Do villages become abandoned - Possible Spoiler

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DukeCunning

Do villages become abandoned - Possible Spoiler

Post by DukeCunning »

Hi All,

Do villages become abandoned if we change spawn point with a SFS beacon?
(Meaning that the village will now be within 2000 block of spawn point.)

I don't have a beacon, yet, to test this.

Thanks in advance.
Gunnerman21

Re: Do villages become abandoned - Possible Spoiler

Post by Gunnerman21 »

how would they become abandoned if they already would have tilled soil and villagers?
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Do you mean new generation villages? Obviously previously generated villages in unloaded or loaded chunks won't change. No idea about new generation villages.
DukeCunning

Post by DukeCunning »

Mr_Hosed wrote:Do you mean new generation villages? Obviously previously generated villages in unloaded or loaded chunks won't change. No idea about new generation villages.
I had a village next to my second base (which became my main base). With one of the latest updates the village became "abandoned".
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Newly generated villages determine if they ought to be abandoned based on the original spawn, so using an SFS beacon should NOT cause any abandoned villages to generate around it unless it happens to also be near enough to the spawn point for that to happen anyways.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

recently i used the /loc function in testing villages. When i found one i used the command to see how far from 0,0 it was. In searching, i decided to teleport myself a long ways away to find workable villages. I found one that was abandoned, so i checked the /loc and it said i was more than 19000 blocks in the X direction and 6000 in the Z. I was very confused by this...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Coordinates don't center on spawn, they center on 0,0, which can be a long way from spawn.
Utterbob

Post by Utterbob »

Don't forget villages can be overrun by zombies. Is it possible the one in question was annihilated rather than spawning as abandoned?
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Utterbob wrote:Don't forget villages can be overrun by zombies. Is it possible the one in question was annihilated rather than spawning as abandoned?
Well, it should be pretty simple to tell. Zombies cannot destroy the water source blocks in the fields around a village, which will not be present if the village was originally abandoned. Besides that, it is highly unlikely zombies would destroy every door and trample every crop in a village.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

I think the OP would have accounted for Zombies if that were the case, given that this village is stated to be near his base.

The other possibility that comes to mind Duke, is that you might be faced with one of a couple bugs.

There's a very frustrating issue on the server I play on server right now wherein Villagers seem to fall through steps and other blocks and suffocate when pushed up an incline into them. (And also seem to glitch through blocks for other reasons but I haven't seen those personally.)
Additionally, certain mobs (such as baby cows) seem to fall through the world when chunks are loaded, which may also affect villagers, at least young ones.

Notable caveat is that I've only seen these on SMP but then I've been playing SMP pretty exclusively since a bit before the last VMC version update.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
DukeCunning

Post by DukeCunning »

The Phoenixian wrote:I think the OP would have accounted for Zombies if that were the case, given that this village is stated to be near his base.

The other possibility that comes to mind Duke, is that you might be faced with one of a couple bugs.

-SNIP-

Notable caveat is that I've only seen these on SMP but then I've been playing SMP pretty exclusively since a bit before the last VMC version update.
I play on Single Player. The base I am referring to is within 2000 block radius of my original spawn. Basically, what I am wondering is if the beacon changes my spawn location will villages within 2000 blocks of this new location become abandoned.

Btw, LOVING BTW and thanks again FC.
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

DukeCunning wrote:Basically, what I am wondering is if the beacon changes my spawn location will villages within 2000 blocks of this new location become abandoned.
FlowerChild wrote:Coordinates don't center on spawn, they center on 0,0, which can be a long way from spawn.
Based on what FC said, no. New villages in a radius around the beacon should not be abandoned, since it centers on 0,0 rather than spawn, regardless of where spawn may be.
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
DukeCunning

Post by DukeCunning »

ignika42 wrote:
DukeCunning wrote:Basically, what I am wondering is if the beacon changes my spawn location will villages within 2000 blocks of this new location become abandoned.
FlowerChild wrote:Coordinates don't center on spawn, they center on 0,0, which can be a long way from spawn.
Based on what FC said, no. New villages in a radius around the beacon should not be abandoned, since it centers on 0,0 rather than spawn, regardless of where spawn may be.
Actually, what FC said is that your spawn point is not 0,0. Which is not what you said.

Anyway, thanks for replying.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just to bring this to a close: abandoned villages are based around your original spawn. It does not shift with binding yourself to a beacon.
DukeCunning

Post by DukeCunning »

FlowerChild wrote:Just to bring this to a close: abandoned villages are based around your original spawn. It does not shift with binding yourself to a beacon.

Thanks, just what I wanted to know.