Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
magikeh

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote: The thing is...you can just make stacks of blocks already by shift-clicking a bunch of stacks of dust to the crafting grid.
Yes, but that method is only really quick if you are making a stack of blocks at a time (or a half or 1/4 stack) but the biggest thing about this feature, is how it evenly distributes the resources that you are smearing around the grid, into the select few grids. So if you only needed one block, had 9 bricks you could pickup the 9 bricks, wave your mouse over each grid in the crafting bench (no order necessary, nor do you need to worry about doing double crossovers on a single grid) and BAM, a block ;)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote: Yes, but that method is only really quick if you are making a stack of blocks at a time (or a half or 1/4 stack)
Sure, but if you're building a beacon, you're really interested in bulk blocks anyways, at least once you're past the first level.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I think we can probably agree that the feature will have some limited uses, but isn't actually a remotely necessary feature.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Little about 1.5 thrilled me, but man I'd kill for the storage applications of the Redstone Block alone.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Ah ha! I have been racking my brain and pouring over the changelogs to figure out if there was anything i wanted in 1.5. Eureka! Redstone blocks for compact storage. Not that I currently have a storage problem in ssp or smp, but you know, just in case. Plus nice aesthetic material to build with. Yup that's about all.
RedNoob

Post by RedNoob »

Vanilla Minecraft 1.5 ; some thoughts:
Spoiler
Show
Improvements & Changes
■Lighting ■Engine optimizations
■Support for more realistic lighting[2][3]
■Lighting interacts correctly with slabs and stairs[4]
■Note: Active furnaces still emit light only from the front surface (as before), and black spots have not been fixed

■Texture Packs ■New format
■Textures use one PNG file per block or item, which are stitched together at runtime, texture sizes don't need to be consistent
■Textures can be animated. ■Animation frames are underneath each other in the same image
■Use a separate text file to specify frame order and duration

■Special rules apply for water, lava, compass, and clock
■Vanilla textures will be used if texture files are missing
■Support for HD texture packs.[5]
■Support for HD fonts
We will see if the lighting improvements will work or produce even more bugs. But I hope they have done good work on this :D
The Texture Pack changes are nice! It's much easier now to change things you dont like, AND you don't need mcpatcher or similar programs any more; even if I will still use them cause of "better grass", "better skies", "connected textures" and some other nice things.
Spoiler
Show
Improvements & Changes
■Inventory management ■Double click items to fill the stack up as much as possible.
■Drag item stacks around to divide them up over the dragged-over slots.
■Drag item stacks around with the right mouse button to place one of that stack in each dragged-over slot, if that slot is not occupied already.
■⇧ Shift+ double click items in a crafting area to place all items in the inventory.
■⇧ Shift+ double click an item stack to move all other item stacks of that kind to that part of the inventory.
■Pressing Q while the mouse is over an item in the inventory or a container to drop it
■Held armor can be equipped by right-clicking.

■Death Messages ■Include the cause of death, the player the deceased player was fighting at time of death and name of the item used to kill. ■Player fell off a ladder
■Player fell off some vines
■Player fell out of the water
■Player fell from a high place
■Player fell into a patch of fire
■Player fell into a patch of cacti
■Player got finished off by Player or Mob using Weapon
■Player walked into a fire whilst fighting Player or Mob
■Player was burnt to a crisp whilst fighting Player or Mob
■Player tried to swim in lava while trying to escape Player or Mob
■Player walked into a cactus while trying to escape Player or Mob
■Player was slain by Player or Mob using Weapon
■Player was killed trying to hurt Player or Mob

■Renaming ■Improved renaming of Spawn Eggs ■Mobs spawned from renamed eggs have the name of the egg and the names will appear in the death message
■Mobs can display their custom name as nametag using an NBT tag
■Mobs spawned from named Spawn Eggs display their name over their head when viewed within a 6 block radius

■Improved renaming of Containers ■Renamed Chests, Trapped Chests, Dispensers, Furnaces, Brewing Stands, and Enchantment Tables display the new name in their GUI
■Renamed Command Blocks use their name in the chat

■Language files ■Language files can be updated via the background downloader ■A new Minecraft release is not needed to update the language files

■Options & Title Screen ■Moved Texture Packs button to options menu, instead of title screen
■New chat settings in Multiplayer Settings ■Scale, Focused Height, Unfocused Height and Width is configurable

■Smooth Lighting can be changed to Minimum, Maximum & Off ■Minimum uses the old Smooth Lighting, and Maximum fixes a bug with stairs

■Creative Mode ■All potions are categorized
■In Creative mode, you can hit mobs or players from five blocks away
As mentioned before, the new inventory things are kind of nice but not realy needed.
Spoiler
Show
Blocks & Items

Additions
■Activator Rail ■The crafting recipe is 2 sticks, 6 iron ingots and 1 redstone torch
■Used to trigger Minecart with TNT
■Used to stop item passing on Minecart with Hopper
■Needs to be powered by redstone
■Transmits redstone signal to 8 Activator Rails far

■Block of Redstone ■The crafting recipe is 9 Redstones
■Stores 9 Redstone
■Emits constant redstone signal
■Works as pushable redstone power source

■Daylight Sensor ■The crafting recipe is 3 Wooden Slabs, 3 Nether Quartz and 3 Glass blocks
■Outputs a signal with a strength corresponding to the intensity of the sun
■Only works with the sun's light (not man made light such as torches)
■Rain affects the sensor's output

■Dropper ■The crafting recipe is 7 Cobblestones and 1 Redstone
■Places items in containers in front of them, if there is no container it will dispense the item without using it
■A dispenser 'shoots' items at you, while a dropper 'throws' items at you[6]
■Can face all 6 directions, with a different texture when facing up or down
■Need redstone signal to drop items
■Fires once when the input becomes powered
■Redstone signal emitted when a Redstone Comparator is placed against it directly - signal length depends on its fullness

■Hopper ■The crafting recipe is 5 iron ingots and 1 Chest
■Places and takes out items in Hoppers, Chests, Furnaces, Minecart with Chests, Minecart with Hoppers, Dispensers, Droppers, and Brewing Stands
■Allows for the automation of many processes collecting drops
■Powering the Hopper stops it from [taking] in items and releasing them[7]
■Redstone signal emitted when a Redstone Comparator is placed against it directly - signal length depends on its fullness ■1 item will give a signal strength of 1, a third of a stack (21 for items which stack to 64) gives a signal strength of 2
■The number of full stacks x 3 = Signal strength

■Minecart with Hopper[8] ■Crafting recipe is a hopper on top of a minecart
■Can only be emptied by passing over a hopper
■Can pick up items from containers when it passes over

■Minecart with Spawner entity[9] ■Only obtainable with world editors
■Have only the entity not the item
■Uses the same NBT format as a normal Spawner

■Minecart with TNT ■The crafting recipe is 1 TNT and 1 Minecart
■Triggered by Activator Rails
■Explodes even more violently the faster it goes
■In Creative mode when left clicked while moving, the Minecart with TNT explodes
■Doesn't destroy rails and supporting blocks
■Still blows up redstone materials

■Redstone Comparator ■Based on the idea of the Capacitor mentioned at Minecon 2012
■The crafting recipe is 3 Redstone Torches, 1 Nether Quartz and 3 Stone
■It is the same as a repeater, but with 2 inputs ■If input A is stronger or equal to input B, it either repeats the signal or outputs the difference between A and B, so this can be used as an easier way make redstone contraptions like Piston Doors ■Output is toggleable by right clicking

■If input A is weaker than input B, then there is no output

■All containers output a redstone signal when a Redstone Comparator is placed against it directly. The strength of it depends on how full the container is and what disc number is used in a Jukebox ■This works with Trapped Chests as well, meaning it can provide two redstone signals with different causes at the same time

■Trapped Chest ■The crafting recipe is 1 Chest, and 1 Tripwire Hook
■Gives out a signal depending on the amount of players looking inside
■Large Trapped Chests can be staggered with Large Chests to allow more compact storage
■Transmit signal downward through one block. This does not apply horizontally[10]
■Texture is slightly different than a normal chest, with a red stain around the latch

■Weighted Pressure Plate ■Used to detect item drops
■Gold(light) version reaches full strength at 60 items
■Iron(heavy) version reaches full strength at 600 items
■Linear, so 10 strength signal means twice as many items as a 5 strength signal

■Nether Brick (item) ■Obtained by smelting Netherrack
■Used to make Netherbrick

■Nether Quartz ■Picked up when you break or smelt Nether Quartz Ore
■Is a crafting ingredient for Daylight Sensors and Redstone Comparators
■Can be crafted into decorative blocks

■Nether Quartz Ore ■Drops 1 Nether Quartz item when mined
■Can be smelted in a Furnace to obtain Nether Quartz
■Can be legitimately obtained by Silk Touch enchantment
■Drop more when picked up with Fortune enchantment

■Block of Quartz ■The crafting recipe is 4 Nether Quartzes in a square
■Decorative block

■Quartz Slab ■The crafting recipe is 3 Block of Quartz
■Can be placed upside down same all other slabs
■Decorative block

■Quartz Stairs ■The crafting recipe is 6 Block of Quartz in a usual stair recipe
■Can be placed upside down same all other stairs
■Updated to corner same all other stairs

■Chiseled Quartz Block ■The crafting recipe is 2 Quartz Slabs
■Decorative block

■Pillar Quartz Block ■The crafting recipe is 2 vertical Block of Quartz
■Decorative block
■Pillar Quartz Blocks can be placed sideways, using the side of the block to place similar to sideways Wood

■Multiple snow heights ■Fully implemented - previously, a world editor could be used for different heights of snow
■Drops one snowball for every layer of snow
■Each level of snow has its own height collision ■The topmost layer of snow does not have collision, so the player is always slightly sunken in the snow
■Visually, four layers of snow is the same height as a slab. However, five layers of snow has the same collision height as a slab

■Crafting recipe is 3 snow blocks in a row to create 6 snow layers ■For each thin layer of snow crafted, the player loses exactly half the snowballs required to produce it

■Sandstone Double Slab ■Place two sandstone slabs on top of each other
■The block ID is 43:9
ohhhhhh... where shell I sart with all this shit???
-Activator Rail: Don't like it; seems useless to me... also the TNT-minecarts
-Daylight Sensor: Don't liem it; the BTW one is much better!!! the only cool thing is the combination with "Redstone Comparator" as you can dedect different light levels.
-Dropper: I can't see the need of this block? There are only smal differences to the "Dispenser"
-Hopper: Well... I don't realy need to say the BTW one is much better!!! '''Places and takes out items''' I don't liek the take out thing! I read through several discusions in this forums and know why FC has not implemented this feature in BTW alredy! There is a similar mechanic with "BTW Couldron" and "Crucible" that was not added to chests and "Block dispensers" and othe 'inventory blocks'. so what i want to say with this: let the hopper be an 'place in only' block and as 'take out' mechanik i prefere the 'crucible way' with axles and mech.power!!!
-Minecart with things: Wherefor???? Even the 'Minecart with hopper' becomes useless if we aply the 'axle tip out' mechanik to 'Minecart with chest' ... -> Useless!!!

-Trapped Chest: The idea is cool!!! But you see the difference to normal chests - makes them useless!!! so the only thing they will be good for is more compact storage rooms... but imo storage rooms with normal chests only look realy nice just because they don't stand one aside the other.
-Weighted Pressure Plate: I guess this is something than can be used in item sorting or something... I don't know how to use it... but never the less I like it! The only thing is that i can't atm imagine how in vmc you remove the itemy from the plates automaticaly?! water streams should not work just as Pistons...
-Nether Quarz: I personaly like the fact, that vmc adds more content to the nether other than mobs! But i also have to agree with those on the forums here saying taht vmc does not need another ore. there is still lapis that is not used in vmc!!!

-Block of Redstone: LIKE!
-Redstone Comparator: like it as such. what I dont like is the fact that now every block with an inventory magicaly learned to emit a redstone signal!!! Imo: add "weighted chest" instead of the trapped one: the weighted is able to emit redstone signals. maybe hoppers or so are alowed to do so too.
-Quarz blocks: More decorative options! Thats always nice! As you get more different ways to build things!
Spoiler
Show
Improvements & Changes
■Beacon ■Increased range ■1 layer: 20 blocks (previously 16)
■2 layers: 30 blocks (previously 24)
■3 layers: 40 blocks (previously 32)
■4 layers: 50 blocks (previously 40)

■Bone Meal ■Slightly nerfed
■Now picks a random stage of growth each time as opposed to automatically pushing them to the final growth stage
■Saplings take 2-4 bone meal to sprout into a tree
■Gives off green particles when used

■Brewing Stand ■Redstone signal emitted when a Redstone Comparator is placed against it directly - signal length depends on its fullness

■Chest ■Redstone signal emitted when a Redstone Comparator is placed against it directly - signal length depends on its fullness

■Detector Rail ■Redstone signal emitted when a Redstone Comparator is placed against it directly - signal length depends on the fullness of the container on the rail
■Added activated detector rail texture

■Dispenser ■Now equip armor to players that are up to 1 block away
■Can place and activate TNT
■Now use Bone Meal on a crop or sapling in front of them
■Can create fire in front of them with Flint and Steel, which consumes durability
■They can now face all 6 directions, and use a different texture when facing up or down
■No longer fire while updated, instead they fire when their input becomes powered
■Redstone signal emitted when a Redstone Comparator is placed against it directly - signal length depends on its fullness

■Jukebox ■Redstone signal emitted when a Redstone Comparator is placed against it directly - signal length depends on the number of the disc used.

■Lava ■Updated texture

■Locked Chest ■Textures put in individual files, nothing for the Locked Chest to use.
■Now uses the "Missing Texture" texture

■Nether Brick ■The crafting recipe is now 4 Nether Brick (item)

■Stairs ■Improved lighting
■Stairs no longer prevent sprinting

■Stone Double Slab ■Double stone slabs now have a block ID of 43:8
■This allows double stone slabs to be given through commands

■Water ■Creating an infinite water source no longer needs a block underneath, but has to have a water source block.
■This means you won't ruin rivers or oceans with Buckets
-Bone meal: rebrings hardcore bone back to my mind ;)
-beacons: XD... we gave it more range XD XD XD
-dispenser: the armor equip thing is cool... even if I remember FC saying that was something he would not have done by its own, cause its to unimportant.
-water: that sounds nice... but not realy important for gameplay...
-all the additions for the comparator compatibility: well I pointed that out earlier...
Spoiler
Show
Mobs

Improvements & Changes
■All Mobs ■Mobs no longer walk over rails unless they are pursuing the player
■A way for mobs/entities to ride other mobs/entities using a NBT editor or Sethbling's MCEdit filter (Stack Entities). Can be found here ■They no longer dismount upon reload
■Mobs can now be spawned riding other mobs
■Allows for a lot of customization, including "riding" bats by spawning a bat with a minecart on top, spider jockeys and other crazy combinations
■Players riding stuff will keep it when logging off (When logging off in a minecart, you will take it with you)

■Skeleton ■Now shoot from 16 blocks away, instead of 10
■They now shoot faster when their target is closer
■They shoot players one block away

■Slimes ■Slime spawn rates in swamps now depend on the current moon phase.[11]

■Zombie ■They now alert other Zombies within a radius when they see a player
■They do more damage as they lose health
■When on fire, they can now set players on fire
■Now become aggressive and come towards you when shot from farther away

World Generation

Additions
■Nether Quartz Ore ■Found in the Nether
■Drops Nether Quartz crystal when mined
■There is an average of roughly 70 ores per chunk ■As common as Iron Ore in the Overworld

■Works with both Fortune and Silk Touch enchantments

Improvements & Changes
■Abandoned Mineshaft ■Now spawn items in Minecart with Chests, instead of Chests
-Mobs become more difficult: LIKE!
-jeeeeeee: they now used the moon phase fore at least something... even it this doesn't matter... but they did!!!!
-nether quarz: as I sad: not needed, but nice new decorative options
-Abandoned mineshafts: no more chests but menecarts with chests: well useless but nice.... you don't have to build your own minecarts anymore ;)

So hope I did not get anyone bored so far ;) and I also hope you forgive me several misstakes with my shool english ;) oh well i just finished shool... but still i never had good english lessons ;)
And I wish FC that he applied the patience to get BTW to MC 1.5! But you have as much time as you like... for me there is nothing in vmc 1.5 that I neeeeeed to have on my BTW world. And Thank you for giving me a much better view on minecraft and the features added. I realy enjoy to read why you nerfed something and up to now (after playing for several hours) I can say that all the content you added or the things you changed made my expirience with BTW minecraft better!!! Thank you!!!
johnt

Post by johnt »

Redstone Comparator: like it as such. what I dont like is the fact that now every block with an inventory magicaly learned to emit a redstone signal!!!

You can imagine that it has kind of a pressure sensitive plate included on it, I think. I don't think you have to consider that the chest itself emits the signal.
Six

Post by Six »

magikeh wrote:I think the only thing that has peaked my interest of the latest update is that of the new crafting controls or whatever you want to call them, the thing where you can click and drag to 'smear' the crafted items around in a bench. Most definitely going to make crafting much much easier. (Do wish i had it when i was grinding to make my hellfire beacon... so many friggin blocks!)
This is the main thing from 1.5 which actually interests me too. Splitting groups of items into thirds and spreading out items in chests for easy shift clicking later.. those two things alone will save on so many repeated actions for me.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

Yeah, all of those recipes that work in multiples other than 2 (slabs, paper, fences, ladders, stairs come to mind) will be much less of a pain to make now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Conscript Gary wrote:Yeah, all of those recipes that work in multiples other than 2 (slabs, paper, fences, ladders, stairs come to mind) will be much less of a pain to make now.
Ok, admittedly, that is pretty sweet. It's a situation I often run into myself.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I'm finding more and more possible uses for comparators, and redstoneblocks are going to be fun (detector blocks can already be used similarly though) and the dispenser changes seem nice...

Overall I'm still pretty unhappy with this update, but I'll be glad to have a few things here and there.

That said, the lag is horrible from what I've played, and a lot of (my) redstone stuff will likely be broken, so I have that to look forward to.

They could have done worse, but it wouldn't have been easy.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
coolio678

Post by coolio678 »

BlackCat wrote:I'm finding more and more possible uses for comparators, and redstoneblocks are going to be fun (detector blocks can already be used similarly though) and the dispenser changes seem nice...

Overall I'm still pretty unhappy with this update, but I'll be glad to have a few things here and there.

That said, the lag is horrible from what I've played, and a lot of (my) redstone stuff will likely be broken, so I have that to look forward to.

They could have done worse, but it wouldn't have been easy.
I wasn't sure if it was the server or me, but I've been laggy as hell lately (1.5). Also, small black gaps are appearing between blocks. Hopefully it'll be fixed in 1.5.1.
0 days without accident
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

coolio678 wrote:Also, small black gaps are appearing between blocks. Hopefully it'll be fixed in 1.5.1.
I believe I saw that on the patch notes for the pre-release, although I'm not sure if its a fix or just a list of bugs in the pre-release.
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

Actualy while our admin team was building new map for our vanilla server 2 years birthday (which is 03-16, and that's pretty much today), I had quite a bit of lag. Maybe I only imagine that i had lag, but I think that 1.5 somehow effects performence more then 1.4.7
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

From what I've seen on other forums a lot of people are getting lag even though the fps is high. This could be due to the broken wip lighting engine in 1.5. Try turning off smooth lighting all together and see if that helps.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote:From what I've seen on other forums a lot of people are getting lag even though the fps is high. This could be due to the broken wip lighting engine in 1.5. Try turning off smooth lighting all together and see if that helps.
<face palm>

So happy they spent all that time "fixing" it :)
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Spent some time in a separate 1.5 setup. Noticing some lighting bugs in a rather handy mineshaft. Probably need to drop it from "Max" to "Minimum" as reported (Max is new, Min is old)
coolio678

Post by coolio678 »

Padfoote wrote:
coolio678 wrote:Also, small black gaps are appearing between blocks. Hopefully it'll be fixed in 1.5.1.
I believe I saw that on the patch notes for the pre-release, although I'm not sure if its a fix or just a list of bugs in the pre-release.
I just saw that too.
White stitching on polygon edges / White lines or black dots between blocks
Also, sky_demon, I think that you're talking about the same server as me.
0 days without accident
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

destineternel wrote:From what I've seen on other forums a lot of people are getting lag even though the fps is high. This could be due to the broken wip lighting engine in 1.5. Try turning off smooth lighting all together and see if that helps.
Fuck those guys. It pisses me off to no end that they are succeeding in breaking what is supposed to be a finished product. It's downright pathetic for a company to so consistently screw over so many customers due to sheer incompetence.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

My god. Jeb just tweeted "Why im having trouble with the fps complaints (img link). Same world, same view, max settings." the image was an fps comparison between versions showing the same performance in 1.5 as 1.4.7

He is essentially dismissing all the performance complaints because that one machine runs the same. I knew Jeb was bad at game design, but I didn't know he was outright stupid.

Sorry can't provide link, on mobile.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

SterlingRed wrote:
Link:

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/313695176579223554
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Mud

Post by Mud »

Sandrew wrote:Fuck those guys. It pisses me off to no end that they are succeeding in breaking what is supposed to be a finished product.
It's been stated before by Mojang that Minecraft is not a "finished product"

I too have been experiencing lag spikes on my 1.5vMC install. Always seems to hit at the worst possible times.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote:My god. Jeb just tweeted "Why im having trouble with the fps complaints (img link). Same world, same view, max settings." the image was an fps comparison between versions showing the same performance in 1.5 as 1.4.7

He is essentially dismissing all the performance complaints because that one machine runs the same. I knew Jeb was bad at game design, but I didn't know he was outright stupid.

I don't think that's a dismissal. It's the same reason it becomes problematic for me to correct reported performance problems if I'm not experiencing them myself on my local machine.

If I get them locally, I can change things I suspect might be an issue until my frame rate goes up. If I'm not, I have to change things and then wait for the community to respond as to whether it improved things or not.

It just makes things much more time consuming to resolve, which could easily be what he's getting at with the above quote.
dr_spindizzy

Post by dr_spindizzy »

Yep. He also said he'd tried different video cards in case that was the reason. I think he's trying hard to fix the issue, but can't reproduce it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dr_spindizzy wrote:Yep. He also said he'd tried different video cards in case that was the reason. I think he's trying hard to fix the issue, but can't reproduce it.
Yup, and that's definitely an advantage he has as a professional over me when I run into such problems. I've got one system, one video card, one internet connection, and somehow have to figure it out from there :)