What on earth is the "Better than Wolves App"?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Vexalor

What on earth is the "Better than Wolves App"?

Post by Vexalor »

So, today I was bored and decided to, for some reason, search for 'better than wolves' in the app store on my iPhone. As I sat waiting for the return, I thought to myself, "Why did I search that; there's no way anything relevant will come up." I guess I was wrong.

Two results came up, one of which (the other was irrelevant) bore the name "Great Guide for Better Than Wolves." I opened its page to see what it was, expecting to see another one of those useless Minecraft guides. I was surprised to that that was not what it was.

Here is its description in the App Store:
Spoiler
Show
Description
★★★Special Spring Sale!! 50% off for limited time!!★★★

-Added all Texture packs/mods to download!!
-Updated for iPhone 5 users to latest version!

The ultimate world mining game of blocks in the amazing Better than Wolves game sandbox environment. In this game you will experience it all. 

The world is at your hands. The Sandbox environment which has no limits. No boundaries. Your imagination will only limit your creativity.

-Build & Craft
-Huge Worlds 

-Randomized worlds

-Build anything you can imagine

-Awesome Modes
-Full high resolution Retina Display graphics
-Increasing Difficulty 

-Invite and play with friends to your world (local wireless network)

-Great Graphics,
-Music & Sounds
-A Whole New Concept in the
-Arcade Genre
-Easy & Responsive Controls 

-Built in Achievements

THE ADVENTURE STARTS HERE. CRAFT YOUR WORLD.

What's New in Version 2.0
-Does not crash
-More items
-More responsive controls

Updated: Dec 28, 2012
Version: 2.0
Size: 1.9 MB
Language: English
Seller: Brenda Thompson
Because something deep inside me holds me back from spending the two dollars to buy it and investigate further, I would like to ask if anyone has any idea what the hell this is. I may be horribly, horribly wrong, but, judging from the screenshots (just look up 'better than wolves' online or in iTunes)--and I don't want to jump to hasty conclusions--this looks like either a scam of some sort or a cover for a pirated version of Minecraft: Pocket Edition (unlikely, considering file size).

Also, if this was bad placement of this thread, I apologize; if a moderator could then move it to a more appropriate subforum, that would be very helpful.
Last edited by Vexalor on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graphite

Re: What on earth is the "Better than Wolves App"?

Post by Graphite »

All that and just a 1.9MB install? I'm seriously impressed.

Seriously though, if this isn't a scam, then I don't know what is...
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Graphite wrote:All that and just a 1.9MB install? I'm seriously impressed.

Seriously though, if this isn't a scam, then I don't know what is...

Agreed; this looks to be a scam. If that is so, it's interesting that BTW now has scam artists who claim (looking at the screenshots) to be providing BTW for Minecraft PE.
Lars

Post by Lars »

What's New in Version 2.0
-Does not crash
Most definitely a scam. The above is about the only thing that's funny about it though. Someone's obviously using BTW for commercial gain, which I'm sure FC won't be very happy about. Does anybody here have any experience with reporting fraudulent/copyright infringing apps on the playstore? Maybe one report by FC would be enough to get it removed, but if the quantity of reports matters we could all report it on the playstore?!
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

The app is just a quiz. I would not pay 2$ for it.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

jecowa wrote:The app is just a quiz. I would not pay 2$ for it.
So, in other words, a scam that appears to be profiting from the name of 'Better than Wolves' and screenshots of Minecraft. Great.

Just curious, but did you actually buy the app, or did you find the customer reviews (which were ironically hidden on the main page) before me.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Vexalor wrote:Just curious, but did you actually buy the app, or did you find the customer reviews (which were ironically hidden on the main page) before me.
I didn't buy the app; I read the following customer review on it's iTunes page:
Altair375 wrote: Should be free I thought it was minecraft not a stupid quiz
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

"Does anybody here have any experience with reporting fraudulent/copyright infringing apps on the playstore? "

Yes, and apple are basically not interested. It is an exercise in frustration - my advice, treat the istore like pirate bay, it is a lawless, moral-less place and apple are only interested in controlling political statements and nudity. They couldn't care less about scams or copyright infringement unless it hits the national news. Their "curation" is a joke and you're better off ignoring it in all honesty.

And please no-one buy the damn thing, even for a laugh or investigation, you just might raise the buys per month to a level where other scammers take notice that BTW earns clicks and sales. In fact, don't even look at the apps page, ignore it!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I'm with Shengji on this one about ignoring it. At a personal level, I've had more than my fill of drama with regards to ownership of BTW, and really don't need the distraction of getting pissed off about something this trivial/lame.

I'm also pretty sure this one has been mentioned in the past already. It seems vaguely familiar.
ion

Post by ion »

but.., but... it haz birds!
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, I'm with Shengji on this one about ignoring it. At a personal level, I've had more than my fill of drama with regards to ownership of BTW, and really don't need the distraction of getting pissed off about something this trivial/lame.

I'm also pretty sure this one has been mentioned in the past already. It seems vaguely familiar.
Okay, sorry I brought it up then. I did a search on the forum when I found out about this to see if it had been noticed before and couldn't find anything, but I likely missed something. Anyways, this thread can probably be shut down to avoid further publicity.