Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Taleric

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Taleric »

For the recent snapshot I was most interested in the following:

Changed the idea of mob difficulty
Regional difficulty: The longer you spend in one area, the harder it gets
Scales with difficulty - Items, enchants or AI improve with difficulty

Anyone play around enough with this to notice big change?
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

When riding something, like a mob or a boat, dismounting is only possible using the Sneak key now
I think thats the best feature in the snapshot, I always start eating in a boat and end up dumped in the sea.

Yeah, I'd be really interested to see how the regional difficulty works, although Dinnerbone did say he wanted early game easier (apparently it was too hard?) so it has me wondering if mobs will start off easier and slowly progress to current difficulty. Also how theyre going to increase the challenge of mobs. If its just through the improved gear on mobs then that kinda sucks. Would be kind of cool to see charged creepers spawning, or something along the lines of those spiders that split up he was tweeting about. I had visions of them laying eggs when idle which hatch into mini spiders.

I think FC had the right idea on how to buff mobs... nerf the player - armour, stone level tools, food, hitpoint regen, low HP penalties.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Oh yes sneak dismount will be nice. I have had some fun mishaps recently exploring in full SFS out on the ocean ;)

Guess I had better join that twitter feed to get scoop on splitting spiders ect.

Yes to increase the challenge by nerfing Steve is much better. Returns value to items and mobs that already exist. (Wither skele before, meh, now "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!")

Not too impressed with the Horse.... Mule to carry gear is interesting.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Wither skele before, meh, now "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"
Protip - build a roof :)

Yeah, my gf even commented on the horses, said something along the lines of they don't look "all smushed up like your cows do" and "didn't you have a pig to ride about on?"
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Oh yes I have the 3 high bars at most intersections, it is this seed! The fortress generation is the most bizarre I have ever seen. Not only is it massive but the ends terminate all over on very thing craggy nether rock so all around I get blaze and wither spawn in the open outside the fortress! It is wonderful :)

I do agree that the pig must be angry. Should start a campaign like they had in the south US where the local supermarket chain (Piggly Wiggly) is being disposed by Walmart. Supporters had bumper stickers made that say "I'm stick'n with the pig!". Ah the south, always entertaining.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

There are now two Versions of Netherbricks in the game. Yours and the new vMC-one.
Just saw it when I was changeing some textures.

The vMC one is made my firing netherrack in the furnace... too simple and out of balance
Didn´t know if I should post this under the bug-section.
BlueRavenGT

Post by BlueRavenGT »

Kezza wrote: The vMC one is made my firing netherrack in the furnace... too simple and out of balance
The vanilla recipe should have been removed already.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Simurgh wrote:
When riding something, like a mob or a boat, dismounting is only possible using the Sneak key now
I think thats the best feature in the snapshot, I always start eating in a boat and end up dumped in the sea.
This feature i hate most of all. Shift has always been the "Go slow" button. Instinctively, when i am in a perilous situation, i hold shift to move carefully. I even apply this in PvP when i am sneaking up on a player. Now, when i see something dangerous and i hit shift i am going to be dunked in the water or get thrown off my horse (or push my horse) into a ravine. I am going to die a lot.

I can respect the attempt at avoiding the accidental "Eject instead of Eat", but how about shift AND right click? I'd image this as crouching / bending over with the right click the final action to complete the dismount and it would feel a bit more natural. Getting out / dismounting should be a slightly difficult task.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Also....
They naturally 'jump' over 1 block, which enables you to walk up hills
No. nonononono.

This is just going to feel awkward. Bring on the BTW Dirt slab in terrain generation.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote:This is just going to feel awkward. Bring on the BTW Dirt slab in terrain generation.
That would actually be a bad idea. It would result in way too many transparent blocks in the world, and would likely really hurt performance as a result.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Yeah, I assumed that it was shift+right click to dismount. If it's just shift = dismount then yep, thats very counter intuitive.
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

I don't really see the point. Just don't look at the boat while you eat. I've never accidentally dismounted my boat/minecart.

I don't see it as a *bad* thing, mind you, but I also don't see the point. Also, I kinda hope they allow you to break your boat while in it, still. I always bust my boat with an axe as I approach the shore to avoid breaking it. I don't like slowing down. ;)
Leonorai

Post by Leonorai »

Honestly even i don't have that much faith in the current dev team, but cool your jets folks.
I've been lurking in this forum for some time and i get the feeling a lot of you tend to emulate FC needlessly. The man knows he's got some subjectively better ideas (let's be honest, you can't define a person's play style as either right or wrong), but there's no need for an entire forum parroting "Vanilla is retarded i know better".

That kind of attitude might be the reason why some on the outside have the feelings that they do for your community.

Every change made to the original game gets met with a profound "ugh, UGH, why can't they just be FC and ape all his ideas?". Because they're separate human beings. Cut them some slack every now and again.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Leonorai wrote:Honestly even i don't have that much faith in the current dev team, but cool your jets folks.
I've been lurking in this forum for some time and i get the feeling a lot of you tend to emulate FC needlessly. The man knows he's got some subjectively better ideas (let's be honest, you can't define a person's play style as either right or wrong), but there's no need for an entire forum parroting "Vanilla is retarded i know better".

That kind of attitude might be the reason why some on the outside have the feelings that they do for your community.

Every change made to the original game gets met with a profound "ugh, UGH, why can't they just be FC and ape all his ideas?". Because they're separate human beings. Cut them some slack every now and again.
You seem to be missing the point. A large amount of consideration and planning is done before an idea is implemented in to the mod by FC whereas the mojang team come up with something and implement it there and then.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
devak

Post by devak »

Leonorai wrote:Honestly even i don't have that much faith in the current dev team, but cool your jets folks.
because we've been spoiled with BTW quality. I played around with 1.5 and kinda liked it. this is true for pretty much every feature of MC: i *kinda* like it. Minecraft bleeds with potential. unused potential.

we also wouldn't be here if we didn't already agree with FC's vision of gameplay. i do know that the overreaction to that is what you describe, but its hard to keep yourself from firing a gun if your target just keeps supplying ammunition.

the MCF is just a cobblegen of ammo and Mojang just keeps supplying the icing for the ammocake. what little good they do is so easily overshadowed by their bad sides.

i try to stay positive but it just doesn't feel like Mojang even wants us to like it.

Leonorai wrote:That kind of attitude might be the reason why some on the outside have the feelings that they do for your community.
i blame this on the usual "y my bukkit no work" goons that have eroded my faith in people on the MCF. this sometimes causes an overreaction.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

so a friend just sent me this:
Spoiler
Show
if FC doesn't rip tethers out, this is how I'm getting around from now on, by swinging to and from a series of porcine ceiling ornaments XD

I wonder if a player on a horse could hold a tether, attached to a pack mule, being rode by a player holding a tether (repeat until out of players) it could be an interesting method of moving things around manually until you get enough iron for rail systems
Last edited by Calcifire3691 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Thats kinda comical - wonder if hostile mobs can be tethered
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

OldMarriedDude wrote:Thats kinda comical - wonder if hostile mobs can be tethered
nope, I tried making a zombie gallows decoration/defense system :<
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

well thats no fun...be pretty cool "live" decorations
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Hunh, I can see some potential value in this: Folks have talked about baiting mobtraps with animals now that hostile mobs eat them and dangling chckens and cows from ropes as bait would be both space efficient and comical.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

using skeletons in tethers would be an unexpected method of defense in anarchy play..
johnt

Post by johnt »

As funny as that is, they should probably just make the tether break if the animal hangs.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

johnt wrote:As funny as that is, they should probably just make the tether break if the animal hangs.
We can only hope...

Although I will admit that was pretty funny to see; I couldn't stop laughing for awhile.
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Makes me think of tethered animals in Dwarf Fortress, it would be cool if they had a more active use though. But the real question is will the animals glitch out of their tethers, if not this may replace pens/fences for animal storage. I'm not sure how I feel abou that.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Now that I think about it, this also kinda replaces breeding harnesses because the animals wont be able to move.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.