Anyone care if I rip out 3D anaglyph mode?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
STrRedWolf

Re: Anyone care if I rip out 3D anaglyph mode?

Post by STrRedWolf »

With my eyeballs... yeah, kill that. Not worth it. It's better to integrate Occulus Rift support through OpenGL than muck with that old-age tech.

Hell, most 3D tech now with my eyeballs only makes a screwy 3D display down to 2D with half the brightness. So not worth it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

STrRedWolf wrote:It's better to integrate Occulus Rift support through OpenGL
Wait... Is that even possible?
Fret

Post by Fret »

Although I don't use it myself like most of us and hating chunk loading a lot. I could gain a lot of this potential change. I can't get this guy out of my head.
jakerman999 wrote:I'm really the only person who plays in 3d? I feel so alone...

How big of a difference does it make performance wise, ripping it out vs. not touching it at all?
I have this picture that one day somewhere on this planet we share. A guy, playing the same game I play, updates his btw and with a sense of sadness puts down his 3D glasses. A single tear rolling down his cheek. A lost era.

This cannot happen! We have all been feeling though playing with all these new hardcore modes. Challeging ourselfs in a more brutal, but also more rewarding minecraft world. This person is beyond that. Playing it all in 3D the bonus hardcore mode. Details like this matter in life. Please don't take away my hero. Please leave 3D guy be.
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

Not really worth keeping a gimmick feature if only a few people use it. My vote is for the axe.
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

Fret wrote:Although I don't use it myself like most of us and hating chunk loading a lot. I could gain a lot of this potential change. I can't get this guy out of my head.

I have this picture that one day somewhere on this planet we share. A guy, playing the same game I play, updates his btw and with a sense of sadness puts down his 3D glasses. A single tear rolling down his cheek. A lost era.

This cannot happen! We have all been feeling though playing with all these new hardcore modes. Challeging ourselfs in a more brutal, but also more rewarding minecraft world. This person is beyond that. Playing it all in 3D the bonus hardcore mode. Details like this matter in life. Please don't take away my hero. Please leave 3D guy be.
I am sorry to be the one to disagree with you but we are not talking about ripping down the Brooklyn Bridge in favor of a more efficient design, it is being considered to rip out a useless feature that in most cases is not even touched, and in those cases only a minority actually continues to play with it. This means it would not be an end of an era as it would simply be a refinement to possibly allow someone like me with a not so decent computer to be able to experience a less stuttering minecraft. Honestly saving something for the sake of saving it is just not enough for arguments sake, in fact having to rely on that argument poses the question of whether or not there is a valid reason not to rip it out.

TL;DR Rip it out no sense holding on to something for its own sake.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ReaperT wrote:Not really worth keeping a gimmick feature if only a few people use it. My vote is for the axe.
Well, it depends on the gains. If someone is really using it, then I don't think it's worth it.

This isn't the particular change I'm hoping helps with the nether stutter BTW. It's just one of a series of changes.

At most, I'd say this would have about 1/6th of the impact that the change I made to snow had, as it's only done once per block, as opposed to once per face.

Some people reported about a 25% gain off of that one, so let's say at most a 4% boost, which really isn't very significant at all. Obviously, that stacks up if I perform multiple changes of the sort, but letting a single one slide really isn't a big deal. I doubt it's even as much as a 4% boost as in this case, it's a condition that *always* goes one way or the other, which means predictive branching would be at its most efficient.

Honestly, it's probably not even worth spending the time on discussing. When I posted this, it was under the assumption that no one would object, but did so "just in case".
Gareleus wrote:I am sorry to be the one to disagree with you but we are not talking about ripping down the Brooklyn Bridge in favor of a more efficient design, it is being considered to rip out a useless feature that in most cases is not even touched, and in those cases only a minority actually continues to play with it. This means it would not be an end of an era as it would simply be a refinement to possibly allow someone like me with a not so decent computer to be able to experience a less stuttering minecraft. Honestly saving something for the sake of saving it is just not enough for arguments sake, in fact having to rely on that argument poses the question of whether or not there is a valid reason not to rip it out.
Dude...as if it wasn't obvious enough: he was joking.
Grass_Block

Post by Grass_Block »

I have tried it (with a pair of glasses that I suspect were already fossilized when a friend found them) and it was pretty terrible. It seems not a lot of people use it , so I vote for ripping it out.
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

Minecraft had one of these? LAAAAAEM

Translation: Axe.
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

Swing away :)
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I wouldn't go so far as to call it my default mode of play. I pop in and out of it, and I spend more time without the glasses than with. After a day or two of 3d, you don't notice the colour loss. It really helps if you don't change texture pack.

I can live without it, if the 4% is really going to make a difference on some peoples computers, I'm willing to take the hit. Even moreso if I really am the only person who uses it for anything other than novelty. I know you don't really like discussing technical details, so use your best judgement. If it's worth axing, don't hold back on my behalf.
DukeCunning

Post by DukeCunning »

Don't use it.

Vote: Axe it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

K, I have enough info. Thanks guys.