Flower's Dev Diary (Week of April 29th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of April 29th)

Post by Sarudak »

Mob aggro on sprinting would have been my guess too...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:Also, the variable for the player in a large portion of MCP is p. I don't think that It is the player that it's referring to here
Huh? We obviously don't use the same MCP then :)

In two years of modding with it, I don't think I've *ever* seen the player referred to by 'p'. Me thinks that statement may have hurt as it was extracted from your rectum.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Isn't the default for MCP firefern (flowerfern, fireflower, ... something?) now that gives different names for things? I remember when they switched you were about to have a breakdown before you figured out you could switch it back to the old names...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Isn't the default for MCP firefern (flowerfern, fireflower, ... something?) now that gives different names for things? I remember when they switched you were about to have a breakdown before you figured out you could switch it back to the old names...
No, I switched over to the new system at a certain point. Variables local to a function don't have names assigned, and just get the default 'var2', 'par4' treatment instead of the old 'i', 'j', 'k' thing. Was a pain in the ass for that reason (which is basically no good reason at all). My understanding was that they had intended to switch to meaningful names, and the change facilitated that, but it's not something I've ever seen actually applied to local variables anywhere in the code that I recall, so yeah, looks like it was a big hassle for nothing.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up and that does sound like a big pain for nothing. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up and that does sound like a big pain for nothing. :P
Yeah, was just another example of overly ambitious plans amounting to nothing but causing modders a huge pain in the ass for the sake of the theoretically ideal, which is generally more typical of the Forge, but happens occasionally with MCP as well.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Well, I haven't actually looked at the code in quite a long time and what I have looked at more recently had nothing to do with the player directly so I am probably thinking totally wrong on that one :P I could have sworn though... Maybe I'm thinking of some of my own code from way back when, when I did some stuff for the millenaire library and had to mess with villager quirks and suchnot. Ahhh... Millenaire... One of the few respectable mods out there nowadays. Too bad it had to go in the direction it went....
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

well isSprinting returns true/false is the target entity is sprinting or not...
but where did you place this test?
I have 2 different speculations:
On attacking a sprinting animal, or
Skeleton firing at the player
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Perhaps it makes animals run away when you sprint towards them in a similar manner to ocelots?
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Shadynate

Post by Shadynate »

My guess Zombies now sprint.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shadynate wrote:My guess Zombies now sprint.
No, I have a friend who would never speak to me again if I did that. We've had many an argument over the virtues and downfalls of sprinting zombies in modern cinema :)

My all time favorite zombie movie is the modern remake of Dawn Of The Dead, while his is the original. You can see where the discussion goes from there.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Most likely it doesn't have to do with anything new sprinting, rather it is checking whether something is already sprinting. Naturally, this narrows the scope of possibilities down to those entities with the current capability of sprinting: the player, animals, and baby zombies/villagers iirc. This, combined with FC's mention that it will contribute toward making mobs scarier, makes me think that it is checking whether the player is sprinting, as making mobs scarier in response to animals sprinting doesn't seem logical in my mind (note: this doesn't actually rule out that possibility, just makes it unlikely).

Dunno what exactly the feature is, but I thought I'd point out those observations which I had. If I had to bet though, I'd bet on Six's idea.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

It's probably a check to see if skeletons should aim for your knees...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:It's probably a check to see if skeletons should aim for your knees...
Oh noes. I had hoped that meme had died off by now :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Meme? What meme? ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Meme? What meme? :D
I assume you jest, but this meme...

Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Glorious! I had no idea there was an appropriate dubstep song. You just made my day! Lol
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Glorious! I had no idea there was an appropriate dubstep song. You just made my day! Lol
I even put the "Paranoid Android" album on pause while I went to find you that, totally breaking its awesome progression, so glad you appreciate it :)

EDIT: Wait...that's "OK Computer"...no idea why I thought the album itself was called Paranoid Android.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I have a theory, spoilered just in case, but I have never been right yet!
Spoiler
Show
Running full tilt into walls now results in a concussion? Would certainly make trying to escape enemies more dangerous as mistimed jumps or dodges could end up fatal.
Moldiworp2

Post by Moldiworp2 »

Mobs aggro radius is increased while sprinting? Oh christ I can't wait whatever it is.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

From what I saw in Icy's videos, I'm going to say it's something about critical hits.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Lars

Post by Lars »

For a second there I was afraid FC was reffering to Icy quickly hiding and eating, before confronting a skeleton. I thoguht that maybe when you hide and eat, monsters would now charge toward you. Shit, that would be scary as hell. But looking at all the following responses, I suppose that's not going to happen (yet?)

My new theory is Hardcore Knockback. I'll assume I need not explain =S
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Lowered fall damage threshold while sprinting would be my guess. A one or two meter drop is easy to manage if you drop straight down but if you sprint over it unexpectedly you may break a couple limbs.
Better is the enemy of Good
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

I think it has something to do with sprinting over ice. I remember Icy making a comment about how nice the speed boost over ice was in his Let's Play.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Calo290 wrote:I think it has something to do with sprinting over ice. I remember Icy making a comment about how nice the speed boost over ice was in his Let's Play.
It would be pretty cool if you could slip and fall over or something =D