Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Katalliaan

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Katalliaan »

sin6il wrote:From what I read it only spawns more when a player damages them. So it shouldn't affect mob traps, unless any kind of damage activates the spawn.
It's not limited to player damage - you can see them being spawned by zombies that walk through fire in AnotherMinecraftLP's video on the snapshot.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

Katalliaan wrote:
sin6il wrote:From what I read it only spawns more when a player damages them. So it shouldn't affect mob traps, unless any kind of damage activates the spawn.
It's not limited to player damage - you can see them being spawned by zombies that walk through fire in AnotherMinecraftLP's video on the snapshot.
Ok I can see this getting out of hand with efficient mob traps. Mob traps will probably start spawning zombies inside and outside of the trap. It will make the area around a mob trap slowly fill up with zombies. That would get annoying pretty quickly.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

If they only spawn within a certain range of the damaged zombies you could just filter them out and make a larger kill chamber for the damn things.
peanut3k

Post by peanut3k »

http://mojang.com/2013/04/1-5-2-pre-rel ... hot-oh-my/

I really don't see the logic in this at all. Why not just put the snapshot into the prerelease? Or put the prerelease into the snapshot? I understand that 1.5.2 is supposed to be for Minecraft Realms (or so I've heard), but why not just put them into one neat little package?

... You know what? I don't even know why I'm questioning this. I should've seen this coming.
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

peanut3k wrote:I really don't see the logic in this at all. Why not just put the snapshot into the prerelease? Or put the prerelease into the snapshot? I understand that 1.5.2 is supposed to be for Minecraft Realms (or so I've heard), but why not just put them into one neat little package?
The 1.5.2 pre-release means they probably intend to release 1.5.2 next week. Presumably, Minecraft Realms is approaching a greater state of completion. It also includes several bugfixes. Pre-releases allow mod and Bukkit developers to get ahead in updating their software before the update is released to the general public.

The snapshots aren't related to their version-goals for 1.5 or Minecraft Realms, they contain highly-incomplete features that are planned for 1.6. It actually makes a lot of sense that they would separate these things.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

The zombie spawning thing is quite special at the minute - god knows why they included it in its current state, just take a look at this vid at around 7:30.

I know they'll fix it to something more reasonable in the coming weeks but still :)
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Simurgh wrote:The zombie spawning thing is quite special at the minute
I can't even explain how hard I hit my head on my desk seeing that video. Who knows why they thought paratrooper zombies were a good idea.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I remember I had a similar bug spawning mobs in the sky at one point, but of course, I corrected it within 5 minutes after having a good laugh :)

I despair when I see someone get that excited over naming mobs.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Padfoote wrote:
Simurgh wrote:The zombie spawning thing is quite special at the minute
I can't even explain how hard I hit my head on my desk seeing that video. Who knows why they thought paratrooper zombies were a good idea.
The moment i heard that "Every time they take damage, there is a small chance another Zombie would spawn" two thoughts entered my head:
1) Why? In what god-dammed mindset would a Zombie spawning another zombie out of thin air when it gets hurt make sense?
2) Surely, they took sunlight into account!

Tards
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

"Hey guys, lets ramp up the difficulty of vMC, it is just too easy, quick and boring."

"How should we do it? Moderate the players progression and force them to automate/explore?"

"Na, we will just add more blocks and spawn a crap ton more buffed mobs!"

..... infinite sadness.......
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I get where they are coming from with wanting an aggressive zombie to be able to call zombies in from everywhere else in earshot. That's traditionally how the horde grows while they chase you in most forms of the mythos. This is just a terrible way to go about it.
Better is the enemy of Good
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

DaveYanakov wrote:I get where they are coming from with wanting an aggressive zombie to be able to call zombies in from everywhere else in earshot. That's traditionally how the horde grows while they chase you in most forms of the mythos. This is just a terrible way to go about it.
All mobs in Minecraft are spawned seemingly from the aether. Perhaps the necromancer/witch/zombie master can see all that his zombies see and can send more using spacetime magic when he thinks they are needed. It probably cost a lot of mana to send creatures from so far away, so he can't do it all the time.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Yeah, I liked the hit one zombie - you're going to have to fight his friends thing. I have a feeling that the % chance for the additional spawns will be one of those things that will increase over time with the regional difficulty thingy. Not sure how I feel about that tbh.
If it was witches they added this to with a higher % chance to happen (although for this to work witches would have to be a thing you see in vMC) then I think I would like it - it would make them a nice almost boss mob. If it was spiders (or new spiders) laying eggs a la those things in Diablo 2, it could be quite cool, zombies spawning zombies though... I'll reserve judgement I guess.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Simurgh wrote:zombies spawning zombies though... I'll reserve judgement I guess.
That's the thing...I don't think you're supposed to be aware they're spawning them. They're supposed to pop around corners and shit as if they were always there.

I don't think it'll feel that way at all, and players will be all too aware of what's going on, but I think that's what they are going for.
johnt

Post by johnt »

Wouldn't that exponentially increase the output of mobtraps?
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

The extra zombies spawn a distance away from the damaged zombie, and potentially in the machinery area or drop collection area. You would need to rebuild your mobfarm to catch the extras in a new kill box, and one more after that, etc.

Or somehow funnel them back into the original kill box. which means zombies, zombies and more zombies. may lower or wipe out other mob spawns.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I doubt any of us will be playing with it long enough to find out ;)
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

savagelung wrote:
Sarudak wrote:This is partly why I was disappointed with horses. People have been asking for horses for years, and they finally got them. However, one of the great things about MC is that it's a weird world: there are cows with mushrooms growing on them, bizarre villagers, abandoned mineshafts, endermen. I wish, instead of horses, they had implemented something less typical, like a giant lizard of some kind, or better yet, improved pigs. If Notch's vision were still in place, I think I would have been much more interested in the last several updates.
I think llamas or alpacas would have made good mounts.

By the way, Jeb just posted that he's making the horse stuff take longer to obtain by hiding it in dungeons. https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/327724823889461248
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Soo... Just likw normal saddles? Yay.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Edit: Are dungeons really a challenge?

Edit 2: why not just use normal saddles then?
Last edited by DiamondArms on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biohazard91X

Post by Biohazard91X »

To be fair I'm pleased, anything which increases difficulty is at least a step in the right direction.
DiamondArms wrote:Edit: Are dungeons really a challenge?
More challenging than just crafting the items at least! It encourages some exploration.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/327764022206287872
Jeb_ wrote:Yes, there's a chance to find them all over the place now, including the nether
So...dungeons in the nether?

Edit:Also, it seems that they are in fact using the vanilla saddles for the horses now. Link
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for fairly normal things, like horse-riding equipment, to be villager trading based?

'pig saddles were found in dungeons' isn't a particularly good precedent, when new saddles have been created, for no well-explained reasons, for horses. It's feeling more and more like they're just adding a horses plug-in to minecraft instead of adding horses as a whole to what already exists in minecraft.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BlueRavenGT

Post by BlueRavenGT »

DNoved1 wrote: So...dungeons in the nether?
Or chests in nether fortresses.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: 'pig saddles were found in dungeons' isn't a particularly good precedent, when new saddles have been created, for no well-explained reasons, for horses. It's feeling more and more like they're just adding a horses plug-in to minecraft instead of adding horses as a whole to what already exists in minecraft.
You've been gone for awhile, so welcome to the new MC design direction man ;)