Looking for a good C++ compiler

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Confector de Caeli

Looking for a good C++ compiler

Post by Confector de Caeli »

Much as Java is great, I like C++ much better as a programming language and have been writing some simple programs in it. However, I keep running into issues with compiling consistently. I have tried various compilers and have not really found one I like. Does anyone know of an easy-to-use, reliable, and preferably free C++ compiler that they would recommend? Also, if you could, please provide instructions for dealing with that compiler's nuances and quirks in setup because I somehow always find a way to screw up setting up a compiler. Thank you in advance!
Spoiler
Show
I no longer merely play Minecraft. I play Minecraft 2: Better than Wolves. Notch is a genius, but, to me, he gave up on Minecraft conceptually in mid-Beta. Now my game developer is FlowerChild, and I trust him totally with my gaming experience.
warmist

Re: Looking for a good C++ compiler

Post by warmist »

Wow you must be doing something strange to screw up a compiler. Usually you don't change anything there. Also there is almost 0 use from C++ compiler alone. As a suggestion i would give either Microsoft c++ compiler (included in MSVC++ studio or stand alone) or MinGW suite (this includes a lot of stuff that is required to be able to program on windows). If you are using linux than there should be a version of "GCC" in the package manager. Either way I suggest searching for an IDE too. Some people don't use them but IMHO the code-completion, syntax highlighting, integrated documentation are all there to help you.

So some links:
0player

Post by 0player »

For MinGW, there is also glorious wxDev-C++. I would recommend Clang but I'm not sure if there is Windows version, maybe it is Mac/Linux only.
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

Gnu c++ compiler
also called gpp

Main compiler used by Linux and was many optimizations for specific hardware and completely free. Since it is open source and used extensively throughout Linux, it is very well developed. If you are running Linux it is probably already installed. If you are on windows, there are all in one packages to install it, but as I don't use windows you'll have to find them yourself.

edit - I would also suggest eclipse ide. It is the most fully featured ide I have found for almost any language. There IA a download on eclipse.org for a version with the cpp plug in installed.

edit2 - cygwin is the all in one package I referred and although I haven't used it, these look like good Instructions.

http://www.horstmann.com/ccc/help/cygwin/install.html
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
Confector de Caeli

Post by Confector de Caeli »

Thanks guys. I was already using CodeBlocks IDE, I just always screw up on the matter of compilers, but I will have a look at all the stuff you suggested. It definitely looks interesting. I probably should have mentioned in the OP that I run Windows.
Spoiler
Show
I no longer merely play Minecraft. I play Minecraft 2: Better than Wolves. Notch is a genius, but, to me, he gave up on Minecraft conceptually in mid-Beta. Now my game developer is FlowerChild, and I trust him totally with my gaming experience.
Gears

Post by Gears »

I've always been a fan of MinGW for CodeBlocks, namely due to me being able to just install it on an external hard drive and work wherever.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Confector de Caeli wrote:Thanks guys. I was already using CodeBlocks IDE, I just always screw up on the matter of compilers, but I will have a look at all the stuff you suggested. It definitely looks interesting. I probably should have mentioned in the OP that I run Windows.
I would say just try out Visual C++ Express out. As much as I like to run to open source alternatives, Visual Studio is the best IDE found. In my experience I don't have consistency issues with compilers or linkers. What I have troubles with is writing code that compiles and links properly. :)
Don't take it personally compared with Java, .NET, and pretty much everything else, C++ is a big-boy language. I mean that in it's doesn't hold your hand, figure things out, or do things for you. Oh and don't expect error message to be intelligible half the time either.

For the record, C++ is my favorite language.