Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote:Yeah, fair enough :) It seems a bit funky that notch didn't do that in the first place...
Well, it's a bit technical, but I assume he did it so that minute changes to health/hunger/or whatever wouldn't result in network packets being sent from server to client. Saturation, being an invisible value that only needs to be tracked on the server, had no such restrictions on it.

I took additional measures in my own code to make sure excessive packets aren't sent, but that was my impression in looking over the original.

You may have noticed for example that in vanilla, if you lose a large amount of hunger at once, it decreases incrementally over several frames. It's hardly noticeable though, so I ripped that out with HC Hunger so that only a single packet would get sent per change in value.

I also took measures to ensure that packets are only sent when the value is sufficiently large to cause an actual visual change in the hunger meter. Otherwise, you'd be sending packets practically every time you took a step and you lost miniscule amounts of fatigue.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Well, it's a bit technical, but I assume he did it so that minute changes to health/hunger/or whatever wouldn't result in network packets being sent from server to client. Saturation, being an invisible value that only needs to be tracked on the server, had no such restrictions on it.

I took additional measures in my own code to make sure excessive packets aren't sent, but that was my impression in looking over the original.
Ah. Makes more sense :)
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote:Ah. Makes more sense :)
Welcome to the world of the hundreds of tiny decisions that go into every feature of the mod ;)

It does make me wonder though if Jeb will consider that part if/when he makes this change and whether we'll see the resulting flood of network packets in the first release. Wagers anyone? :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Knowing their quality of work, the entirety of Fort Knox ;)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Rianaru wrote:Looks like people are still complaining about performance issues with custom TPs and animated TPs...anyone want to take bets on if those issues are going to be ignored or fixed with a 1.5.2 update?
Gotta say that they are running faster in 1.51 than in the snapshots/1.5. I do strongly believe that there were some changes to the animated textures make the machine work less, as I have been working on a 128x animated texturepack and the performance of my machine has greatly improved (In terms of recording bits to show off my work ;) )
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Magix made a new redstone guide to go with 1.5, it's actually pretty awesome.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/173 ... one-guide/

This is the same guy that made the circuit collection thread, he's good people.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
xou816

Post by xou816 »

I've had a 1.5.1 server running for my sister and it's quite buggy. I get spammed with "wrong location" messages. 1.5.2, here we go!

EDIT: seen quite an impressive chunk error. A whole chunk was invisible and darkened, and it hurted when getting close
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Hmmm...
/r/edstonehelper:
Added wheat storage blocks hay bales
Spoiler
Show
Added dispenser carts
Spoiler
Show
Jeb:
I'm leaning towards doing something radical on MC: Changing health from 20 to 20.0 and reducing randomness of damage.
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

I actually like the idea of a dispenser cart (if I'm not confused on what the new "dispenser" does anymore). Sounds like it would be fun to create a mobile defense turret for your base's perimeter.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Calo290 wrote:I actually like the idea of a dispenser cart (if I'm not confused on what the new "dispenser" does anymore). Sounds like it would be fun to create a mobile defense turret for your base's perimeter.
Do you seriously think that will be viable? Yes, cool idea in theory and all, but how do you possibly see yourself building something like that, and even if you did, how would it be in any way practical?

I'm still scratching my head as to what the intended use of that thing is, but probably shouldn't, as it screams of just being another feature tacked on for adventure maps.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote: I'm still scratching my head as to what the intended use of that thing is, but probably shouldn't, as it screams of just being another feature tacked on for adventure maps.
Me too, aren't mobs scared of rail tracks now, meaning that any place this cart can go, mobs won't? I may be wrong, I honestly don't have the energy to keep up with vBS these days.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote: Me too, aren't mobs scared of rail tracks now, meaning that any place this cart can go, mobs won't? I may be wrong, I honestly don't have the energy to keep up with vBS these days.
I unfortunately feel like I have to so that I'll know what to chop when the time comes ;)
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

FlowerChild wrote:
Shengji wrote: Me too, aren't mobs scared of rail tracks now, meaning that any place this cart can go, mobs won't? I may be wrong, I honestly don't have the energy to keep up with vBS these days.
I unfortunately feel like I have to so that I'll know what to chop when the time comes ;)
On the bright side... demolition can be fun.

Right....
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote:
Why am I thinking of an endless game of whack-a-mole now!

Once BTW is completed, I plan on disabling the update mechanism in minecraft, it would take something really special to convince me that it is worth running a current vanilla install!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

i will be happy if mojang adds hay bales, maybe automated breeding? every morning you wake up put an hay bale or two in the pen and then the nature will do the rest xD
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Foxy wrote:i will be happy if mojang adds hay bales, maybe automated breeding? every morning you wake up put an hay bale or two in the pen and then the nature will do the rest xD
I was going to say that I liked hay bales as storage and aesthetics but surely they would fuck it up with some stupid functionality, and this is a perfect example.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

What would be wrong with that kind of functionality for hay bales exactly? I would welcome that change although it's not nearly as good as letting them just grab wheat off the ground.
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Sarudak wrote:What would be wrong with that kind of functionality for hay bales exactly? I would welcome that change although it's not nearly as good as letting them just grab wheat off the ground.
Instead of having to use a timed dispenser you just put a block dispenser and a block detector for when the block is used up and you have an easy way to breed with little challenge.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Are you implying that a block dispenser with a block detector is really that much easier than hooking up a clock to vanilla dispensers? Besides you need to consider added features by mojang in context of vanilla. They're not designing for mods.
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

but... simply place it?
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Considering that there is currently no way to place a block automatically in vanilla, that functionality would be less useful than making an automated single wheat timed dropper, it only reaches full usefulness in a mod with an automatic block placer like BTW.
But you're right that I was thinking more of the implications in BTW, since I see it now as vanilla.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Beside that, people would complain that the cows are eating their hay bale houses.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Elevatator wrote:Beside that, people would complain that the cows are eating their hay bale houses.
Incentive to kill/pen up any cows near your house ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I hope they implement wolves blowing down your hay bale houses... I really hope they do...
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Pigs build little huts out of it, which contain the sacred win button of mine craft. You must protect them to prevent the wolves from pressing it.