Houndmurdered: A Dwarf Fortress Group Game {Newbs Welcome}

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Wookieguy

Houndmurdered: A Dwarf Fortress Group Game {Newbs Welcome}

Post by Wookieguy »

Someone popped up not long ago, wanting to do a Dwarf Fortress succession game, but it didn't come to anything. Let's try again! Everyone is welcome, even if you are new to the game.

Rules:

1 Each player plays in the fortress for a maximum of one year, but may complete the year of the previous person if they did not.
2 When a player is done with their turn, they will make a post here with a download link to the save file. The next person downloads this file to play.
3 A player must make a post to say that they are taking a turn.
4 No mods that change the save file may be used (dwarf therapist, stonesense, etc. are fine and recommended, but dfhack and content mods are not)
5 Players must keep at least a basic journal of their play, to let other players know what has happened. In-character perspective and screenshots are recommended.
6 If a player screws up terribly (digs straight to "bedrock", kills 80% of the population, sneezes on the elves, etc.), the next turn may be played with a past download for continuity's sake. Thus, this is newb-proof and newb-friendly.

Let the FUN commence at the fortress of Houndmurdered!

(I've already taken a turn, which will be posted shortly)
Estimated airspeed velocity of an unladen European swallow: 24 mph
Wookieguy

Re: Houndmurdered: A Dwarf Fortress Group Game {Newbs Welcom

Post by Wookieguy »

Album: http://imgur.com/a/Nb3Do

Year 1
1st of Granite, 251

Its a dingy lot, but it'll do. Fortresses are built on the backs of tough dwarves, not charming royals and merry men.

We left the Mountainhomes in moderate spirits, which quickly faded along our long trek. Arrival at Houndmurdered (Rorungusan) didn't change anything. The humidity is annoying, and the bugs are pestering. We had difficulty finding the scout marker among the thick foliage.

My dwarves are as follows:

'Wookieguy' Gerigmorul, the expedition leader and miner
Erush Astanakas, Miner, with oddly clean shaven hair and strong build
Litast Avuzrilbet, Carpenter and Appraiser, beardy and fat
Thob Bomrekducim, Woodcutter, wordy and thin
Sodel Razesmorul, Mason, skinny and braidy
'Flowerchild' Onulasdug, Planter, patient old fart that likes dogs for their loyalty (and teleportation abilities)
Datan Ezumgiken, mechanic, sings too much

Thob went off to cut some trees, Wookie and Erush set to burrowing into the hillside and downward. Datan gathered plants, and everyone else showed the animals to a pasture north-west of the wagon. By the 12th, we had a stairwell dug and somewhere to plop our logs. Next up was the farm room, which Flowerchild soon filled with all sorts of growing stuff. This happened as the miners dug out our meeting hall, food storage, and kitchen areas.

In the next weeks, the dwarves set up our main workshops and the bedrooms, as well as bringing in our first harvest. Finally they could get some well deserved rest in a moderately comfortable place. Sleeping on wine barrels is not acceptable anymore. Oh, and we built a still. Duh.

As far as overall design goes, I'm trying for a well leveled design, where walking time is saved by using stairs. Its a bit annoying going up and down all the time, but I'm sure the dwarves can handle it.

First group of immigrant came in today, 12th of Malachite. Oh joy.

Stinthad Kordamoddom, Ranger, skrawny kid
Tosid Tashemkubuk, Fishery Worker, peachy skinned with light hair
Vabok Lokumallas, Fish Dissector, looks sort of like Erush
Adil Otunngzaneg, Farmer, too much like an elf
Three children too insignificant to name.

The next period of time was spent organizing our massive stone reserve, getting food a bit more stable, and getting everyone some dwellings. Sometime in there, I assigned Vabok to be our bookkeeper. Frankly, I think he just wanted the big room and an office. I really should get the other dwarves some better lodgings. They are smoothing our dining room floor, so I guess that counts.

The dwarves were feeling mighty industrious, so they figured out a nifty mine cart system for moving stone blocks from the masonry to a stockpile. Just before a flock of immigrants came in. Oh joy.

Mestthos Voboklinem, Trapper, old guy that mumbles
Olin Mersethrigoth, Stonecrafter, tough old woman
A bunch of worthless children

We got a bridge built in the entrance hall, and then received a liaison from the dwarves of Muthkat Otil. But without a wagon! Apparently they couldn't find a way into our fortress! I checked earlier and found that we were accessible, so I have no idea what happened. Stupid dwarves.

We started on the mines in early winter, building a stockpile at the bottom of the main stairs where stone can be put, to be carried upwards by minecart. Nothing remarkable has been found yet besides sphalerite. I guess zinc is acceptable.

Then there's Olin. He's our stone crafter, and I've got him constantly churning out stone crafts. The dwarves are all buzzing about the masterpieces he is creating. I have to say, those figurines are quite fantastic. Osta Esteemedhell striking down the elf Emayi Whiskeredlull? Awesome. The liaison said they wanted some more toys, so I've got him making those now.

I have to say, I'm proud of these dwarves. In one year, they took a hole in the ground all the way up to sustainability. We are host to one of the greatest crafts-dwarves of our time, and show no sign of slowing down. Now to get metal production, defense, and a more stable society. Who knows how deep we'll go?

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114 ... egion1.zip

To-do:

Find out why wagons can't get to the depot.
Buff our defense.
Get metalworks going.
Keep food stable.
Make the fortress purty'.
Put doors on the workshops (in case a dwarf gets moody)
Don't die.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Not sure why I find it so hilarious that you named one of your dwarves after Flowerchild ;)
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

I think it's funnier that Dwarf FlowerChild is a patient old fart that values loyalty from dogs.

Far different from the Eldritch Overlord we all know and love/hate.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

DiamondArms wrote:I think it's funnier that Dwarf FlowerChild is a patient old fart that values loyalty from dogs.

Far different from the Eldritch Overlord we all know and love/hate.
What are you talking about? I'm sure the real FC values the loyalty of his wolves immensely... I mean, his wolves sit forever in dank dark rooms been fed terrible food for all eternity, and they don't even complain... That is real loyalty... Maybe even love......
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

jorgebonafe wrote:. That is real loyalty... Maybe even love......
How can you tell who loves you the most, your wife or your dog?

Lock them both in the boot of your car overnight and see which one is most pleased to see you next morning!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

I'm pretty much down for a group game but would rather see the old thread we had going about a month ago revived so that all participants can have a say in the founding of the fortress for a more democratic process. As it stands there is virtually no information about the biomes, savagery, mineral prevalence, neighbours (goblins and fun towers in particular) or even elevation.
Wookieguy

Post by Wookieguy »

Yeah, I'd love to see that game back up, so go ahead and try. I just wanted something that we could do right now, and not have to wait for any democratic process. I haven't ever gotten far enough into the game to know what all of those things entail anyway. I just wanted to play DF with some other people, now.

And Now, is over.

Lets try again... now?