Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gunnerman21

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Dinnerbone wrote:The longer you spend in one area, the harder it gets.
Wouldn't this be a boost for our mob traps? And if I really am thinking straight, it goes along with the BTW storyline, that the world wants you out, so it sends more mobs to try to kill you.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Gunnerman21 wrote:
Dinnerbone wrote:The longer you spend in one area, the harder it gets.
Wouldn't this be a boost for our mob traps? And if I really am thinking straight, it goes along with the BTW storyline, that the world wants you out, so it sends more mobs to try to kill you.
He did however say by harder he meant in an AI sense, not an increase in mob spawns. I am curious though on what kind of effect it could have/ how it could be accomplished.

Also I'm glad Dinnerbone seems to be stepping up to the plate. Some of the features he's been tweeting don't sound half bad to me. Horses are still just a bonus to me, I like the concept of them more than an actual use.
Gears

Post by Gears »

Dinnerbone finally seems to be gaining some grasp on game design. While his features are still a bit iffy, he genuinely seems to want to add more challenge back into the game.

For the first time in a LONG time I will say this: I'm looking forward to the next snapshot.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Eramus_the_5th

Post by Eramus_the_5th »

I always look forward to the snapshots. Even if I hate the features or changes they are making, they are usually interesting to mess around with when I have nothing better to do.

I, before hardcore hunger, would keep my farm going in 1 instance, playing the snapshot in another.
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

@ScorpionGaming wrote: @Dinnerbone Crucial work! Only, I dont give a shit about balance nor difficulty in this game, luv. Please work on the stuff I want because I'm a whiny stupid kid.
Dumbasses like this guy shouldn't be allowed to be called part of the community.

I actually like what he has in mind for dynamic difficulty: mobs getting smarter instead of just having to hit them more times.
@Dinnerbone wrote: @ScorpionGaming Okay! I'll let everybody know.
I really hope he was being sarcastic. If not, someone please tell him why this motherfucker shouldn't be deciding what to implement.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Yeah, thats saracasm dude. I really want to believe this is going to be a positive move, but based on the past updates I don't know if I have the faith in them anymore. Dinnerbone definitely seems to be trying to go down the right road though, so I hope he can prove me wrong.

Sorry to be a negative nelly :p
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Making the early game easier? How would that work? Vanilla is already the easiest game I've ever played. In fact, Minecraft should just start at night, that would be sooo much more fun. In BTW maybe not though :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

Gilberreke wrote:Making the early game easier? How would that work? Vanilla is already the easiest game I've ever played. In fact, Minecraft should just start at night, that would be sooo much more fun. In BTW maybe not though :)
Vanilla Survival Instructions:

Step 1: punch 2 wooden logs.

Step 2: punch 3 sheep.

Step 3: you now have a method of surviving the first 100 nights.
jonny_AB

Post by jonny_AB »

Dinnerbone wants to add seasons to minecraft, with longer and shorter days/nights, and a year (full cycle) amounting up to a week irl time.

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/3 ... 0560293888
"What's the meaning of life?"
Though your life’s given meaning by you
I’ll say what I’ve found to be true -
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
(Or alternatively, “forty-two.”)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Now THAT I'd like to play around with design wise.

Even with HC Movement alone, I see it adding up to some win. I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of implementing it myself into BTW, but if Mojang does the basic work for me, then I'm all for it ;)
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

I agree seasons would be a very cool feature, unfortunately it would probably mean FC would have to fix it.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Well, considering FC just said he liked the concept, I think it would be less 'fixing' and more 'improving it far beyond the scope of whatever basic form mojang put it in'

Less negative, more positive. See the difference? ;)
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Not doubting the concept- just mojangs ability to properly implement. Being realistic is far from being negative.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

OldMarriedDude wrote:Not doubting the concept- just mojangs ability to properly implement. Being realistic is far from being negative.
Dinnerbone is starting to show more hope on his design choices, so it's also possible he'll implement it properly.
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

I wonder what drawbacks and benefits seasons would bring. I remember there being a seasons mod by Nandonalt. Exploring "cold" biomes during winter such as the tundra and tiaga would kill steve and like wise for the desert during the summer season unless you were in a shady spot (making tents or any desert shelter with a roof important). Fall would produce a higher yeild in wheat per crop and in the spring tall grass and flowers would randomly spawn on grass.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

It sounds like he may be getting bored. I can only speak from a novice coder with next to no experience, but the most recent additions (excluding mechanics rewrites) seem relatively simple to implement - whereas things like seasons and mobs getting more dangerous the longer you stay in an area sound more challenging.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Hehe, I didn't mean you were being negative, I was more referring to the connotation of the word 'fix' as being slightly negative in contrast to 'improving'

*shrugs* meh, was just trying to go for a cheap joke, guess I still need more practice. XD

But yeah, I can definitely see some potential to this whole seasons mechanic. Of course, if all mojang were to do with it was just give us longer/shorter days, I feel that it would be a terrible waste of time as while interesting, just that alone would be of little value in vanilla. In BTW it would be a little interesting, but aside from that, still not much. So here's hoping it turns out for the better. *crosses fingers*
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I don't really see seasons ever being relevant. Several mods have attempted to change the lengths of the day and have been thwarted by the structure of the codebase for that cycle. Based on the bugs Mojang has reported as "too difficult to fix" I don't see them pulling it off in this case.
Better is the enemy of Good
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

DaveYanakov wrote:I don't really see seasons ever being relevant. Several mods have attempted to change the lengths of the day and have been thwarted by the structure of the codebase for that cycle. Based on the bugs Mojang has reported as "too difficult to fix" I don't see them pulling it off in this case.
Its fine by me that mojang wastes their time on this and not on screwing up more gameplay.
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

Lets convince them to start developing expansion packs. I mean, the past couple updates were pretty much DLC :
1.4 AKA Pretty Scary DLC
1.5 Analog / Mo' Redstone DLC

That way the core game no longer has to be screwed up and is probably also very appealing to the masses! Perhaps it will even ensure a standard of quality for mojang. Win-win?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
~Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Seasons:

I Don't mind that idea too much, as long as it actually alters the mechanics too. Just some pointless cosmetic feature i think will only serve to annoy people when their pretty castle becomes half covered in snow. I think the only way this could work to make the game more interesting is to force the player to avoid the cold (i.e: Don't Starve)

Mob difficulty increases with time:

Dumb Dumb Dumb. Why do this? It doesn't make sense. Sure, you can BS some reason that "Because you are in the area, they learn more about you" but we all know they spawn randomly in the dark. Each hostile mob is brand new. The danger should be something that builds organically, not by tweaking some numbers. I think a better mechanic would be to have mobs like zombies attract other zombies and influence their direction of travel. This way, you could get an effective horde mechanic going. The bigger you build, the more attention you attract. The difficulty should be a result of your actions, not because you dug a hole and left the game running for a few hours.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

finite8 wrote:Seasons:

I Don't mind that idea too much, as long as it actually alters the mechanics too. Just some pointless cosmetic feature i think will only serve to annoy people when their pretty castle becomes half covered in snow. I think the only way this could work to make the game more interesting is to force the player to avoid the cold (i.e: Don't Starve)
Don't starve isn't a 3d game though. To avoid cold you have to basically insulate yourself and/or generate heat. Since MC doesn't have finite liquid model trying to simulate finite liquid in every block of atmosphere as well as heat transfer seems somewhat unlikely.

How could you effectively simulate heat loss otherwise. A person on top of a mountain in a winter should freeze but what if you're in a cave beneath the surface? Should a person at the bottom of a ravine lose the same amount of heat as somebody on top of a mountain? If obstructing the sky is enough to provide insulation in winter all you really need to do to warm yourself is levitate some wood planks over your head with no need to construct walls.

Is there anyway Wind deflection and windchill, which is a real threat in the wild, can be simulated ?
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Don't starve isn't a 3d game though. To avoid cold you have to basically insulate yourself and/or generate heat. Since MC doesn't have finite liquid model trying to simulate finite liquid in every block of atmosphere as well as heat transfer seems somewhat unlikely.

How could you effectively simulate heat loss otherwise. A person on top of a mountain in a winter should freeze but what if you're in a cave beneath the surface? Should a person at the bottom of a ravine lose the same amount of heat as somebody on top of a mountain? If obstructing the sky is enough to provide insulation in winter all you really need to do to warm yourself is levitate some wood planks over your head with no need to construct walls.

Is there anyway Wind deflection and windchill, which is a real threat in the wild, can be simulated ?
Decided this is worth discussing. Have created a new topic to keep it out of this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7241
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

Seasons sound cool. I hope they take this opportunity to also increases the length of a Minecraft day/night cycle. In Minecraft it seems as if it's constantly switching between day and night. I hope they double or triple the length of a day. It feels like I hardly have time to build or explore during the day before I have to go inside and strip mine or something.

It makes sense for mobs to get harder over time. In the game you start out helpless and eventually get stronger as you craft stronger weapons and armor and fortify the area with walls and torches. It seems to make sense to have easier monsters at the start and harder monsters later on. Hopefully they won't make cave spiders much harder, though. °~°
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Don't starve isn't a 3d game though. To avoid cold you have to basically insulate yourself and/or generate heat. Since MC doesn't have finite liquid model trying to simulate finite liquid in every block of atmosphere as well as heat transfer seems somewhat unlikely.

I think you're making it way too complicated. How long has it been since the player was near a heat source? If it's past a certain amount of time, some status effect takes place. It can be as simple as that. 3D, finite liquid models, height, and whether or not the player is in an enclosed space/can't see the sky aren't necessary for it at all.