Mushrooms

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
HappyDyas

Mushrooms

Post by HappyDyas »

Now that mushrooms are EXTREMELY more important within the last few uptdates, how have you all been farming them?
From what I've seen, they need a dark or pitch black place to grow in, and even then it is painfully slow.
Im not sure if BTW removed it since Hardcore Bonemeal, but you used to be able to grow the large mushrooms using the bonemeal and a single mushroom.
I also know that cows will turn into Mooshrooms when left on mycilum for a while.

Can you guys give me tips and pointers on the best way to get the detrivores spreading?
MrPlatypus

Re: Mushrooms

Post by MrPlatypus »

I'm not an expert, but one tip I will add is when you harvest your mushrooms, leave more than one. The spreading of mushrooms is exponential, and if you leave 10 after harvesting your farm you will get much more output in less time than if you only left 2.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

HappyDyas wrote:Im not sure if BTW removed it since Hardcore Bonemeal, but you used to be able to grow the large mushrooms using the bonemeal and a single mushroom.
I just tried it in a room 8-meters high. I couldn't grow a huge mushroom from a brown mushroom. FlowerChild thinks growing food with bonemeal is OP.
ion

Post by ion »

jecowa wrote:
HappyDyas wrote:Im not sure if BTW removed it since Hardcore Bonemeal, but you used to be able to grow the large mushrooms using the bonemeal and a single mushroom.
I just tried it in a room 8-meters high. I couldn't grow a huge mushroom from a brown mushroom. FlowerChild thinks growing food with bonemeal is OP.
the grow on their own if placed on mycelium
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Isn't mushroom spreading restricted?

MCWiki says no more than five of the same type in a 9x9x3 area...be interesting to come up with modular mushroom farms.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Oddly they don't seem to grow on Dung blocks..
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Mushroom growth was made incredibly unintuitive when they began to overrun the nether back when Mojang released 1.whoevenknowsanymore. Basically the rules seem to be that mushrooms spread in dim light but the spread is stopped when 4 mushrooms exist within a 9x9 area. So you can farm them, it just takes a lot of space.

My current plan is to basically turn branch mines into mushroom plots.
Better is the enemy of Good
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I'd just to with mycelium field manual harvest, or use saws to automate :)

Otherwise you're stuck using block eaters or piston harvesters ;)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

BlackCat wrote:I'd just to with mycelium field manual harvest, or use saws to automate :)

Otherwise you're stuck using block eaters or piston harvesters ;)
Well, technically you could probably make a setup with mining charges that takes care of the tops of big mushrooms as well, but it's a bit costly.

I did do some experiments with blasting oil a few days ago. If you use a BD to dispense it into a hopper, which then drops it straight down, you can get pretty decent accuracy on where it lands. Would be cheaper than mining charges, though I'm not sure whether it might not just end up blowing up the mushroom without dropping anything.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

My mycelium free setup is providing more than enough mushrooms. It's not automated yet but it will be one of the easiest to rig effectively.
Spoiler
Show
The fence was because I was worried about spawns, but I have had none. The next picture shows the progenitor mushrooms, which never get picked and spawn the rest. I have a row of 9, spaced 2 apart.
Spoiler
Show
Here is the lighting setup, I used to have the torches at floor level where the half slabs are now in the same configuration as these - if you can't see through the aesthetics, they are 3 blocks apart, 2 above mushroom level, 2 blocks forward, on a block facing away from the plane the mushrooms are on
Spoiler
Show
And an asci cross section:

BBBBBBt
B
B m f
BBBBB

where B is any block (that mushrooms grow on), m is a progenitor mushroom, f is a fence and t is the torch

To automate, I will lift the progenitors up one block from the platform (which halves the spawn rate, thus I will make a second row) and flood the platform with water (every 15 minutes on a 3 item decay timer for 30 seconds or so) into two hoppers at either end, eventually feeding my stockpile and my auto hearty stew mechanism (the splitting will half the output to each side so I may add a third or forth row)

If you look closely at my pics, you may see that I have the water already in position, ready to automate!

Hope that is of some value!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

As mentioned before hand mushrooms will NOT grow more than 5 within a 9Wx9Lx3H area. However, this allows for multiple level areas to thrive with mushrooms because of the very minimal 3 Height requirement. Pyramid and "Stair" setups work very well for this. It's obviously not automated, but it's easy enough to run around and collect extra mushrooms. I honestly lit up a cave that I had cleared that went downward, and littered it with mushrooms. The nether is also a brilliant (might be the wrong word to describe it) place to scatter mushrooms as the light levels are all conducive to mushroom growth. Note that the darker the area does NOT encourage better mushroom growth, just better mob spawning. Torches give off a low enough light level that you can place mushrooms generally within a few blocks of them--allowing you to keep an area mob free, and ready for mushroom spawning.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

I made my cow pen into a mycilium shroomcow pen with mushroom trees xD when i need more mushrooms I grow a few "trees" and gather a few shrooms :D

you don't need bone meal to grow giant mushrooms so it's a decent way to grow em if you don't want to deal with underground mushroom growing :o
Rawr :D
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I built an auto farm on the official server. 4x4 modular spawn floors laid out so that 4 modules make a floor. Piston gates flow water from the four outside corners to the center for harvesting. Primer mushrooms is one per module and are 1 higher than the harvest floor level. My farm is 6 floors atm, I don't have good numbers on yield but it's more than enough to sustain me. I'm harvesting using a falling edge circuit triggered by a day night detector.
Last edited by SterlingRed on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

myrkana wrote:I made my cow pen into a mycilium shroomcow pen with mushroom trees xD when i need more mushrooms I grow a few "trees" and gather a few shrooms :D

you don't need bone meal to grow giant mushrooms so it's a decent way to grow em if you don't want to deal with underground mushroom growing :o
How can you still grow mushroom trees? I thought they were gone. I love them as an aesthetic decoration.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Enchant shovel with silk touch or build a block dispenser.
Go to mushroom island and gather mycellium.
Plant mushroom
Wait
Better is the enemy of Good
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

DaveYanakov wrote:Enchant shovel with silk touch or build a block dispenser.
Go to mushroom island and gather mycellium.
Plant mushroom
Wait
That simple, huh? Nice. Thanks, man.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I was asked by someone to post a picture of some manual farming setups, so I figured I would go ahead and post a full break-down of mushrooms as I understand them.

There is a series of checks that are ran when a mushroom block is selected to update.

1. It checks a 9Lx9Wx3H area for mushrooms of the same type. If there are 5 or more mushrooms (INCLUDING the center mushroom) the update is done, and nothing happens.
Spoiler
Show
2. It selects a block in a 3x3x3 area around the mushroom. It is noteworthy the the same level as the mushroom has a greater chance to be selected. 1/4 chance for the blocks above or below the mushroom, and 1/2 chance for the same level are the respective chances. I could explain this check, but I don't feel the need to unless someone really wants to know why.
Spoiler
Show
3. It runs a series of checks on the block selected:
  • 1. Is the block an air block?
    2. Checks light level or if the block below is Mycelium. (Light level 12 or lower is okay.)
    3. Checks if the block below is solid and opaque (not transparent).
4. If all of these checks are come back positive, it changes the selected block to the center of the check, and it runs again from selecting another block from the 3x3x3 area around it.
5. It can run the check up to 4 times. This allows the mushroom to spread up to 5 blocks away, this includes along the y axis (up or down).
Spoiler
Show
Using this information we can see that tiered setups allow for a greater concentration of mushroom within an are because of the low 3 height limitation set in the first check (9x9x3).

A few setups based off this include the pyramid:
Spoiler
Show
And just putting them on steps:
Spoiler
Show
I personally like the stairs because most people have a staircase down to bedrock anyway, spreading it out a few blocks for mushroom spawning is generally easy.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

tom_savage wrote: 1. It checks a 9Lx9Wx3H area for mushrooms of the same type. If there are 5 or more mushrooms (INCLUDING the center mushroom) the update is done, and nothing happens.
This is either inaccurate, or the implementation of it is bugged.

The farm I posted above is currently sporting some 16 mushrooms in a 9x3x1 area - a level plane 3 wide and 9 long has grown naturally 13 mushrooms from 3 I placed.

But I agree, something happens at 5 mushrooms, the spawn rate slows drastically.

EDIT: Quote from the minecraft wiki: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutor ... om_Farming

"Mushrooms will only spread if there are fewer than 5 mushrooms in an area of 9x9x3 around the original mushroom (edit: tested in SMP 1.3.2, this seems to be untrue)."
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

Bear in mind this is the check done on each mushroom. A mushroom at the edge of the group will not have 5 mushrooms around it and will be able to spread. The subsequent checks are for placeability and do not count the mushrooms in the vicinity. This would imply that more mushrooms would be found than 5 in a 9x9x3 area although I'm not sure if this would explain up to 16.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I was going to say what Heilkaiba said. But 16 mushrooms, yeah, that's a little excessive, and it's obvious something has changed. I apologize for posting inaccurate data. Though most of the check system should still be the same.

I realize you're a very smart person Shengji, and from a fellow father, have nothing but respect for you, but the IT troubleshooting part of me needs to ask, was all 16 the same type of mushroom? (Just didn't want to sound like a jerk for asking.)

Also, with the 9x9x3 restriction being wonky or inaccurate...this greatly destroys any reason to have a tiered setup because the mushroom update code favors it's own level 2:1.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

tom_savage wrote:I realize you're a very smart person Shengji, and from a fellow father, have nothing but respect for you, but the IT troubleshooting part of me needs to ask, was all 16 the same type of mushroom? (Just didn't want to sound like a jerk for asking.)
Hehe, no disrespect taken!

Indeed they were all brown - here's a pic which may help.
Spoiler
Show
The circled mushrooms were placed by me. All the others spawned naturally. I have built a second farm, identical but aligned at 90 degrees in a plains biome. I'll leave it for 48 hours (real world time) which was how long this one was left for.

One thought is that this farm straddles a snow and forest biome, it's too deep to accurately determine exactly where that divide is but it most certainly does cross the boundary.

EDIT: The red mushrooms have reached 15 in the same area, in the corresponding forest biome side of the farm:
Spoiler
Show
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Is that, mycelium it's placed on? Because that might break a lot of those restrictions. However, if you look at the stair setup I posted, there are a few instances where there are more than 5 within the designated area, but they could have also been grown from nearby areas where that restriction wasn't met yet. This is all very...perplexing.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

tom_savage wrote:Is that, mycelium it's placed on?
No, that's the smoothstone from Derivation.
This is all very...perplexing.
Hmmm, yes, perplexing indeed...but interesting that mushroom growth characteristics have suddenly become relevant again. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The bit said above is correct. The 9X9X3 test is done on the mushroom checking for spread. Then, it may place a mushroom somewhere in its vicinity.

Thus, if you have a mushroom out on the edges that doesn't have 4 others within that area, it can then place a mushroom in an area that already contains 5 or more.

I went through the code myself for it when mushrooms became relevant as I was finding the growth parameters rather unintuitive, and found the wiki to be rather sparse on actual info.

I *may* do a revision pass on mushroom growth at some point, as yeah, it's rather whacked as a system. It was just never really relevant before HC Hunger.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Yea, Mushrooms spawning is just queer.

I had a spot in my storage room, were red mushrooms kept spawning. I'd clean them up, because they were in my walkway. But they would just come back.
Thought I was going nuts. Didn't think they could just spawn on their own.

This last time I investigated, ripped up my floors and stairs, gotta be a mushroom here some where.
Turns out, there was a mushroom behind a block at the base of haft block staircase. The mushrooms would cover the landing. Has to be related to haft block not being sold block bugs..

Now I'm going start doing some experiments.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)