Walls!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Anamirian

Re: Walls!

Post by Anamirian »

I had a really nice wall, but I hardcore spawned away from it, and can't find it :(

So, I'm starting a new base and was wondering, does anyone have a nice looking wooden palisade?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Anamirian wrote:I had a really nice wall, but I hardcore spawned away from it, and can't find it :(

So, I'm starting a new base and was wondering, does anyone have a nice looking wooden palisade?
I don't have any screens at present, but I find alternating oak and spruce vertical logs (alternating to visually delimit the boundaries of each individual log), topped by Lightning Rods, and with Stakes acting as a horizontal lip to prevent spiders climbing in works well.
Anamirian

Post by Anamirian »

FlowerChild wrote: I don't have any screens at present, but I find alternating oak and spruce vertical logs (alternating to visually delimit the boundaries of each individual log), topped by Lightning Rods, and with Stakes acting as a horizontal lip to prevent spiders climbing in works well.
I rather like the sound of that, I think I'll wall off the village I just found that way, thanks!
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

See it's threads like these that leave me torn. I love the feel of anarchy play, but it greatly detracts from building things with great visual appeal. I can make a great underground hall for my hidden fortress but it loses some of it satisfaction knowing that, ideally, I'd be the only one to ever see it.

Let me see if I can dig up some of my old wall screen shots...
schubeast

Post by schubeast »

Here are some shots from a small long-running (going on 2 years) SMP. We switched to BTW in the fall (I finally convinced them). This castle is mostly the byproduct of myself and my brother. We really built this with a combination of changing and working with the landscape. Ended up cutting away half a mountain, which then became our citadel/keep area.
Spoiler
Show
The outer wall of our little walled castle/village

Minecraft-style Argonaths in front of the rail and foot entrances

Spoiler
Show
The walls to the castle keep. 3 blocks thick, stonebrick on the outsides, with gravel filling the center. Our "Meeting Hall" is visible on the cliff above.

Castle Keep gateway, with BTW portcullis.
Map showing the layout of our town/castle.
Spoiler
Show
haphazardnuke wrote: "Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I enjoyed looking at other people's walls. Normally I build my base as a long, very elegant underground hallway with doors leading to my factories, but this time on my server I think we are either going to build a floating city or a castle like the one FC posted
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

All of the discussion and all of the pictures of everyone's walls has really inspired me to actually finish walking in the village I've created. And because of this thread, I have several new ideas. Thank you to all who have posted, I'll try to finish my walls soon and post them here as well!
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

A while back I started a coop server for my friends and I. I had hardcore spawn off and fown a map that had a village just a few meters away from spawn so I walled it it up to that they could have a safe haven if they appeared at night. Entrances were even button controlled. One of the simplest walls I've ever built yet its the one that I like the most of mine.

Warning, huge screenshots.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
There are lots of nice inspirations in this thread. Thanks all.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

This is a three level wall design for a small compound and it really is way too impractical for what I have. But it looks good! The top level is an aqueduct, the mid level, railway, and the lower level a walkway. I'm using a strip of moulding to keep the spiders out.

Large screenies
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

I started a new base a few days ago and settled in a swamp. Pretty early on I realised that if I wanted any peace and quiet, I'd have to build out in the water, so I got started in the middle of a shallow lake with a simple wall that had one row of cobble at the water level... aaaand I still went insane from slimes humping my walls every morning (and throughout the rest of the day). I think I've got the design right now, though, as any slimes that hop up to my walls now sink into the trench and drown! Anyhow, on to the picture!
Spoiler
Show
P.S. the middle row of fences will be replaced with slats once I have a saw. Need to find cows somewhere first though.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Graphite wrote:I started a new base a few days ago and settled in a swamp. Pretty early on I realised that if I wanted any peace and quiet, I'd have to build out in the water, so I got started in the middle of a shallow lake with a simple wall that had one row of cobble at the water level... aaaand I still went insane from slimes humping my walls every morning (and throughout the rest of the day). I think I've got the design right now, though, as any slimes that hop up to my walls now sink into the trench and drown! Anyhow, on to the picture!
Spoiler
Show
P.S. the middle row of fences will be replaced with slats once I have a saw. Need to find cows somewhere first though.
That looks so good man! Very nice job! And I also love watching slimes drown. They are annoying as hell.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I just got the silly notion to place villagers on the top of walls in waterflows, to simulate guards walking back and forth patrolling.

To make it even sillier, use pressure plates outside the walls and block dispensers to change the floor underneath the waterflows with ice to simulate panicked guards facing an attack running back and forth :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

You're missing hooking up two pumps and a turntable to make the 'guards' go back and forth.

On topic: I personally like netherbrick crosses connected to each other by stone bricks.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

So I managed to get some time in this weekend and finish up the front part of my wall.

As a warning, the following screenshots are massive. I'm really sorry about that.
Spoiler
Show
Shot from the left side.

Shot from the front.

Shot from the right.

Shot from the top overlooking my work in progress village.

Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

Fairly cheap crenelated wall design with a gate and corner towers that I test built in creative. It keeps the spiders out and the villagers in and doesn't look half bad either.

Front
Spoiler
Show
Back
Spoiler
Show
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

@Padfoote, that wall design is exactly inline with my tastes.

Needless to say,summarily and shamelessly stolen :P
War..
War never changes.

Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:@Padfoote, that wall design is exactly inline with my tastes.

Needless to say,summarily and shamelessly stolen :P
Glad to hear you liked it!
ion

Post by ion »

my take a wall building
Spoiler
Show
StarsintheSky

Post by StarsintheSky »

Contributing:

I was really scratching my head over pallisades until I remembered: duh, what else am I doing with all these wooden columns? Now I've got a wooden/stone brick pallisade with packed earth path running the full perimeter of my castle with just enough room to expand. The walls are far from skeleton-proof and a well-timed creeper could definitely bust a hole but who doesn't want to live a little dangerously? At least it keeps the spiders out.
Spoiler
Show
On another note, I've been really surprised just how much visibility the pillars with flaming Hellfire blocks add to my developed land. Fire is really quite unmistakable at a distance.
IGN: Beschaulichkeit
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

Padfoote, your wall design is pleasing to the eye, although I'm perplexed as to how you stop the spiders climbing up the logs? Or is it a case of aesthetics over practicality?
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Wibbles wrote:Padfoote, your wall design is pleasing to the eye, although I'm perplexed as to how you stop the spiders climbing up the logs? Or is it a case of aesthetics over practicality?
He could achieve that quite easily by adding 2 sidings above the torches - Wouldn't disrupt the aesthetics, might even add some extra depth.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Wibbles wrote:Padfoote, your wall design is pleasing to the eye, although I'm perplexed as to how you stop the spiders climbing up the logs? Or is it a case of aesthetics over practicality?
I actually forgot about spiders as my world is so lit up where I'm building... I'll see if I can put something together that still looks good but keeps the spiders out.

@Thalarctia, thanks for the idea with the sidings, I'll probably be doing something like that now.

Edit: I'll try to get pictures up today, but if I do it'll be in about 12 hours. Sorry about that.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

My contribution:
Spoiler
Show
Exterior castle wall in my Let's Play series, so far we've built it to surround about half of the planned castle size.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

So thanks to Thalarctia's idea I managed to throw together something in my test world that I think still looks good and *should* keep spiders out. Ignore the different color wood; this was done where I was experimenting with different designs.

Warning, more large images follow.
Spoiler
Show
Now I'm asking here to see if anyone has any advice on what I should do for my gate. I have the mechanics in place and it works fine, I just cannot design anything that looks good. Below are some pictures for those who wish to help.
Shot from the front.
Show
Shot from the top.
Show
Shot from the inside.
Show
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I would begin by covering the platforms when the gate is open.

A pattern including siding would be my first bet.
War..
War never changes.