Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Leonorai

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Leonorai »

Husbag3 wrote: A large amount of consideration and planning is done before an idea is implemented in to the mod by FC whereas the mojang team come up with something and implement it there and then.
And i think it only seems that way to you because they haven't shared their goals and/or visions for what they want MC to be. Here's the thing, it became kind of obvious that even Notch didn't have a clear idea of what the game was suppose to be when the snow golems were introduced.

FC has his plans, they're set in stone and well defined. You like them, and any deviation from said plans leads you to deem the current development of vanilla to be a failure, when in fact you don't know if it works for them.

What i'm saying is, don't let this forum start to resemble the official one in terms of spite. Be open minded, follow the development of RTH and be aware that guys like Dinnerbone aren't aware of FC's plans and they're not aiming to abide by those. So keep your cortisol levels down at each snapshot.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

so I've been playing with the tethers a bit and here's what I've found:

any number of mobs can be attached to one fencepost
hostile mobs cannot be tethered
mobs that are attached are free to move as long as they stay within the range of the tether's length (3 or 4 blocks)
mobs dangling from tethers will collide with each other
mobs dangling from tethers will move slightly on their own, significantly more if they collide with something
mobs on tethers can be fed and breed, babies born from tethered animals will not be born tethered
there is no way to remove a mob from a tether without either killing the mob or releasing ALL tethered mobs on that fencepost

so yeah, they seem a lot like breeding harnesses when mobs are hanging, although, it's a fairly nice feature to replace the old "pit-o-lovin" method in vanilla since it's not affected by the strange ability to desynch from reality and phase through solid objects that cows seem to possess in great numbers, also, I reiterate, it's freaking HILARIOUS to see a newton's cradle made of writhing bovines :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Leonorai wrote:What i'm saying is, don't let this forum start to resemble the official one in terms of spite. Be open minded, follow the development of RTH and be aware that guys like Dinnerbone aren't aware of FC's plans and they're not aiming to abide by those. So keep your cortisol levels down at each snapshot.
Yeah, that and your previous post are rule #2. Tend to your own community, and leave ours be.
Fret

Post by Fret »

Xeo wrote:Makes me think of tethered animals in Dwarf Fortress, it would be cool if they had a more active use though. But the real question is will the animals glitch out of their tethers, if not this may replace pens/fences for animal storage. I'm not sure how I feel abou that.
I don't think it will ever replace pens, fences and barns, at least not in BTW. Tying your cattle to a pole doesn't stop zombies from eating them.
Estel88

Post by Estel88 »

Fret wrote:
Xeo wrote:Makes me think of tethered animals in Dwarf Fortress, it would be cool if they had a more active use though. But the real question is will the animals glitch out of their tethers, if not this may replace pens/fences for animal storage. I'm not sure how I feel abou that.
I don't think it will ever replace pens, fences and barns, at least not in BTW. Tying your cattle to a pole doesn't stop zombies from eating them.
having it hanging on top of a pit covered in vinetraps could replace low tech mobtraps
Fret

Post by Fret »

Estel88 wrote:
Fret wrote:
having it hanging on top of a pit covered in vinetraps could replace low tech mobtraps
That could make, using your early iron for shears, an interesting option....
finite8

Post by finite8 »

All i want from Tethers is the ability to tether my Powered Minecart to other minecarts. I have wanted a Minecart train since i first put coal into my first powered minecart years ago. I would have preferred this to Powered Rails.

Choo Choo friggin Choo
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

finite8 wrote:All i want from Tethers is the ability to tether my Powered Minecart to other minecarts. I have wanted a Minecart train since i first put coal into my first powered minecart years ago. I would have preferred this to Powered Rails.

Choo Choo friggin Choo
Now theres an idea. Problem is though, furnace minecarts have too many issues to really make this an option. Even FlowerChild doesn't want to touch them and I don't think Mojang is going to try and do anything with them, so it's doubtful that this will ever happen in vanilla or BTW.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

What problems do furnace carts have though? I like using them when I want to save up my gold for a beacon (or at least I did pre charcoal nerf) and I haven't really had a problem with them, but in the past I did upgrade my rails to powered rails afterwards so I'm not really sure if there's more issues with them.

I really would like being able to tether mine carts and baiting traps is now ever so appealing :p
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

Calcifire3691 wrote: mobs on tethers can be fed and breed, babies born from tethered animals will not be born tethered
Anyone else hearing the Morpheus speech from "The Matrix" about the fields where human beings are created?

The potential for growing animals until they are ripe and then picking them like fruit is so lost by them not being born tethered. ;)
Nuchiha

Post by Nuchiha »

Fret wrote:
That, and the leashes automatically break at ten meters. Not sure if they can wander ten meters on their own or not. To be safe, you should make a pen anyways. Thus you may as well not have a leash. One useful thing about the leashes is that you can lead animals with them, with wheat/carrots/seeds they always seem to randomly go off (From my experiences).

--

About horses, I've gotten on one and used a sword. Trying to emulate being cavalry, on hard mode w/ no armour and an iron sword I've managed to kill a skeleton. Using a bow from horseback, appears overpowering. One can fire repeatedly, and run away w/ speed, no stamina loss and the ability to jump over obstacles in their escape. The question I have here is will this newly made cavalry adversely affect the difficulty I've come to love in BTW?
Mud

Post by Mud »

Nuchiha wrote:with wheat/carrots/seeds they always seem to randomly go off (From my experiences).
They should only stray if you're moving too fast. The "attraction" of the wheat/carrots/seeds has a very limited range.
Nuchiha

Post by Nuchiha »

Mud wrote:
Nuchiha wrote:with wheat/carrots/seeds they always seem to randomly go off (From my experiences).
They should only stray if you're moving too fast. The "attraction" of the wheat/carrots/seeds has a very limited range.
How fast is too fast? Usually I try to stay within five blocks/meters.

And wouldn't it be distance?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yes, but if you go too fast, the distance will become too great, so that applies as well. I have issues as well, and stay fairly close, and whenever they wasn't off, it isn't too terribly difficult to get them back, though it is a pain in the ass.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Calcifire3691 wrote:so I've been playing with the tethers a bit and here's what I've found:

any number of mobs can be attached to one fencepost
hostile mobs cannot be tethered
mobs that are attached are free to move as long as they stay within the range of the tether's length (3 or 4 blocks)
mobs dangling from tethers will collide with each other
mobs dangling from tethers will move slightly on their own, significantly more if they collide with something
mobs on tethers can be fed and breed, babies born from tethered animals will not be born tethered
there is no way to remove a mob from a tether without either killing the mob or releasing ALL tethered mobs on that fencepost

so yeah, they seem a lot like breeding harnesses when mobs are hanging, although, it's a fairly nice feature to replace the old "pit-o-lovin" method in vanilla since it's not affected by the strange ability to desynch from reality and phase through solid objects that cows seem to possess in great numbers, also, I reiterate, it's freaking HILARIOUS to see a newton's cradle made of writhing bovines :P
How have you not built a Newton's Cradle out of cows yet?

Heh. Newton's Cattle...
Better is the enemy of Good
johnt

Post by johnt »

new update adds name tags-- you can name mobs, including hostile mobs.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

johnt wrote:new update adds name tags-- you can name mobs, including hostile mobs.
Are you sure? You can do that in 1.5 using an anvil (dead weight) and a mob egg.
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

eternal8phoenix wrote:
johnt wrote:new update adds name tags-- you can name mobs, including hostile mobs.
Are you sure? You can do that in 1.5 using an anvil (dead weight) and a mob egg.
There is now a "tag" item which allows you to name mobs in survival mode. Previously, you could only name mob eggs, which you could not acquire in survival mode.

I suppose some people will enjoy naming their wolves and villagers. The only practical use I have thought of is to name villagers and livestock so you can easily keep track of anyone who is killed by zombies or by those still-unfixed entity-suffocating-in-wall-on-chunk-load glitches.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Looked it up in the Wiki:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Name_Tag
To use a name tag, it must first be renamed to the desired name with an anvil. The player can then right-click any mob to give the mob the name given to the name tag with the anvil. The name tag is consumed during the process and it will not be dropped by a renamed mob.

Name tags can be found inside dungeons' chests.
Propably for those, who want to use that feature without cheating.

ninja´d... by some minutes.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Sage

Post by Sage »

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 7698275329

Colored wood...ok, dinnerbone, while it is cool and all, why can't you realize that it will invalidate the purpose of the different colors of wood, that promoted the use of different types of saplings in farms, as well exploration for different biomes...and probably it won't have a new way of crafting it, but it will be a simple craft grid recipe.
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I love the guy who commented "can't we, y'know, get some of the glitchy bugs fixed first?" to colored wood.
Never say no to Panda.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Panda wrote:I love the guy who commented "can't we, y'know, get some of the glitchy bugs fixed first?" to colored wood.
If only more people would respond like that to features like colored wood...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

woo. more colours...it's almost like he's asking for the next batch of suggestions be 'coloured wood stairs!' and 'coloured wood slabs!' or even 'coloured wood fences!'.

So...horses, nametags, carpets and coloured wood. I give you 1.6; the fluff update!
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Stormweaver wrote:woo. more colours...it's almost like he's asking for the next batch of suggestions be 'coloured wood stairs!' and 'coloured wood slabs!' or even 'coloured wood fences!'.

So...horses, nametags, carpets and coloured wood. I give you 1.6; the fluff update!
But if we have coloured fences then we need coloured sticks. If we have coloured sticks then we need coloured tools as well! I'm failing to see why we need coloured wood if we already have wool.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: So...horses, nametags, carpets and coloured wood. I give you 1.6; the fluff update!
It's like someone answered my prayers and got Mojang to stay away from any actual gameplay content :)