4.65 Spoiler Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Rianaru

Re: 4.65 Spoiler Discussion

Post by Rianaru »

Yeah, after I found my chickens gone for the third time, I've decided to not keep any until I can get the willpower together to make a secure chicken coop. On another note, does anyone know how HC lactation works? Tried searching for it, couldn't find anything. None of my cows have produced any milk, they're definitely eating the grass, tried with large herd and small herd, etc. Is there something I'm missing?
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

Rianaru wrote:Yeah, after I found my chickens gone for the third time, I've decided to not keep any until I can get the willpower together to make a secure chicken coop. On another note, does anyone know how HC lactation works? Tried searching for it, couldn't find anything. None of my cows have produced any milk, they're definitely eating the grass, tried with large herd and small herd, etc. Is there something I'm missing?
It just takes a long time. They have to eat grass several times before they can be milked again. So, get a bunch of cows (like at least 10) and their milk production *might* be enough for you to live off of it.
0player

Post by 0player »

When was poison effect added to red mushrooms? It was rather SUDDEN when I explored mineshafts, got hungry and ate a bunch :).
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:
It just takes a long time. They have to eat grass several times before they can be milked again. So, get a bunch of cows (like at least 10) and their milk production *might* be enough for you to live off of it.
Strange. I've had that group of cows for several in game weeks with a fairly large pen, so I didn't think that time would be an issue...I guess I'll go do some testing on individual cows and see what I get
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Make sure you stay within range so that they are still loaded? Like BobSlingblade679 says it does take quite a while, but they should be ready for milking every few days in my experience. In my current SSP world my cows are locked in the cow-cave so I'm unable to test it atm.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

When entering the Nether regular mobs always spawn right next to the portal and attack me. Is that a feature I missed or something? Or is it because of this release?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

I'm not entirely sure in which release this might have changed, but I've noticed that walking (or sprinting) on farmland no longer reverts it to dirt. Jumping still does though.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

I think it was changed a long time ago in Vmc
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Itamarcu wrote:When entering the Nether regular mobs always spawn right next to the portal and attack me. Is that a feature I missed or something? Or is it because of this release?
They don't spawn tehre, they walked through the portal in the overworld, and were waiting at the portal when you got to the nether. Don't built your portal out in the open and mobs won't walk through it when you're doing other things.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Mason11987 wrote: They don't spawn there, they walked through the portal in the overworld, and were waiting at the portal when you got to the nether. Don't built your portal out in the open and mobs won't walk through it when you're doing other things.

Oh, okay, thanks.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Guys...again, the MC wiki is your friend to check whether a feature is vanilla or mod related. Cluttering up a thread like this with vanilla observations, people telling you it's vanilla behavior, and then you thanking them for telling you it's vanilla behavior, isn't particularly helpful and is rather painful to slog through for anyone reading the thread.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Guys...again, the MC wiki is your friend to check whether a feature is vanilla or mod related. Cluttering up a thread like this with vanilla observations, people telling you it's vanilla behavior, and then you thanking them for telling you it's vanilla behavior, isn't particularly helpful and is rather painful to slog through for anyone reading the thread.
I suspect a number of these are people that finally gave up peaceful with the recent changes.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
damianthedamned

Post by damianthedamned »

I love this mod so much... i've never had so much fun on MC since I first pick minecraft up around alpha. but just about anything I wanted to talk about so far has been brought up lol now for the discussion, I know that mob heads don't drop normally but i've looted a skeleton head and a zombie head so far. I'm guessing this was added earlier in the mod? however I don't seem to see anything on it in the changelog. sorry if I'm cluttering up the forum. delete it if its in the wrong place

edit:
I will say that mining coal was downright tedious before. now I'm trying to find it just so i can mine without dying and not complaining when i find that once-ugly coal lol.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

damianthedamned wrote:I love this mod so much... i've never had so much fun on MC since I first pick minecraft up around alpha. but just about anything I wanted to talk about so far has been brought up lol now for the discussion, I know that mob heads don't drop normally but i've looted a skeleton head and a zombie head so far. I'm guessing this was added earlier in the mod? however I don't seem to see anything on it in the changelog. sorry if I'm cluttering up the forum. delete it if its in the wrong place

edit:
I will say that mining coal was downright tedious before. now I'm trying to find it just so i can mine without dying and not complaining when i find that once-ugly coal lol.
Wrong. It's a vanilla feature.... This is starting to get really annoying.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
SpaceGuyR

Post by SpaceGuyR »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:Wrong. It's a vanilla feature.... This is starting to get really annoying.
Mob heads other than Wither Skeletons don't drop without BTW. (v4.31)
0player

Post by 0player »

SpaceGuyR wrote:
TheGatesofLogic wrote:Wrong. It's a vanilla feature.... This is starting to get really annoying.
Mob heads other than Wither Skeletons don't drop without BTW. (v4.31)
Better Than Wolves: changes make sense so much you think it's vanilla :).
opa2

Post by opa2 »

Hello, lurker here.
Just wanted to throw out a few thoughts on the hardcore iron experience.
The beginning of the game (and each respawn) offers some chalendge finally, instead of just being a creative mode with more time to break blocks. But sadly ends rather quickly because of the ease to get diamonds.
Ones you get your first iron pick the vanilla 15 minute quest for diamonds kicks in. You just strip mine a little and you got yourself diamond tools. That's a huge jump, kinda spoils the experience with the hardcore iron.
So yeah, probably not something that no one realized) just wanted to share the experience.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

opa2 wrote: Just wanted to throw out a few thoughts on the hardcore iron experience.........
So yeah, probably not something that no one realized) just wanted to share the experience.
This was my take aswell.... Untill I did my HCH nether work and long distance venture for a village. The diamond is more a milestone that allows you to address the next challenges as you need to focus on sustained food quickly. Several hours into this run I realize that food scarcity can become a MAJOR issue as time progresses. Exploration will yield enough to keep you moving, however leaving the area barren.

I opted for large biomes and the deserts are treacherous at that size! The sum of HC features in 4.65 are great at providing a satisfying "pressure" to advance.

TL;DR initially diamonds feel too numberous. However once you realize you have only so long to develop sustainable food sources before an area is picked clean, the diamonds are proper.
Confector de Caeli

Post by Confector de Caeli »

The changes this update makes definitely make sense. I am really enjoying playing it, especially with the constant threat of starvation over my head. The only thing that seemed a little awkward was the rapidity with which one is able to move on from iron to diamonds in the quasi-early game (if you find diamonds that is). I know that those above me are talking on a similar theme. Nonetheless, I really think that the feeling of a huge step forward technologically from upgrading to iron was a great idea. By the way, are the passive mobs frightened of you when you have an axe or sword out? Or are they just holding the grudge against for their fallen brethren longer than I expected?
Spoiler
Show
I no longer merely play Minecraft. I play Minecraft 2: Better than Wolves. Notch is a genius, but, to me, he gave up on Minecraft conceptually in mid-Beta. Now my game developer is FlowerChild, and I trust him totally with my gaming experience.
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

Confector de Caeli wrote:The only thing that seemed a little awkward was the rapidity with which one is able to move on from iron to diamonds in the quasi-early game (if you find diamonds that is).
In my first 4.65 world, I did about 20 minutes of branch mining and came up with 36 diamonds. It definitely felt a little weird, since I had just acquired my first iron pickaxe. Like you said though, getting to that first iron pickaxe and having a stable food supply are difficult obstacles to tackle in the first place. In my second world, I've avoided branch mining and stuck with caving. I don't find as many diamonds, but I get more iron and I have more fun. I will eventually get back to branch mining, but I'm putting it off just for the fun of it.
Confector de Caeli wrote:By the way, are the passive mobs frightened of you when you have an axe or sword out? Or are they just holding the grudge against for their fallen brethren longer than I expected?
I have not noticed this behavior. In my experience, the passive mobs run away for around 10 seconds and then they return to normal. I have noticed, however, that they don't like running away into the water, so killing mobs on the shore is fairly easy.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

savagelung wrote: In my first 4.65 world, I did about 20 minutes of branch mining and came up with 36 diamonds.
I find that really excessive man. Were you using a fortune enchant, or was that just a plain iron pick? Also, are you sure on that time value, or did it just feel like 20 minutes?

Anyone else seeing numbers like that? Could be a total fluke occurrence of course, but I find that way too high to be credible.
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

FlowerChild wrote:I find that really excessive man. Were you using a fortune enchant, or was that just a plain iron pick? Also, are you sure on that time value, or did it just feel like 20 minutes?
I probably should have mentioned in the OP that I had I got a Fortune II enchant on that iron pickaxe. I got the diamonds from a nearby desert temple.

That said, at some later point I went branch mining with an unenchanted diamond pickaxe (the iron pick had broken). I dug a branch 200 blocks long and then dug a second branch 200 blocks back to my main tunnel, and found 14 diamonds along the way. It is trivially easy to find diamonds if you ignore caves and dig your branches just above the lava layer (y=11).
Confector de Caeli

Post by Confector de Caeli »

FlowerChild wrote:
savagelung wrote: In my first 4.65 world, I did about 20 minutes of branch mining and came up with 36 diamonds.
I find that really excessive man. Were you using a fortune enchant, or was that just a plain iron pick? Also, are you sure on that time value, or did it just feel like 20 minutes?

Anyone else seeing numbers like that? Could be a total fluke occurrence of course, but I find that way too high to be credible.
Not that much, but I am getting pretty high numbers if I really go intense branch mining. Maybe ten-fifteen in half an hour? I think it just feels like I am getting a lot more diamonds than usual with the big changes to gold and iron ores making those resources scarce. I am used to having a few stacks of iron ingots in my base with only a few diamonds, but now they are pretty close to equal when it comes to mining output.
Spoiler
Show
I no longer merely play Minecraft. I play Minecraft 2: Better than Wolves. Notch is a genius, but, to me, he gave up on Minecraft conceptually in mid-Beta. Now my game developer is FlowerChild, and I trust him totally with my gaming experience.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Confector de Caeli wrote: Not that much, but I am getting pretty high numbers if I really go intense branch mining. Maybe ten-fifteen in half an hour? I think it just feels like I am getting a lot more diamonds than usual with the big changes to gold and iron ores making those resources scarce. I am used to having a few stacks of iron ingots in my base with only a few diamonds, but now they are pretty close to equal when it comes to mining output.
Fair enough. I'm mulling over some potential changes to diamonds, but will do an extensive play test on it once I'm done with this 1.5 update thang before making any decisions.

I'm not convinced, but have mentally flagged it as a potential issue to be investigated further.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Fair enough. I'm mulling over some potential changes to diamonds, but will do an extensive play test on it once I'm done with this 1.5 update thang before making any decisions.

I'm not convinced, but have mentally flagged it as a potential issue to be investigated further.
Be sure to look up all the subtleties regarding diamond spawning. The poster above still seems convinced that staying above the lava layer is best for mining, which is not true. There's tons of videos out there that show empiric values for certain versions of Minecraft. Last I checked, just below lava layer gave a much better yield.

It would suck if your balancing turned out to be affected by a misconception. I think mining below instead of above should give an increase of a few percent, not sure.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx