szmbiont's minecraft world

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
szmbiont

szmbiont's minecraft world

Post by szmbiont »

Maybe some of you have seen me posting in the minecraft forums oder even here. Discussing, showing my creations in minecraft, posting pics and videos.
Finally i created my own thread to post als stuff in one place. Showing the minecraft world i created. I hope you all enjoy it...

My newest building, a fully automated elevator. 4 floors. Each floor is reachable from all other floors with just one button. I worked on it for about 2 days now.

Older Videos:
Spoiler
Show
Treefarm, elevator to flying island, gate
If you have any questions, just ask. I'm happy to answer or help...
Battosay

Re: szmbiont's minecraft world

Post by Battosay »

Very nice !
Maybe some in-depth explanations ? What did you choose to use for the wiring, the size of it, stuff like that.
Danyo

Post by Danyo »

That looks very impressive, I would make something simular, but then I saw the amount redstone wiring you did, and at most I dabble with redstone untill it does what I want, something like that I'd never manage :<
szmbiont

Post by szmbiont »

well basicly what i have is a rs nor latch for elevator up / down movement
Spoiler
Show
Furthermore three (third is not visible in this pic) vertical redstone torch ladders or what u want to call it to bring the pressed buttons up to the top of the elevator where all of the logic is located.
It goes all the way from the bottom of the wolrd up to the top. I have 2 of this vertical wires cause i can adress 4 floors with it. (3 wires for 8 floors ect.). The third one is to show when ever a button is pressed.
Spoiler
Show
In the next 2 Pics you can see 2 rs nor latches which are saving the input from the two vertical wires and two data flip flops which are saving the current position of the elevator
Spoiler
Show
2 RS NOR Latches to save the data from pressed button

2 D Flip Flops to save the adress where the platform currently is
Up to now it is only the basics, next is the logic which determins based on the pressed button and the current location of the elevator whether it has to go up or down. Also this logic activates the detector blocks based on the destination of the elevator (pressed button).
Spoiler
Show
In this image is one condition for downward movement of the elevator. In total i have 3 conditions for downward and also 3 conditions for upward movement.

This are the conditions for the break. It is activated by detector blocks in compination with the destination of the elevator.
This is all the stuff only at the top level of the elevator. At each floor there is also a small room where the pressed buttons are encode into the adress of a floor (for example top floor = 00 ; first floor = 01 ...)
Spoiler
Show
I think thats about it. I have not really planned ahead and just started building. So i could only test stuff while building and so in the video you can see a bit more redstone stuff than needed. Also there are for sure ways to do this more effective, but i don't do this to build the best elevator or the most effectiv wiring or something. I do it for fun and without planning ahead. So this concludes often in kinda chaotic and unstructured wiring.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Looking good :) I like your system for selecting floors.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

was trying to build something similar but i kinda gave up but now i read this i think i have to find out how a D-flip works exactly tomorrow or something.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Very nice work man, makes mine look like childs play.
Devalish

Post by Devalish »

This is what i was trying to go for, and was failing at. It looks very nice, and makes me wish i could do this myself.

Go you!
Any post or reply from me is based on the knowledge and thought patterns relative to my mind; they are subjective.
I don't deal in absolutes as I believe in learning. My every action is a result of calculation and choice.
Senjai

Post by Senjai »

Good job! Very impressive.

As a side note though, thank god for the mute button ;)
The person who risks nothing, Does nothing, has nothing, and is nothing. They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live.
Only the person who risks can be free
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

Awesome world! I love the flying rock with the windmills on it!
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
Jimbob926

Post by Jimbob926 »

I am still reAly confused by this and would be very thankfull if someone did a video explaining it. I am quite good with redstone I just find it hard to understand these pictures.
szmbiont

Post by szmbiont »

Ok, let me try to explain this more in depths.
I have 4 floors. I'm going to call theme here 1 - 4 (Mine 1, Mine 2, First Floor, Maintenance from video)
The idea is to give an adress to each floor. I used 2 bit for this cause 2 bits are able to adress 4 floors

00 = floor 1 (maintenance)
01 = floor 2 (First Floor)
10 = floor 3 (Underground, Mine 1)
11 = floor 4 (Bottom, Mine 2)

At each floor I have 4 Buttons. 3 to go to the other floors and one to call the elevator to the floor. Each of this buttons is connected to the data wires (vertical redstone torch ladders, 2 bit data) in the way the floors are adressed. so you press the button for floor 3, the button is connectet to only the first of both data wires so you have the 1 0 on them.
This are the basics for the normal floors so i know the destination for the elevator.

At the top level I have in total 4 memory units, in my case 2 rs nor latches and 2 d flip flops, 4 rs nor latches should also work. This memory units are used to save the current position of the elevator and the pressed button.
For Example the elevator ist currently at floor 2 and you press the button for floor 4. In the first 2 flip flops is the adress for floor 2 saved cause this is the current position of the elevator (in this case 01). The 2 latches saved the pressed button (in this case 11). Based on this information, the current position and the destination, you can find out with direction the elevator has to go (up or down).
For this one case (position 01, destination 11) for downward movement would be (p1' * p2 * d1 * d2) (p = position, d = destination). if this term is true the output for downwardmovement of the elevator will be set to true.
I don't know whether you familiar with boolean algebra. In total i had 12 of this conditions ( 6 for up, 6 for down). With some rearrangement of the terms you can get rid of all the ANDs and shrink it down to only 3 conditions for each direction.

Now your elevator will allready go in the correct direction but will allways travel up to the top or down to the bottom level. There is no way you can stop in between, yet. So you need at the both middle floors detector blocks so you can determin when the elevator arrives. This detector blocks have also some conditions to activate the brake of the pully. For example the detectorblock for floor 1 (dbf1) has the condition (d1' * d2 * dbf1). So whenever this term is true the output for the break is also true and the elevator will stop. Only problem here ist thet in minecraft redstone is kinda slow, so as you can see in the video, each floor has to detector blocks.

I think thats about it. This is how my elevator works, at least in the video. At the moment im still working on it, to add additional detectorblocks for each level so you can determine the position of the elevator while in use. Also adding a queue for pressed buttons. This why it would be multiplayer compatible (pressing multiple buttons at a time and so on). Also working on doors which only opens whether the elevator is at that floor or not so you can't drop down to death.

Hope i could help and clarify some stuff...
Jimbob926

Post by Jimbob926 »

I still don't quite understand how the elevator, when the call button is pressed, compares the location of the elevator to the location of the button that has been pressed and therefore decides whether it should go up or down.
szmbiont

Post by szmbiont »

You are familiar with boolean algebra, logic, complex circuits? If not i'm not really sure how to explain it.

If both flip flops for the position of the elevator are off (0) and both latches for the pressed button are on (1) the elevator shut go down. I think thats easy to understand so far.
So all you need now is a circuit that puts out an on signal (1) wenn the top conditions are true. So for this one case it is a circuit like this:

a not gate for the first bit of the position of the elevator (p1')
a not gate for the second bit of the position of the elevator (p2')
the first bit of the destination (d1)
the second bit of the destination (d2)

all this 4 inputs are wired into a AND gate and the output is connected with the gearbox or a rs nor latch for the gearbox or whatever
witch would make the logic term (p1' * p2' * d1 * d2) this is the pure logic behind the decition making whether the elevater should go up or down.
advtech

Post by advtech »

Do you think you can help me create this? But instead of using basic redstone, I wanna use Intergrated Redstone and Wireless Redstone to simplify matters. I would be very thankful for the help as I am trying hard to figure out how to make this work. I'll give you links to the other mods if you need.
David367th

Post by David367th »

This makes me wish I could take a college course for Redstone :D
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

I find it ironic that no one uses elevator music in their elevator vids.
Banpower1

Post by Banpower1 »

David367th wrote:This makes me wish I could take a college course for Redstone :D
You can actually, its just not called redstone anymore, but its still possible, i think you can take courses in boolean algebra, which should help you, or advanced technology (i have something called Design and Technology, where we learn about it, and I'm only 17 (no skipping classes or anything))
else for some self study, this page + good logic skills: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/RS_NO ... _NOR_latch
at least thats how i learned it, and i think i would be able to make an elevator like his, maybe not very compact, but thats beside the point :P
David367th

Post by David367th »

Banpower1 wrote:
David367th wrote:This makes me wish I could take a college course for Redstone :D
You can actually, its just not called redstone anymore, but its still possible, i think you can take courses in boolean algebra, which should help you, or advanced technology (i have something called Design and Technology, where we learn about it, and I'm only 17 (no skipping classes or anything))
else for some self study, this page + good logic skills: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/RS_NO ... _NOR_latch
at least thats how i learned it, and i think i would be able to make an elevator like his, maybe not very compact, but thats beside the point :P
What I said is now untrue, I figured it out on my own: I made a self-building/repairing bridge :D

Begginer stuff.
Last edited by David367th on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
advtech

Post by advtech »

Ummm, Not to be rude. But Can someone please help me build this elevator using WirelessRedstone and Integrated Redstone
Elsys656

Post by Elsys656 »

So I just created an encoder/4 button panel that's far more compact than the original and thought to myself it might be useful to anybody who's trying to attempt this. With that said I'll a video I still don't really know how to make red stone diagrams :O.

The buttons will read 1 4 or 00 11 it was way easier to wire it this way you can either interpret the signal differently in your signal to the detector blocks or simply label
differently. 3 2 10 01

This should explain the process fairly quickly.
Hopefully this helps other people trying to build this elevator as well.
Elsys656

Post by Elsys656 »

Well I have this mostly set up now break conditions work great the only thing I'm lost on is the up/down movement so we need individual conditions to set direction to each floor? I assume these circuits also reset the latches?