Flower's Dev Diary (Week of Feb 11th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Folrig

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of Feb 11th)

Post by Folrig »

FlowerChild wrote:
Folrig wrote:You're add...adding a new block type?
I was referring to Packed Earth. Just making a statement on how me adding an apparently simple feature like Hardcore Movement tends to escalate with time.
Of course! Please forgive me FC. I have no excuse for not putting that together.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Just making a statement on how me adding an apparently simple feature like Hardcore Movement tends to escalate with time.
The FlowerChild effect: it's like the butterfly effect, but with a higher parental advice rating.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

Gilberreke wrote: The FlowerChild effect: it's like the butterfly effect, but with a higher parental advice rating.
The FC equation: fun = vMC^parental advisory rating
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

muggsbud wrote:
Gilberreke wrote: The FlowerChild effect: it's like the butterfly effect, but with a higher parental advice rating.
The FC equation: fun = vMC^parental advisory rating
Good one, gave me a laugh at least.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I just wanted to briefly mention that Hardcore Hunger has turned into somewhat of a rebalance of the entire game :)

It's kinda like pulling a thread on a sweater or something, but as I've adjusted one aspect, smaller aspects have come to bother me more, and so on.

I've been at it for about 4 days now, and have decided to pack it in for today. Looking good for me finishing this one off tomorrow, as I'm really just working on a few final polish items right now.
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

FlowerChild wrote: I've been at it for about 4 days now, and have decided to pack it in for today. Looking good for me finishing this one off tomorrow, as I'm really just working on a few final polish items right now.
Sounds awesome! Keep up the good work, I can't wait for the release!
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Woot! Sounds great! I can't wait to find out more about this hardcore hunger. If it's anything like what I think it is, it would be safe to assume that carrying around a stack of steaks isn't gonna cut it anymore, is it?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, I just wanted to briefly mention that Hardcore Hunger has turned into somewhat of a rebalance of the entire game :)

It's kinda like pulling a thread on a sweater or something, but as I've adjusted one aspect, smaller aspects have come to bother me more, and so on.

I've been at it for about 4 days now, and have decided to pack it in for today. Looking good for me finishing this one off tomorrow, as I'm really just working on a few final polish items right now.
Ermahgerd. I'm so excited to see what you've come up with.

Stoked. Thanks, man.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
barcode

Post by barcode »

FlowerChild wrote:...Hardcore Hunger...

...polish items....
Sausages??? :)

Seriously, Hardcore Movement and Hunger seem like very logical additions, I am quite intrigued by how that will affect gameplay. Still running the version prior to the new beacons, so I'll have a lot to catch up on.... Had a first glimpse at 1.5 and can't wait to get back to BTW... I can't tell you enough just how much your work is being appreciated!
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

We're all gonna die of malnutrition!

Maybe that's why everyone on the official server is so nuts about potatoes since they have everything essential in one staple food.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Blarg. Making the satisfaction (my term for saturation) values visible for the player (one of the things that I did as part of this change as I always disliked that such a relevant value was hidden from the player) has really highlighted some basic deficiencies with the vanilla hunger system. In fact, I think I just figured out why Notch decided to make those values invisible :)

Since satisfaction is given when eating other foods, and then depletes first, the problem is that the only real way to fill your satisfaction (short of donuts), is to basically starve yourself to the brink of death first, then fill up on food.

Obviously, this is a bit silly, and being able to see the effect eating has on the values makes that quickly apparent and leads to "gamey" behavior in order keep your satisfaction high (since full satisfaction basically doubles the time your hunger meter will last), when you'd expect someone who eats regularly to be the one getting fat, not the occasional binge eater.

Given that, I think I'm going to rework the underlying system there in order to provide more reasonable behavior, as I'm just not getting the results I want out of tweaking the values under the way vanilla works now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, I think I hit it right on by referring to it as "fat" above. Yeah, I'm going to rework satisfaction/saturation to be replaced by a concept of fat, with a little fat being a good thing as it effectively increases your food storage, and a lot of fat having associated penalties.

Design crisis averted ;)
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see what you have in store :)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Now you just need to model the effects of insulin so high carbohydrate foods cause you to get hungry faster while preventing you from accessing your fat supplies! ... Or maybe not...
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

So i can get fat in minecraft now? Is there a safe place for me to pretend that im thin anymore!!??

I think i will lay low on pixelated bacon for now on...

btw thx for fixing the hunger system FC im sure it will be great
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wafflewaffle wrote:btw thx for fixing the hunger system FC im sure it will be great
Well, it's all laying in pieces again right now waiting for me to reassemble it into something I am satisfied with, so it's difficult for me to see the forest through the trees at the moment, but thanks for the vote of confidence :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I always hated how the hunger system worked. Thank you for fixing it, I am sure it will be fantastic as always!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Hey, at least you have all of the pieces! Any time I work on a project, I always have the hardest time doing anything when I have almost nothing to go off of. Like starting, starting is always the hardest for me. But once I get rolling, things usually end up just falling into place. Hopefully, the same will happen for you, once you get rolling, everything will just fall right in place for ya! ^_^
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CycloneSP wrote:Hey, at least you have all of the pieces! Any time I work on a project, I always have the hardest time doing anything when I have almost nothing to go off of. Like starting, starting is always the hardest for me. But once I get rolling, things usually end up just falling into place. Hopefully, the same will happen for you, once you get rolling, everything will just fall right in place for ya! ^_^
Errrr...I've been rolling on this for five days now :)
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote:Actually, I think I hit it right on by referring to it as "fat" above. Yeah, I'm going to rework satisfaction/saturation to be replaced by a concept of fat, with a little fat being a good thing as it effectively increases your food storage, and a lot of fat having associated penalties.

Design crisis averted ;)
I guess Charcoal has an additional use now for the image obsessed Steve.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote: I guess Charcoal has an additional use now for the image obsessed Steve.
Hehe...would it surprise you to know that at one point in the design process I almost had Steve vomiting up his hunger meter under certain circumstances? Of course, wolves would run over and eat it if present ;)
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote:
finite8 wrote: I guess Charcoal has an additional use now for the image obsessed Steve.
Hehe...would it surprise you to know that at one point in the design process I almost had Steve vomiting up his hunger meter under certain circumstances? Of course, wolves would run over and eat it if present ;)
Well if you are adding that logic to wolves, it would be almost impossible to collect wolf dung.

Good to know you are pro-recycling though.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote: Well if you are adding that logic to wolves, it would be almost impossible to collect wolf dung.

Good to know you are pro-recycling though.
Oh no, I don't mean if they're sitting, just if you happen to be hunting with them. Anyways, it's irrelevant as I did not roll with the idea, was just an amusing aside ;)
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

Very glad to hear your working on rebalancing hunger and I can't wait to find out how you've approached it when its released. (Other than the hint regarding the fat)
The current system never sat well with me once I realised I had infinite food and only one or two of them shined well above the rest.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh no, I don't mean if they're sitting, just if you happen to be hunting with them. Anyways, it's irrelevant as I did not roll with the idea, was just an amusing aside ;)
I was actually making a cheap stab at the disgusting habits of dogs and how they are even known to consume anothers poop. Cats are far cleaner.

Anyway, i do love the way your mind works. The subtle mechanics you tend throw in make for a good surprise.