Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
devak

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by devak »

CrafterOfMines57 wrote:I... *sigh* https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/319937646673674241, they better not screw this up (even though I think it's only going in because thousands of people screamed "WE WANT HORSES!")
when i saw that horse, i died a little inside. cmon, the one feature MC is famous for is riding pigs.
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

Riding pigs was always gimmicky, especially before they added the carrot on a stick (which I feel like was relatively recent). They'd just wander aimlessly and while that was fun the first time (maybe), there was no real point to it. The only real use for the pigs (outside of BTW) was another source of meat.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

If I read Jeb's tweets correctly he got the guy from Mo'Creatures to do the horse for vMC
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Sage wrote:Well, from Jeb instagram: http://imgur.com/40zIsFn. Now pig can be considered almost "useless". At least, previously they provided a way of mid-game transport in an original manner, but it seems that they will be outclassed by the horses in this. Kinda sad.
Well at least the model looks pretty good, worst case scenario we just have to ignore them/flowerchild rips their functionality and they just become ambiance in our Rohan biome.

I kinda like the idea of an elusive horse that Steve can never catch but mocks him on his trusty swine.

EDIT: I'd love to see Mojang implement the ogres from Mo' creatures just for the reaction from the hordes.

Also, holy shit Mo' creatures has tameable dragons, I know it's probably completely game breaking and doesn't fit in but it's fucking dragons!
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

Xeo wrote:Well at least the model looks pretty good, worst case scenario we just have to ignore them/flowerchild rips their functionality and they just become ambiance in our Rohan biome.
Nah. I don't think FC would either leave them alone or just rip their functionality - see what he did with wolves: they're resource producers intended to be thrown in the dark until you decide to "harvest" their delicious meat, as livestock. If he deals with horses, expect something similar: they would stop being gimmick pets to have an ingame purpose, tied with other mechanics.
(Or at least, we would drop them in mills to make sausage. Okay, I admit, I'm hungry.)

Of course, if he deals with them at all - I don't think so, since the mod is being finished.
--Who do you think you are, War?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, the horses are a total "whatever" for me. I find it amusing I may have preemptively given them a purpose through the greater need for exploration in the mod in finding a village, through HC Movement, and the removal of speed potions, when they're likely to be fairly useless in vanilla once the novelty factor wears off, but that's about it.

Unless they're totally retarded (which is of course a distinct possibility), I'll likely just put a meat drop on them (I'm pretty sure Mojang doesn't have the sense of humor or fortitude to do that), give that a tasty sandwich recipe, and perhaps balance the associated breeding item if need be.

Honestly...I think if they're done decently, horses would actually be a pretty cool addition to BTW, while given the total abundance of fast travel in vanilla, they'll totally fizzle beyond the extents of the horseaboo crowd.

I'm a *little* worried about the potential damage to minecart rail networks as a form of transport, but that's really my only concern here.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

We want to put horse in with beef lasagne though! :P
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The great randomo wrote:We want to put horse in with beef lasagne though! :P
Hehe...true enough. I may just give it the wolf-chop treatment and make it visually identical to beef and give it all the same recipes as the same :)

It certainly does make a decent case for noodles and lasagna becoming higher tier food items, even if just for the social commentary, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

At they're current dev rate, what are we talking? A few months before horses are actually an official released part of the game (as an aside, they're kinda blowing their load prematurely here with the community by announcing them so soon)? I'm sure by then I won't have any issue taking a short break from RTH to provide some appropriately comical BTW context to horses :)
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm a *little* worried about the potential damage to minecart rail networks as a form of transport, but that's really my only concern here.
Well, this' gonna to be a problem, since Mojang probably will make them fast enough to completely invalidate said rails, and requiring no upkeep (unlike furnace carts).

And like devak and Gunnerman21 point, well, they're invalidating a cool and unique concept - riding pigs as a clunky way of transport, AFAIK no game besides MC has that.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

chaoticneutral wrote: And like devak and Gunnerman21 point, well, they're invalidating a cool and unique concept - riding pigs as a clunky way of transport, AFAIK no game besides MC has that.
I don't really share that point of view as I've never viewed pig riding to be anything other than a comical tangent that serves no real in game purpose in practice, even with the carrot thing.

I don't think any real gameplay is being lost there.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

FlowerChild wrote:
chaoticneutral wrote: And like devak and Gunnerman21 point, well, they're invalidating a cool and unique concept - riding pigs as a clunky way of transport, AFAIK no game besides MC has that.
I don't really share that point of view as I've never viewed pig riding to be anything other than a comical tangent that serves no real in game purpose in practice, even with the carrot thing.

I don't think any real gameplay is being lost there.
Maybe not actual gameplay, but potential - the role they're creating for the horses could be filled by the pigs in a more "elegant" way, if they wanted. And much like mooshrooms, creepers and other silly things Notch did, they help a lot to bring a feel of "it's a weird world" to Minecraft.

But well, we're dealing with Mojang - they add feature over feature "just because".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

chaoticneutral wrote: Maybe not actual gameplay, but potential - the role they're creating for the horses could be filled by the pigs in a more "elegant" way, if they wanted. And much like mooshrooms, creepers and other silly things Notch did, they help a lot to bring a feel of "it's a weird world" to Minecraft.

But well, we're dealing with Mojang - they add feature over feature "just because".
Yeah, it's a fair point. I think I'm just so happy they're staying away from technical content while working on the horses, that I have a tendency to put a positive spin on it :)
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm a *little* worried about the potential damage to minecart rail networks as a form of transport, but that's really my only concern here.
Well there's one place where rail networks will still trump horses no matter how good they are. And I eagerly await your spin on them there.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thorium-232 wrote: Well there's one place where rail networks will still trump horses no matter how good they are. And I eagerly await your spin on them there.
True, unless they just let them go to the nether, which they probably will.

That's easily taken care of though ;)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

FlowerChild wrote:True, unless they just let them go to the nether, which they probably will.

That's easily taken care of though ;)
Did I ever tell you that I love that evil smile of yours?

But as for horses potential obsoleting rail networks, I don't think they will. Simply because horses are mainly useful for overworld travel, while rail networks work best either in the sky or underground. So with horses as a travel unit, you still have to deal with the sun going down and being chased by all steve's night time "friends" But with rail networks, they allow the player to provide a safe and faster mode of travel higher up in the tech tree.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Horses simply feel like it would be a bonus to exploration in the wilderness/off the beaten track, while minecarts would still be superior for transportation in more established areas. However this assumes Mojang knows how to do them right :P but meh, I'm sure whatever FC decides to do with them will be fine.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Man, I'm just glad that redstone bugs didn't get in-game.

Can you imagine THAT clusterf*ck?
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Poppycocks wrote:Man, I'm just glad that redstone bugs didn't get in-game.

Can you imagine THAT clusterf*ck?
heh, I was expecting to flip a lever and get SWARMED with them :P
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: I'm a *little* worried about the potential damage to minecart rail networks as a form of transport, but that's really my only concern here.

One requires constant button presses, other is fire and forget.

Not even close.

Signed: Your friendly neighbourhood lazy-ass. :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That same argument could have been made about speed potions, yet they severely compromised rail networks as a form of travel.

Being an experienced player with an abundance of iron, your laziness might inspire you to build them, but for less experienced players I'm sure it will act in the opposite direction.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The one nice bit of balance with the pig riding was the way it cost food, even the lower amount they went with, meaning rails were more efficient in the long term. Hope they can remember that for horses. Those brutes eat an unbelievable amount even when they aren't doing any work.
Better is the enemy of Good
Eramus_the_5th

Post by Eramus_the_5th »

DaveYanakov wrote:The one nice bit of balance with the pig riding was the way it cost food, even the lower amount they went with, meaning rails were more efficient in the long term. Hope they can remember that for horses. Those brutes eat an unbelievable amount even when they aren't doing any work.
If the horses cost good amounts of food, then that makes them very interesting for BTW, especially considering what they normally need in terms of food and water.

Makes farming even more valuable midgame, before you have enough iron for a good railway.

Hell, may even make Cisterns useful in vanilla (doubt it, but anything is possible when talking about Mojang).
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote:That same argument could have been made about speed potions, yet they severely compromised rail networks as a form of travel.

Being an experienced player with an abundance of iron, your laziness might inspire you to build them, but for less experienced players I'm sure it will act in the opposite direction.

Pffft, noobs.

Actually railways was the first thing I made once I had remote locations I visited more than once in a blue moon. Can't imagine playing without them.

Horses should require a somewhat horse friendly terrain btw, although I bet they would make them gallop along in deserts merrily all the same.
War..
War never changes.

Charzy

Post by Charzy »

But even though horses eat a lot, a horse will literally just graze on nearby grass if you stop it for a while.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Make that tall grass and presto, there is a small consideration.
War..
War never changes.