Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Vexalor

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Vexalor »

Spoiler
Show
jecowa wrote:I really hope they add a save-folder-switching feature so that each version folder would get its own save folder, but I'm kind of suspecting they won't. Currently I use a different ".minecraft" folder for every mod/version I play, which has the bonus of keeping all my save files separate from each other. Here's an example of my other "versions folder" to give you an idea.
Vexalor wrote:
Sarudak wrote:As long as they don't makes it easy to load the same save game with multiple jars...
Actually, if I am reading this correctly then that is exactly what it will do. If Mojang compartmentalizes the core game files, I don't see a real reason why they would put in the effort to also compartmentalize the folder containing the saved level files. However, I am curious, why would this be an issue? Loading the same saved game with different jars would inevitably lead to id conflicts and likely break the save.
If you load a Better Than Wolves world in Millénaire instead of Better Than Wolves, for example, it will delete all the Better Than Wolves blocks.
I know, I know. I even said it in the freaking post... I guess I'm just not thinking straight today.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

jecowa wrote:I really hope they add a save-folder-switching feature so that each version folder would get its own save folder, but I'm kind of suspecting they won't. Currently I use a different ".minecraft" folder for every mod/version I play, which has the bonus of keeping all my save files separate from each other. Here's an example of my other "versions folder" to give you an idea.
Yeah, I hope so too. I do pretty much the same thing (switching just the jar and risking world-screwing is just too dangerous), and I even made some scripts to make the whole process of making new folders and switching between them easy. (my script will even switch the native libraries depending on which OS I'm running at the time, since this is all on a shared partition :] )

Here's a picture of my folder setup, for anyone who cares:
Spoiler
Show
The light blue 'minecraft' is a symbolic link (or shortcut/alias) to whichever folder I'm using at the moment. The changeMCfolder script changes which folder it points to. This symbolic link is pointed to by another one in ~/Library/Application\ Support on OSX or ~/.minecraft on Linux, so as far as any programs are concerned, the minecraft data is where it's expected to be. To avoid having multiple copies of the (not tiny) sound files in resources, which don't change, I have one copy of them in the Resources/ folder you can see there, and the resources/ folder in each different MC folder points back to it. The initNewMCfolder script just creates a new directory with the given name and copies the options file into it (so I don't have to reset all my preferences) and creates the resources/ link, leaving me with a mostly empty folder that is ready to be installed with MC. My backup script zips up all the saves in the current MC folders saves/ dir, and copies them to my Dropbox, under the appropriate directory heading. (Also, I didn't start playing MC until beta 1.5, so the beta 1.3 version I have is thanks to MCNostalgia)
When they released the first version of the new launcher, the first thing I noticed was that it pretty much took the place of a setup like this, doing it natively instead, which could be nice if done correctly: being able to switch jars right in the launcher with a drop down menu would be nice and simple, especially for people who don't know how to do the same on their own or don't want to use an external program. The only real difference being, from what I've seen of the early version of the launcher at least, that while you can choose different jars, the saves/ folder seems to be shared. They will definitely have to address the issue of losing blocks when going back a version if they are going to let you load older jars. At the very least, a warning message can be expected, but I do hope there will be at least an option for jar-specific save folders.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Mojang added a Block of Coal.

I knew i should have put some money on that.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Psion

Post by Psion »

I'm actually OK with that one. Having a fortune III pick and mining coal, while lovely, leaves me with tons of my inventory filled with the stuff, so a way to compact it using a workbench while mining would be great. :x
Last edited by Psion on Thu May 02, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

And 1.5.2 has now gone live.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Padfoote wrote:And 1.5.2 has now gone live.
From the wiki:
Minecraft Wiki wrote:1.5.2
bug fixes:
  • MC-22 - Jukebox audio volume doesn't decrease
  • MC-1123 - SMP: Anvils charge level for nothing when using languages other than English
  • MC-1407 - Tamed wolves and cats despawn
  • MC-4253 - Endermen are rendered hostile if they take environmental damage
  • MC-8112 - Pick-Block and Furnaces
  • MC-8260 - Achievement "Hot Topic" Uses Faceless Furnace Icon
  • MC-12133 - Arrows visually float when shot into a block
  • MC-11229 – Using the anvil for free
  • FPS issues when using high-resolution textures
  • Minecraft Realms-related fixes
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

From Dinnerbone's twitter:
'b' snapshot going up shortly for crashes and stuffs
Errrr...is he watching these forums? Granted, 'b' versions aren't exactly something I invented, but I don't think I've seen them call them such before.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

FlowerChild wrote:From Dinnerbone's twitter:
Errrr...is he watching these forums? Granted, 'b' versions aren't exactly something I invented, but I don't think I've seen them call them such before.
I believe normal Mojangle nomenclature would be "1.5.2_01".
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, the snapshot naming convention is ##w##x, where the first two digits are the year, the second two digits are the week number, and the letter at the end is the version. So, the release's full name is 13w16b.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
SilverWraith

Post by SilverWraith »

Dinnerbone wrote:Start of a new texture loading system. May blow up.
I thought that they did that in the last update
jonny_AB

Post by jonny_AB »

Just a note on the new texture loading system, animations don't work and when going through a portal, the player's skin get's messed up, almost like there's a part of a screen shot used on the player's head
Spoiler
Show
src: Xisuma's snapshot video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM7qfQE ... 70305EF40D (around 2:05)
This'll hopefully be worked out though.
"What's the meaning of life?"
Though your life’s given meaning by you
I’ll say what I’ve found to be true -
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
(Or alternatively, “forty-two.”)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote:From Dinnerbone's twitter:
Nope, definitely not the first time that nomenclature is being used by Mojang regarding snapshots. I would even say that they always did use it.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Psion wrote:I'm actually OK with that one. Having a fortune III pick and mining coal, while lovely, leaves me with tons of my inventory filled with the stuff, so a way to compact it using a workbench while mining would be great. :x
Same, I've always mined coal and Redstone with silk touch and used fortune on it back at base so that I could spend more time in the mines. Now though with the ability to compress all ores that drop items, I can mine with fortune directly without using an extra tool and not having to have a secondary remining operation later.
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

It seems like in the new snapshot a few things have been changed. Zombies don't drop from the sky no more and pig zombies spawn zombies in the nether.
Spoiler
Show
Swimmingbird's video covers most or all of the new features.
EDIT: Swimmingbird given credit for his video to prevent any confusion ;).
Last edited by CreeperCannibal on Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote:Nope, definitely not the first time that nomenclature is being used by Mojang regarding snapshots. I would even say that they always did use it.
Huh. Maybe I subconsciously got it from them then :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CreeperCannibal wrote:pig zombies spawn zombies in the nether.
Huh? Sigh. Ok, more gruel there.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Nether Fortresses now have loot chests? Interesting. Not sure how I feel about that one, but it seems okay. I am still wondering why all horse paraphernalia is found in loot chests (and seems to be annoyingly common), though.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

FlowerChild wrote:
CreeperCannibal wrote:pig zombies spawn zombies in the nether.
Huh? Sigh. Ok, more gruel there.
Worse yet, they can spawn zombie villagers for the apparent purpose of creating villages in the nether without having to import villagers through a portal. Luckily, this shouldn't be an issue in BTW, but, though they have tweaked it extensively, the whole zombies spawning other zombies is still pretty weird. Zombie "reinforcements" can only spawn at a distance (Dinnerbone said that he wanted them to only spawn "around corners" in caves and such; maybe he is watching these forums, as I believe that was said verbatim here) and only due to player damage, so it shouldn't affect mob traps. Further, if a zombie is wearing armor, according to Mojang, they are a "commander" and have a much higher chance of causing additional spawns nearby.

EDIT: I just watched CreeperCannibal's video above; it looks like Mojang is making lava disappear when the source block is removed almost as fast as water now. I definitely don't like that, as many times as I have personally died because of the slow rate at which lava recedes. The maker of the video also seems to think 1.5.2 is bugged to hell, so maybe FC should hold off updating.

DOUBLE EDIT: Grammar
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Vexalor wrote: I am still wondering why all horse paraphernalia is found in loot chests (and seems to be annoyingly common), though.
Probably because that makes it 'late game.' Because the vMC Nether is terrifying and impossible to tackle after less than twenty minutes of gameplay.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Sandrew wrote:
Vexalor wrote: I am still wondering why all horse paraphernalia is found in loot chests (and seems to be annoyingly common), though.
Probably because that makes it 'late game.' Because the vMC Nether is terrifying and impossible to tackle after less than twenty minutes of gameplay.
I understand, but the horses are supposed to be incredibly rare, and that stuff pops up in every naturally generated chest to excess.
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

It might be mojang's trying to shove the new features into the player's face. I don't like the idea of naturally generated overworld loot in nether dungeons. It feels too out of place. It's a big WTF to find a chest made of earthy materials in such a hellish dimension.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

Vexalor wrote:I just watched CreeperCannibal's video above; it looks like Mojang is making lava disappear when the source block is removed almost as fast as water now. I definitely don't like that, as many times as I have personally died because of the slow rate at which lava recedes.
I don't think any feature that makes the game indiscriminately harder is necessarily a good feature. The slow disappearance of lava was apparently the result of an old block update bug -- it was never intentional, but nobody got around to fixing it until recently. It just doesn't make sense for lava to sit around indefinitely without a source block around.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Just watched ethos newest episode and couldn't help but notice the ever effectiveness of horses and fire resist potions for swimming quickly through lava -.-.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

savagelung wrote: I don't think any feature that makes the game indiscriminately harder is necessarily a good feature. The slow disappearance of lava was apparently the result of an old block update bug -- it was never intentional, but nobody got around to fixing it until recently. It just doesn't make sense for lava to sit around indefinitely without a source block around.
I don't think that's true. There's two things with lava: a bug that showed up a few months ago where the neighboring blocks don't always update each other properly, and flows exist indefinitely without their source, and there's the slow speed of it, which has always been the case, and to my knowledge, is intentional.

Fixing the bug in no way requires fixing the other bit.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I think some may not realize it is two different issues and just assume that the slow speed of lava is why it stays forever. I think of the forever persistent the bug went away and the slow lava retreat stayed, people wouldn't think anything was wrong with it I'd feel natural.