Flower's Dev Diary (Week of Feb 11th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battlecat

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of Feb 11th)

Post by Battlecat »

Sounds very cool, I'm looking forward to this update!
warmist

Post by warmist »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, I just had my first real experience with starving to death in game under Hardcore Hunger, and man, I just wanted to say, was that ever fucking cool if I do say so myself :)
Hopefully this does not mean that it's that hard that even the master of the mod with world that is filled with auto-farms and butcheries died from hunger :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

warmist wrote: Hopefully this does not mean that it's that hard that even the master of the mod with world that is filled with auto-farms and butcheries died from hunger :D
Hehe...no, this was a test I specifically ran at a hardcore spawn location (following an intentional death), where I let my hunger deplete so I could experience starving to death. Once I got down to a couple of pips on the meter, I struggled to try and survive to see what it feels like and if I had gotten the balance right.

Even then I managed to pull myself out of it (with quite a challenge mind you), but then let it deplete back down again to experience the actual death.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Man, HCH is sounding more and more awesome the more I hear about it. Can't wait! I'll just take this opportunity to thank you again, FlowerChild, for the amazing job you've done making minecraft survival an actual and enjoyable game.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

darahalian wrote:Man, HCH is sounding more and more awesome the more I hear about it. Can't wait! I'll just take this opportunity to thank you again, FlowerChild, for the amazing job you've done making minecraft survival an actual and enjoyable game.
Yeah. I've been trying to think of a way to say I'm super-excited without sounding pester-ey. Just can't wait to try this out, man.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ulfengaard wrote: Yeah. I've been trying to think of a way to say I'm super-excited without sounding pester-ey. Just can't wait to try this out, man.
Me too man :)

I've only had the time to test out specific cases as I implement them (like the starvation test I mentioned above), but likely won't have the time to do an extensive play through with it before releasing, so I haven't experienced it fully for myself either.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I will consider the first release to be a first pass, and will likely tweak it further over the releases to come based on my experiences with it, and player feedback.

I had no idea how huge a task this would become when I first started working on it, but like I said, in many ways it's kind of turned into a rebalance of the entire game in my attempt to get it just right. As a result, the number of variables currently at play is rather overwhelming.

Anyways, I'm absolutely determined to get this one out today, despite being rather sleep deprived at the moment, so you guys should be able to try it yourselves in a few hours time. I just have a few small details left to resolve, and it should be good to go.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:I had no idea how huge a task this would become when I first started working on it, but like I said, in many ways it's kind of turned into a rebalance of the entire game in my attempt to get it just right. As a result, the number of variables currently at play is rather overwhelming.
The hunger is just such a central system of the survival play that it reaches out into nearly every aspect of the game. That's why I was so excited when you first posted about HCH. I wouldn't trust anyone more with reworking it for better gameplay.
FlowerChild wrote:Anyways, I'm absolutely determined to get this one out today, despite being rather sleep deprived at the moment, so you guys should be able to try it yourselves in a few hours time. I just have a few small details left to resolve, and it should be good to go.
While I'm really stoked to hear that, no need to rush. So long as Flower is happy, we're happy. :)

EDIT: For grammar derpy-ness.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ulfengaard wrote: The hunger is just such a central system of the survival play that it reaches out into nearly every aspect of the game. That's why I was so excited when you first posted about HCH. I wouldn't trust anyone more with reworking it for better gameplay.
Awwww....shucks man, thanks :)

I've mentioned it before, but I really do find it gratifying to see the shift in people's reactions since I started on the whole "Hardcore" jag. At the beginning, there was a ton of resistance, but the longer it's gone on, the more people seem to implicitly trust me with this stuff, and I really do appreciate that.
FlowerChild wrote: While I'm really stoked to hear that, no need to rush. So long as Flower is happy, we're happy. :)
For my own happiness, I need to get this done. I think I've been at this a week and a half now while my intent is to try and wrap up the mod?

Yeah, I need to get this wrapped up for my own peace of mind, lest it drag on indefinitely. I really only have a couple of items left on my todo list, so I think one last push is in order to get this baby out :)
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I can't wait to have more ways to die :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote:I can't wait to have more ways to die :)
Well, it's the same old ways to die really, just as a more present concern, and in a more excruciating manner when they do occur ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, that's it: I'm putting a self-imposed ban on me posting.

When I'm sleep deprived, I get chatty, and I've been posting up a storm both here and on MCF as a result.

Making a deal with myself to not say shit until the release post, so fuck y'all until then ;)
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, that's it: I'm putting a self-imposed ban on me posting.

When I'm sleep deprived, I get chatty, and I've been posting up a storm both here and on MCF as a result.

Making a deal with myself to not say shit until the release post, so fuck y'all until then ;)
Awww you're such a sweetie to us <3
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lol! Ok...ok, no posting and all, but I just had a really good laugh when I realized one of the implications of the many changes I've made, that I hadn't previously realized is the following:

Obese people need to build themselves little ramps to go up hills :)
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

FlowerChild wrote:Lol! Ok...ok, no posting and all, but I just had a really good laugh when I realized one of the implications of the many changes I've made, that I hadn't previously realized is the following:

I shall be the fattest of minecrafters! Ramps evverywhere.

(Last post today. :P)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...this is so non-PC, I absolutely love it :)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

FlowerChild wrote:Lol! Ok...ok, no posting and all, but I just had a really good laugh when I realized one of the implications of the many changes I've made, that I hadn't previously realized is the following:

HAH! That's fantastic! So impressed that you've actually put in a gameplay price for overeating! This update should be entertaining.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

I had a pretty good laugh when I read that and I'm really excited to see the full range of impacts this has on gameplay. Keep up the amazing work; this mod is such an inspiration for me to keep working on projects both with MC and other things.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote: HAH! That's fantastic! So impressed that you've actually put in a gameplay price for overeating! This update should be entertaining.
Oh yeah man...you don't know the half of it :)

Must...stop...posting....AHHHHH!!!!
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Wow. This is going to be even more amazing than I realized. Intuitive tangible responses (figuratively speaking) to the state of the hunger bar. Nifty.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

My God. What have you done?!?
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

hehehe... useful pigs with carrot rods :P time to get fat!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

sky_demon wrote:hehehe... useful pigs with carrot rods :P time to get fat!
Oh man...I may be loopy from fatigue, but I just bust a gut on that one :)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

sky_demon wrote:hehehe... useful pigs with carrot rods :P time to get fat!
Don't squash the darn thing!!

[speculation]
I do wonder if these variables that you speak of will be reset on death.. if you're too obese would you dare make a deal with death?
[/speculation]

Cannot wait to get running/rolling around to see what this new experience will do to gameplay!

*smacks hands from typing more rampant-speculation, bordering suggestion.. things*
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I'm still hoping for Diabeetus.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I do believe that in my entire time playing MC, I had never seen this particular death message until just now:
Spoiler
Show
Limping along, crippled from my wounds and trying to find some food with which to heal them, I passed through a swamp. A slime caught wind of me and started in pursuit, but I was moving too slow to get away, and was too weak to fend him off.

I quickly succumbed to his gooey mercies...

It can be argued that the previous fall from a cliff is what killed me, but the credit goes to the slime for finishing the job.