Don't Starve - initial thoughts and opinions

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Don't Starve - initial thoughts and opinions

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:Yes that would be intuitive to break the headstone or at least transplant. Will have to see if signs show on world map. Kind of hooky but you could mark areas done.
Yeah, signs do show on the map, but unfortunately you can't mark them in any way. They'd be extremely useful for mapping wormholes if you could color-code them or something.

But you're right in that I should probably use them to mark such areas that I need to revisit.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

So after hearing about all the awesome new features that Don't Starve seems to have developed since my last session with it I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately the steam client seems to keep failing to update after somewhere between one to eight thousand kilobytes, saying something about needing an internet connection to update. Anywho, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to manually download the steam client so I can hopefully avoid this problem.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

DNoved1 wrote:So after hearing about all the awesome new features that Don't Starve seems to have developed since my last session with it I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately the steam client seems to keep failing to update after somewhere between one to eight thousand kilobytes, saying something about needing an internet connection to update. Anywho, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to manually download the steam client so I can hopefully avoid this problem.
http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Run the installer from that page after using task manager or similar to shut down Steam on your system.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Vexalor wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Run the installer from that page after using task manager or similar to shut down Steam on your system.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. I actually don't have steam on this computer at all, as I have fairly recently upgraded it to Windows 8 (in the process wiping the disk to get a nice, fresh start.) So my issue is that I run said installer, it installs the base of steam, and proceeds to update, failing in the process. What I'm wondering is whether steam has the files available for manual download in a similar manner to how minecraft has all their jars available for download at assets.minecraft.net.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Spoiler
Show
DNoved1 wrote:
Vexalor wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. I actually don't have steam on this computer at all, as I have fairly recently upgraded it to Windows 8 (in the process wiping the disk to get a nice, fresh start.) So my issue is that I run said installer, it installs the base of steam, and proceeds to update, failing in the process. What I'm wondering is whether steam has the files available for manual download in a similar manner to how minecraft has all their jars available for download at assets.minecraft.net.
Alright, so I checked the Steam support website, and you might want to take a look at these:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -IADH-1503

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -WPDF-3220

If they don't work, here is the page itself: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_cat.php?id=14

Hope these help!
TheOneGuy

Post by TheOneGuy »

FlowerChild wrote:I find swamps are where the pitchfork comes in really handy. It basically allows you to create visible paths so that you can tell which areas you've determined are free from the "land mines" that tentacles represent.

If you need to clear tentacles, I also find building a few pig huts, or even plopping down spider nests really helps.

The way I play I basically avoid fighting almost anything directly, and always aim to bring two species into conflict with each other instead ;)
Oh god...I know this post is kinda of old, but...I do that from time to time to...lure a beefalo herd to a field of bees while in heat...and oh boy..prepare for lots of stingers, meat, wool and honey. Good times, and good eating.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, just remembered, I've been meaning to comment on this for awhile but just remembered it and had a chuckle again:

For those of you that don't habitually shift click on stuff to see what your character says about it like I do (I love most of the writing in that game), the line that Wilson says about a live bunny in his inventory has got to be the best dialogue in a video-game evah. It cracks me up every single time :)
TheOneGuy

Post by TheOneGuy »

I've always found burning a giant forest down so fun, then afterwards feeling pretty bad when I examine a tree and Wilson saying "I could have prevented that.". But nonetheless I take all my charcoal and leave the area =)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I like to think of it as a controlled burn :)

Plus I plant my fair share of tree rows. The best part about tree harvesting with pigs has to be the added meat when they summon the tree guards. So funny that the pigs chop to their doom after observing my initial strike and the tree guard ignores me because I am just shoveling stumps when he spawns.

Can't wait to see what this caves expansion offers on the 10th. Hope I can watch the stream.
Psion

Post by Psion »

Taleric wrote:I like to think of it as a controlled burn :)

Plus I plant my fair share of tree rows. The best part about tree harvesting with pigs has to be the added meat when they summon the tree guards. So funny that the pigs chop to their doom after observing my initial strike and the tree guard ignores me because I am just shoveling stumps when he spawns.

Can't wait to see what this caves expansion offers on the 10th. Hope I can watch the stream.
Lol, I kinda hope klei adds scarecrows to the game, if only because my lumberjack pigs get constantly distracted by seeds left on the ground by birds in my tree farm. XD
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

O.o FC! thank you so much! I for the life of me couldn't figure out which button let me hear the in game description of equipable(and other) items. I'm such a nub.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
TheOneGuy

Post by TheOneGuy »

Psion wrote:
Taleric wrote:I like to think of it as a controlled burn :)

Lol, I kinda hope klei adds scarecrows to the game, if only because my lumberjack pigs get constantly distracted by seeds left on the ground by birds in my tree farm. XD
Lumberjack pigs, why... I didnt even know, and all the time ive been playing.... let me go round some pigs up now! Chopping wood will be a lot less tedious now, and ill have something to waste my monster meat on!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Shift clicking everything was my favorite part of the game, hands down
Better is the enemy of Good
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I recently showed this game to my brother, and while showing explained the similarities between it and Better Than Wolves. After listening intently for a while, he said:
"I think the creators of both should get together and make a game greater than both and name it: 'Better Than Starving'."
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

regarding FC's comment about destroying tombstones. I couldn't agree more now. Within the first 2 days of my newest world, I found an awesome spot to call my own. Marble pillars, statues, and carpet flooring, but 12 or 15 tombstones in the center. XD Really want to just smash the tombstones and move in, but I can't. :( I guess the next best thing is to make me a pitch fork and pickaxe and harvest the stuff.

Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Just watched a caves preview live stream!

Eleven days from release and still very alpha.
Spoiler
Show
At the moment if you are in the cave it suspends Overworld time but it was specifically stated they plan to change that. There are large bunny men that work much like pigmen but attack you if you have meat in your inventory. Two new types of spiders with new attacks. A bat that produces guano. Cave-ins that drop rock/flint. Lots of dark so sanity loss in a near constant. If you die "unseen forces" return you to the surface, so it is like adventure mode in that way.

That was the major stuff not mentioning small stuff like mushrooms, glowing plants and snails. Looks like interesting content. No added boss mob at the moment.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Damn. I meant to watch that and totally brain-farted on it :\

BTW: I really like the tie-in with the bunnies and Wilson's comment about rabbit holes leading to the bunny kingdom :)

EDIT 2: On bats and guano: mother-fucker! Ok, these guys think way too much like I do. I've been planning guano being the source of nitre for gunpowder when I get to my bat revisions for way too long now, and I suspect that's exactly what they're doing too.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Aaaaaaactually, we thought ahead this time and hid a secret cave entrance into all worlds generated with the release version of the game.

So there will be one entrance in your world.... somewhere. I think it looks like a basalt right now, but it will be the sinkhole when the new build goes live.
Now we know why the basalt...

Also: Am I the only one who hates the idea of getting a free pass if you die in the caves?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Also: Am I the only one who hates the idea of getting a free pass if you die in the caves?
No :)

It actually makes the caves a safer place to spend your time than the overworld, which just feels wrong.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

It feels ok to shelter in a cave. Fair trade cause there is low light and you will go nuts anyways. Maybe instead of dying a new animation like pass out and the bunny men "send you" to surface. I agree it is "off" that you die and drop all your goodies yet live. Not an unfair balance just odd feeling implementation.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Hmm, I think I have mixed feelings about it honestly. I understand where you guys are coming from about the free pass, but I also feel that, considering it is supposed to be much harder than the over world, it would be unfair since you are -almost- guaranteed to die if you enter the caves. I think what might make the 'second chance' they are giving you feel less of a relief would be if you were revived with only 1 hp. That way, there is no way in heck you'd be jumping back down that hole to reclaim your stuff anytime soon. That, and you will need to make some major resource expenditure just heal back up again.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

<sniff> And after a very long journey, Wilson bit the big one at the end of world 3 (in sight of the last piece I needed for the machine), because his master got just a little too greedy and decided to push forward into a swamp to get that last piece, instead of going back to his base to build a meat effigy as he new he should.

One misstep onto a tentacle ended his life a second after thinking "I really shouldn't be doing this".

I don't know if I have it in me to hop right back into the gate after all that, but I know I will soon ;)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Poor Wilson, over extending with no effigy, risky! Adventure or your survival? Somthing appeals to me running up the day clock so I have yet to leave first, save adventure attempts.

Not sure if the patch in a week or two will be applied to existing. Don't see why no so plenty of time to build up before caving time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:Poor Wilson, over extending with no effigy, risky! Adventure or your survival?
That was adventure. Hence the <sniff>. I was really keen on potentially finishing it.

It was an extremely good run actually, just a silly mistake on my part brought it to an end. It seriously hurts when that happens though, as I suspect I had 20+ hours into that adventure, so the thought of starting over again from scratch is a rather daunting one.

I'm also really hoping they apply survival tech progress to adventure in the coming update, as the thought of grinding through the tech again in adventure really doesn't appeal to me.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

FlowerChild wrote: EDIT 2: On bats and guano: mother-fucker! Ok, these guys think way too much like I do. I've been planning guano being the source of nitre for gunpowder when I get to my bat revisions for way too long now, and I suspect that's exactly what they're doing too.
Apparently some of the new cave spiders may spit webbing at you.

http://www.twitch.tv/riptidepow/c/2265953 has the livestream saved.

Speaking of tentacles that seems to be the only way i die in Dont' Starve.