Absolute Beginner's Guide to Surviving Better Than Wolves

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Nekhs

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Surviving Better Than Wolves

Post by Nekhs »

I wrote this for a couple of my friends who keep dying on my server, (they've never played BTW period, much less Hardcore Hunger - one of them is actually new to MC in general) and I thought it might be useful to some people. It's all text, no screenshots or videos, so if you want screenshots and videos, might I suggest some of the other fantastic guides already present on this very forum?

There may be some minor spoilers, but I couldn't fit that in the title, so it's here.

If you don't want anything spoiled for you, why are you reading a how-to guide anyway?

Go get yourself killed a lot, that's what I did.

The scope of this is strictly the early stages of survival. It's more of a loose set of guidelines for what to do than a hard and fast guide. This encompasses what I've learned from my experiences so far. There is no one true way to actually play - this just seems to be the best way to pull it off without villages and without doing a lot of nomading.

That's a word now.

---

The goal of early survival is attaining a sustainable food supply.

Early Game Tools:

Wood Pickaxe, Wood Shovel, Stone Pickaxe, Stone Axe

Early Game "Weapons":

Stone Axe (Extremely low durability, use only in an emergency!)

---

Early Game Foods:

Brown Mushrooms, Pumpkin Seeds, Cooked Meat, Eggs

Note that mushrooms spread extremely slowly, and pumpkins cannot be farmed until you have iron. Still, a nice dark mushroom-spreading area is a nice thought. Just be careful: it's quite possible that the mushroom farm will spawn monsters if you miscalculate even a little bit on the light level. It has to be low enough for mushrooms to spread, but high enough to keep monsters away - it's probably safer not to worry about it for now, especially if you're new to Minecraft in general and aren't sure what light level actually means.

Combat is to be avoided at all costs. Seriously, run away from combat if at all possible.

So the first thing you do in any version of Minecraft is punch wood. BTW is no different, so go gather a some wood. You'll want around ten wood logs to start with. Break them down into planks and the planks down into sticks, leaving enough wood for a wooden pickaxe. Mine all eleven cobblestone you can, and turn that cobblestone into a stone pickaxe and a furnace. Then mine more stone, then make a stone axe and some more stone pickaxes. If daylight still exists, consider getting more wood. You'll want it.

Do not go out at night if you can at all help it. If night falls and you're unprepared, dig a big hole and cry in it. Hopefully you won't starve.

Now that basic supplies are out of the way, let's discuss food.

If you find a swamp, harvest most of the brown mushrooms you find (leaving a handful under trees in case of emergency and for repopulation purposes). If you find pumpkins, collect them. Hunt for meat, but beware that animals run away, and chasing animals may be a greater waste of food resources than it returns. One porkchop is not worth three or four shanks off your food meter because you ran and jumped all over the place. Punch all the tall grass you find: hemp seeds will be an extremely vital part of the settling-down process.

Beware of over-hunting: You're not the only 'person' trying to eat animals now. Keep at least two of every animal penned up somehow, even if you don't have the crops to breed them just yet, as they will become important later in the tech tree.

If you don't care about wool, then sheep would be your best target for over-hunting early on; you simply don't need sheep if you don't want wool, and by end-game you'll have other food supplies.

When you think you've got enough resources to settle down, find a place you'd like to build. My ideal place is near a desert for optimal windmill usage, but a desert is not necessary, and I'm actually currently settling in a swamp by an ocean.

Chickens provide the earliest, easily-sustainable food source: feeding chickens hemp seeds from tall grass will provide eggs, which when thrown will either hatch into a baby chicken OR will give you a raw egg.

You want chickens around.

Raw egg can be mixed with brown mushrooms to create an omelet, which can then be cooked for best results. Alternatively, you can mix the egg with a bucket of milk and a bowl for scrambled eggs, which can also be cooked, or you can cook the egg alone for some benefit, if you never find milk or mushrooms.

If the chicken hatches, on the other hand, then you have access to more chicken meat or another source of eggs, depending on your preference, as soon as the baby chicken grows up.

It's important to note that you should create a safe chicken coop with a roof on top: the chickens' primary predators (other than you) do not care about walls!

After you've got your chicken situation settled, you should move on to farming properly. This will require at least eighteen iron ore to create the hoe, so it's time to start digging. You want as much iron and coal as you can get. Do not use the coal to smelt the iron you find; logs cook for variable times based on species but are now just about as effective as (char)coal in terms of fuel. You're going to want torches. Torches are important, and torches are much more valuable in BTW.

You will need a lot of stone pickaxes: the durability on them is not particularly spectacular, and you can no longer repair them by banging them together until they're fixed.

Suggestions for branch mining can be found all over the place, but I find that it's the most effective way to locate pretty much any mineral resource in vMC, and BTW doesn't change ore-spawning rules.

A general guideline I use is:

1: Dig to bedrock.
2: Go back up five blocks. This should put you right above the lava layer.
3: Dig in a straight line about three blocks high until you run into open air or something you can't actually mine.
4: Stop (it's hammer time).
5: Turn cobblestone into cobblestone slabs.
6: On your way back to the start of your mine, place half-slabs on the ground to prevent monster spawning.
7: Your mine will be very dark. You can use torches at important locations, but I would recommend only placing them as you absolutely need them: coal is much more valuable than cobblestone.
8: Dig side branches following the same guideline as #3.
9: Rinse and repeat.

You will also want stone stairs to take you to and from your mine. You can crawl up stairs when starving to death, but you can't jump. Besides, jumping wastes food resources. At this stage in the game, you do not have food resources to spare.

You should also consider this principle when terraforming the land around your home. Dirt half-slabs are an amazing invention. Use them liberally because you do not want to jump everywhere. You just don't. Stairs are also effective.

Running and jumping should be avoided unless it is absolutely necessary.

So, mining. You have some options on what you want to create out of iron. If you find diamonds, consider saving up twenty-seven iron ore instead of just eighteen. Two diamonds can be used to make a hoe, and your first iron pickaxe is a major milestone. Otherwise, just save up the eighteen iron ore you need to make a hoe, and craft it as soon as possible.

Yes, I said a hoe for your first two diamonds. Not a sword. You want to avoid combat at all costs. Combat will cripple you, and crippled Steves die horribly. The end.

Now that you've gotten a hoe somehow (we'll go with magic for this one), it's time to start up your real farming endeavors.

If you were lucky enough to get pumpkins in your early nomadic stages, great! Add pumpkin seeds to your farm, leaving a blank plot of dirt for each stem you plant. Note that pumpkin growth is pretty slow, but you can eat pumpkin seeds raw for 1/2 a shank of hunger each, at the same level as brown mushrooms on their own. Pumpkin pie is not available at this level unless you somehow wandered across an inhabited village and it had wheat - this guide is mostly about surviving without a village, so we're skipping pumpkin pie entirely.

You will want a decently-sized farm for hemp and hemp-seeds regardless of the presence or absence of pumpkins. Not only will this assist with feeding your chickens, resulting in more eggs and chicken meat, but a good hemp farm is also the first step towards the first major technological development in BTW: the windmill. Remember that your hemp farm must have open air or glass above it - and nothing else - or the hemp won't grow.

If you've found any bones in your travels from dead skeletons, or temples, or other players who had bones on them when they died (get creative! And remember, don't engage in combat if you can help it) you may want a millstone and hand crank to make bonemeal. The exact recipes can be found on the wiki, found here: http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Main_Page, so go take a moment to look that up now. The materials are things you should already have on hand if you've been following along.

(Hint: Wood and stone. Entirely. Some of it has to be processed.)

The hand-crank drains hunger extremely quickly, so always make sure you've got food to spare for this!

Bonemeal does not grow plants instantly in BTW, nor even at the rate that vMC now provides. It does, however, accelerate plant growth, including hemp plants and pumpkin stems.

So, now's a good time to analyze your resources. Do you have enough food to power the hand-crank to make bonemeal, and regardless of that, do you have enough food to survive the wait for your plants to grow? You should also consider whether or not you've encountered any wolves yet. If you have, you may consider using the raw bones to tame them instead, as they are a vital part of the later tech tree, can help you in combat, and may do as a food source in a pinch.

Never directly attack your (or anyone else's) wolves. It won't end well. Also feeding them their fallen kin is a Bad Idea.

If you don't have bones, of course, this is obviously a pointless consideration until you feel you are ready to fight skeletons, you create a mob grinder, or until the dawn greets you with a lucky stockpile of monster drops.

Regardless of the presence or absence of bones, you should focus on improving your food supply so you can grind the roughly 70 hemp plants you'll need to collect for a windmill and axles. Remember to only cut the top half of the hemp plant, as it will grow back much, much faster than growing a whole new hemp plant.

More in-depth guides cover advancing through the tech tree from here. One of the best guides is actually the front page of the BTW wiki, so take a peek at that to see where you should go next.

At this point you're mostly settled in, so your survival is entirely dependent on you.

Some considerations for your next goal: a compass is nice for finding the original spawn point. Building a road back to the original spawn may help you find your way back to wherever it is you settled if you die. If you've died a few times, there are good odds you have no idea where either point actually is until you build a compass and/or a map.

You will also soon want a nether portal to continue climbing the tech tree. More diamonds are therefore in order, as Hardcore Buckets does not allow for the bucket method of building such a portal. Just make sure your nether portal is someplace secured from the outside world. Optimally, nothing (except you) comes out, nothing (except you) should go in.

That's basically it!

Feedback is appreciated, as well as any other tips for absolute, complete nooblets.
Last edited by Nekhs on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/nekhs.
It's usually on sometime between 12AM-3:30AM CST.
Sorry if I don't immediately reply in chat, I'm usually too busy playing the game to notice.
Husbag3

Re: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Surviving Better Than Wolve

Post by Husbag3 »

You've got a great and in depth guide there!
I just thought I'd add that it can sometimes be viable to make a gold hoe rather than a diamond one; at the earlier stages of the tech tree diamond is far more of a valuable resource.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

One addition I would make is that digging a hole to spend the night in can be dangerous when you emerge - safer to build a single block dirt tower with a 3x3 cross on top for spider proofing and space to place a workbench/oven
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

Mom is in the habit of building hobbit holes with glass windows, so that works for her, but yes, I agree that is a potential problem. Creepers, slimes, spiders ... pretty much anything can kill you if you're not careful, so a tower is nice. Only problem is the food used in pillaring, but it might save your life so ... tradeoffs. I like digging a hole (although I'm not yet in the habit of building any shelter for the night whatsoever!) because then there's something to do while I wait out the night, where pillaring does not have that advantage.

I wasn't sure what changes BTW had made to gold, whether it smelted up into ingots or if you'd need eighteen gold, too. So that's something I should have researched more, but I did contemplate adding it to the guide, thanks!

Gold tools: Actually useful in a pinch. Who'dathunk.
Sorry if I don't immediately reply in chat, I'm usually too busy playing the game to notice.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Bows are also very useful, and you should probably get one if you can. They're great for dealing with tree camping skeletons and creepers. They do about as much damage as iron swords too.
wirer

Post by wirer »

For Hemp Growing, fences and cobble walls also work just fine. sunlight still shines through them. not too sure about things like glass panes and other similar placings, though.
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

So another tip I think I'll throw in here: Don't use wooden doors for anything if you want to live. My mining operation just got compromised because I was lazy and just put in a door, while for my farm I used wool blocks.

And now I'm dead miles and miles away.
wirer

Post by wirer »

Gates work wonders and are cheaper than doors. just beware skeletons.

For the slightly more funny way, Piston doors are fun. But those are under slightly advanced gameplay. not impossible for bgeinners though. Door circuits are fairly easy to setup, and if you are using a guide anyway, might as well learn how to get the most out of your resources.

Last option: Barricade your building and claw your way out every time you want to leave. block breaking is a pain or waste of durability, but it works. block-based doors are definitely safer than wood/iron doors and gates, save a spontaneous explosion.
ion

Post by ion »

make a compass and a map (max zoomed out) in early stages and start mapping the surroundings, places some torches or blocks on hills or mountains pointing to your spawn.once you do that and know the biomes around you, it's easier to find the way back home if the hardcore spawn kicks in. also mapping and hunting goes along together so you'll get back with knowledge and full of meat
NotEvenOdd

Post by NotEvenOdd »

Well written and informative. Thanks!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

wirer wrote:Gates work wonders and are cheaper than doors. just beware skeletons.

For the slightly more funny way, Piston doors are fun. But those are under slightly advanced gameplay. not impossible for bgeinners though. Door circuits are fairly easy to setup, and if you are using a guide anyway, might as well learn how to get the most out of your resources.

Last option: Barricade your building and claw your way out every time you want to leave. block breaking is a pain or waste of durability, but it works. block-based doors are definitely safer than wood/iron doors and gates, save a spontaneous explosion.
Gates are going to get fixed. Don't rely on anything that moves and is made of wood or you may get a rather nasty surprise one of these updates.
Better is the enemy of Good
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

Thanks for all the feedback and advice!

I agree that bows are useful weapons - if you happen to come across string.

Mom only had two string so she made a fishing pole instead. If you can fish without lag and/or shooting yourself from raw boredom, that's an additional food source I skipped since string is one of those things you most likely are going to have to do combat for.

Incidentally, having a chicken guest in your house almost guarantees you'll get the first shot on any spiders clustered outside. Until you get a chicken coop, consider letting the chicken live inside your operation. Just try not to accidentally punch it/axe it/mine its skull.

One other option for early-game iron: shears, to collect string so you don't have to fight spiders for theirs.

Since there are now cobwebs everywhere, it's an almost-viable option. Then again, you only really need five string for basically everything a complete beginner would care about so ... probably not. Just get a bunch of axes and make sure the spider you choose to antagonize is the only thing around that wants to eat your face.

If you do for some reason go the shears route, save it for after getting the hoe.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wait. Bonemeal can be used on mushrooms?????
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

Oh dear - giant mushrooms aren't a thing anymore?

Dammit I should have researched that more.

Sorry!

Edit: Actually on further research of hardcore bone and the changelog, I don't see anything saying giant mushrooms can't still be grown. It's suggested, since bonemeal doesn't auto-grow the more mature version of most plants, but it's not outright stated in the changelog or the hardcore bone section of the wiki whether mushrooms are affected. :\

Someone with resources go verify this for me?

You need a pretty big, dark room to make a giant mushroom in, or mycellium.

Edit 2: Nothing in the changelog specifies that giant mushrooms now auto-sprout from mycelium either, or if it does it doesn't use the word mycelium. :(

I'm really stumped since I just lost all my bones and my will to live on my server last night.

I guess I could try it in creative, but where's the fun in that?
Last edited by Nekhs on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

AFAIK giant mushrooms grow naturally on mycellium...
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Avoid desert biomes- snowy and hilly areas are a hard start, but at least there's wood and food.

I'd probably recommend being a nomadic player until you collect enough iron for a farm (hemp seeds+chicken->eggs).
You don't really want to spend more than 3 nights in one area as a hunter-gatherer, as you're competing with the zombies for food.

Hunting with a stone axe is rather crude- the best way I found is to jump strike, then quickly swing again- about 90% of the time this kills it straight off. No more chasing after food.

Until you get a sword keep 2 axes next to each other on your hotbar- you can quickly switch over if one breaks during combat.

Edit- check for skeleton drops if you're looking for a bow, I've found 2 sat on the ground so far.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Mud

Post by Mud »

Shengji wrote:One addition I would make is that digging a hole to spend the night in can be dangerous when you emerge - safer to build a single block dirt tower with a 3x3 cross on top for spider proofing and space to place a workbench/oven
Feels like this process would consume a lot more hunger and tool durability depending on how high you build it.

I generally dig holes in my nomadic phase and cap them off with a trapdoor. So long as you hunker down ontop of a hill or near water, you shouldn't have any issue. Also never dig your hole under tree cover or overhangs that can protect nearby monsters from the morning sun.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, you need mycelium to grow giant mushrooms. Bonemeal does squat on them.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Mud wrote: Feels like this process would consume a lot more hunger and tool durability depending on how high you build it.
6 blocks is plenty high enough, and use dirt so you can knock them down with your fists if you must - or use the nearest tree of course, but to be honest if jumping 6 times is enough to kill you in the night, you need to spend more effort collecting food! If you don't want a cluster of mobs at the bottom and the easy resources they leave behind, then 12 blocks I think only attracts spiders, and they will kill themselves constantly falling, safest way I know of to get a bow or fishing rod in the early game!
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

Thank you, FC! I'll update that comment when I get home so as to avoid confusion. Could someone update the wiki on Hardcore Bone to include that if it's not already there and I'm just blind?

I'm doing this post from my phone and I've never updated a wiki before or I would.

/swoons btw. Never thought I'd get feedback from anybody important, much less The Man himself!

Edit: updated it from the phone instead.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Another small thing to add. If you're thinking of settling down for a bit and have found a good hunting ground, building outside of spawn distance and making a small path back to the hunting grounds can greatly extend it's usability.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

If you find yourself backed into a corner without a decent weapon, placing 2 blocks in front of you [vertically] is surprisingly effective...
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

I just realized my previous comment there sounds like I don't appreciate everyone else's feedback. I really do!

What I meant to say is that when I first posted this I honestly didn't expect anyone to comment on it, and then I get a whole bunch of people responding, and then a correction from FC himself.

Mom wants me to write a guide for splitting labor on a sever so everyone can survive together more effectively. I am dubious as to whether I can effectively do so, but that'll be the next thing I tackle.

(See, because the guy who is completely new to MC has continued to die horribly on his own despite all the long-distance advice I've tried to give him.)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Just remember, when splitting labour on a co-op server to make sure every one has an interesting game - so many people divide it up like jobs, which ends up with some poor saps being lumberjacks or stripminers
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

That's actually Mom's suggestion - assign the poor guy chores like lumberjacking and such.

Then again that's pretty much all we can trust him with: more complex tasks end up with him dying, ending up in the middle of nowhere, and crying for me to use my admin powers to save him - which I refuse to do. -.-

I love HC Spawn but it does have some trouble for absolute noobs.