" feeling.

That being said. While it would be interesting if this were the only way to make a portal, I feel that it is far less intuitive and a lot of newer players to both vMC and BTW would not catch on, and it could possibly be overly difficult to figure out how to do it right. I'm not saying the mechanic for doing so isn't cool. But it makes constructing a portal a lot more situational and it would be hard to put the portal where you want it, which is usually near your base.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

CycloneSP wrote:While it would be interesting if this were the only way to make a portal, I feel that it is far less intuitive and a lot of newer players to both vMC and BTW would not catch on, and it could possibly be overly difficult to figure out how to do it right. I'm not saying the mechanic for doing so isn't cool. But it makes constructing a portal a lot more situational and it would be hard to put the portal where you want it, which is usually near your base.
I would add that it also makes it difficult to use the Nether for navigation, since you can't easily choose where to place a portal. Although, there's plenty of lava in the Nether so it should be simple enough to create one anywhere in the Nether -- if you manage not to die in the process of blocking out the lava :)
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

jkievlan wrote:
CycloneSP wrote:While it would be interesting if this were the only way to make a portal, I feel that it is far less intuitive and a lot of newer players to both vMC and BTW would not catch on, and it could possibly be overly difficult to figure out how to do it right. I'm not saying the mechanic for doing so isn't cool. But it makes constructing a portal a lot more situational and it would be hard to put the portal where you want it, which is usually near your base.
I would add that it also makes it difficult to use the Nether for navigation, since you can't easily choose where to place a portal. Although, there's plenty of lava in the Nether so it should be simple enough to create one anywhere in the Nether -- if you manage not to die in the process of blocking out the lava :)
but there's also the fact that you can't make obsidian in the nether, as you need water
Fret

Post by Fret »

Thanks for all the positive responses guys!
DiamondArms wrote:Very nice. I'd think a lava pool deep enough to cast a portal frame from is not common. Props for doing it.

Besides glass, cobble walls also work for such things, if you can spare the cobble for them.
Yeah this was actually my second try, first one failed because of a too shallow lava lake. I used glass instead of cobble or another block, because it allowed me to see where the source blocks were.
SubparFiddle wrote:So cool. Part of me wishes that this was the only way to do it!
CycloneSP wrote:I must say, good job. While it has always been possible, there has never been any really incentive to do so before just recently. Well aside from the "look wut I dun" feeling.
That being said. While it would be interesting if this were the only way to make a portal, I feel that it is far less intuitive and a lot of newer players to both vMC and BTW would not catch on, and it could possibly be overly difficult to figure out how to do it right. I'm not saying the mechanic for doing so isn't cool. But it makes constructing a portal a lot more situational and it would be hard to put the portal where you want it, which is usually near your base.
Yeah, would probably be a bit too harsh for newer players. I used it as a personal hardcore rule. Although I really like the results. The portal is harder to acquire because of mobs and lava. And the thing I like most is the need for infrastructure it has given me. With diamond pickaxe you can just place your first portal in your base. Mine is a little outside my base, the trip to it is now a bit risky. Need to build a road and a stairwell to make it a save trip. Also the portal spawns in the nether on the lowest levels as well, so I will need to build/mine more there as well.
EDIT: Oh forgot to type this; Considering the above, I strongly advice "experienced" BTW players using the no diamond tools/armour rule in a new world.
jkievlan wrote:

How were you planning on getting water in the nether? :D Also I still allow myself to use sfs, so with this one I can reach the nether, thus get sfs, thus build new protals wherever I want.
Last edited by Fret on Mon May 20, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Fret wrote:How were you planning on getting water in the nether? :D Also I still allow myself to use sfs, so with this one I can reach the nether, thus get sfs, thus build new protals wherever I want.
Both good points. Lol when I posted that I forgot you couldn't bring water into the nether. And you're right, sfs will do the trick. And if I didn't mention it before, very nicely done :)